I'm New

Sazzy87

Hey all, well I did my first geocache yesterday and I am now addicted and have been looking at the map and am shocked to see there are some right around the corner from where I am located! I need some tips on how to start though and what to do. Am I abl;e to take things from the cache as long as I replace it with a differnt item? How does it work? Am I able to place my own cache somewhere too? Yea just advice and tips since I am new would be good please thanks :D

I'm fairly new to geocaching as well, my husbands family got us started on it. My main piece of advice is to create a kit before you go. You don't want to head out into the woods without a little "back up" as I put it. I got a bag and put my caches in there, a zip lock for the stuff I collected, extra zip locks just in case I come across a cache that needs a new one, some pens, gloves (because I know sticking your hand in a cobweb and dirt filled tree stump is not your favorite thing in the world), first aid kit, gardening shears, tweezers, and the list goes on and on. You'll never know what you need out there! I realized yesterday when we went, that bug spray needed to be added to our kit. Especially with our cold weather disappearing and the bugs starting to come out.

I'm fairly new to geocaching as well, my husbands family got us started on it. My main piece of advice is to create a kit before you go. You don't want to head out into the woods without a little "back up" as I put it. I got a bag and put my caches in there, a zip lock for the stuff I collected, extra zip locks just in case I come across a cache that needs a new one, some pens, gloves (because I know sticking your hand in a cobweb and dirt filled tree stump is not your favorite thing in the world), first aid kit, gardening shears, tweezers, and the list goes on and on. You'll never know what you need out there! I realized yesterday when we went, that bug spray needed to be added to our kit. Especially with our cold weather disappearing and the bugs starting to come out.

(Bolding and size change mine)

What in the world would you need gardening shears for? The object, IMHO, is to find the cache not destroy GZ in looking for it.

What in the world would you need gardening shears for? The object, IMHO, is to find the cache not destroy GZ in looking for it.

You beat me to it. I have no idea what you would need those for. Extreme bushwacking perhaps?

You beat me to it. I have no idea what you would need those for. Extreme bushwacking perhaps?

A caching buddy with a bad leg carries a small pair of snips/wire cutters......if you get tangled in briars they are handy for freeing yourself.

My wife liked the idea so much that she now carries a pair ( she has used them to free me a couple of times.)

They are small and fit in the palm of your hand.....I wouldn't want to lug around full size shears.