Difference between Oregon 450 and Dakota 20?

Thank You for the replies and the link.

I keep going round and round with myself because my grand daughter (10 yrs old) is not very happy with the Geomate Jr. I got her. She wants one with a map and an electronic compass like her grandpa (me) has got. She wants to be able to sit in the backseat with her own gps and be able to watch a map with the caches coming up so I do not try and miss any. hehehe...

I was going to try and just upgrade myself to a better unit (the Oregon 550 or explorist 710) till I got a good gander at the prices. I think I have wisely decided that if I put us in hock over what grandma calls "toys" that grandma would remove grandpa from the face of this ole earth. :)

I have wisely decided that if I put us in hock over what grandma calls "toys" that grandma would remove grandpa from the face of this ole earth. :)

Does grandma fall for the "oh, this old thing? we bought it last time, don't you remember" trick?

Yeah, neither does my wife :D

If budget is important, you can also consider a used Oregon 300 or 400. The 400t comes with topo map, you can load free OSM maps on the 300. The 300 is similar in features to a Dakota, but with the screen of a 450 (though less bright).

Edited by Chrysalides

Actually the 400t congress with topo not the 400.

You may want to have her log on her own account. There have been several pasta whete a cachet says I have for stone time as a team and now my child,ex-wife,ex boy/ girl friend wants their own account. It can be managed with GSAK but doing it at the start works or better

Actually the 400t congress with topo not the 400.

You may want to have her log on her own account. There have been several pasta whete a cachet says I have for stone time as a team and now my child,ex-wife,ex boy/ girl friend wants their own account. It can be managed with GSAK but doing it at the start works or better

I think you're plagued with auto-correct :)

But you're correct. There is no plain vanilla 400, but there are several variants, and the 400t is the one with topo. I'll edit my post above. And good point about their own account. Even if she doesn't want to log now, just create the account for her in case she wants it in the future.

Chrysalides,

:lol: I really wish that Grandma would fall for the "what this ole thing" ploy, but like yours, I do not see that happening. :lol::lol:

Everyone thank you for the advice and warnings. I will continue to ponder on my situation and continue to drool. LOL!

We did go yesterday and had a blast. Ary did hand the Geomate Jr. from around her neck but did not use it all day. So I am trying to figure out if that was some kind of silent peaceful protest. hehehehe... But everyone had fun and it was an excellent day even though we did not break our record of 10 finds. We were shooting for 11 but came up a little short.