Include cache name when emailing Cache Author

Cougarmeat

When I want to email an author about a cache it takes several steps and dealing wiht some ambiguity.

For example:

1. Navigate to cache

2. Click on the link of the cache author's name (no way to send her/him email directly from the cache)

3. On their profile page, click on Send email

4. Now you have to remember the cache name. Though you might have it in mind, there are always spelling issues

5. In addition to remembering the cache (could be 1 of 7 done that day) you come to a page that has Step 1, Step 2, etc.

5a. Except you have to skip Step 1. and leave the field blank.

It would be better if there was an "email the author" link on the web page that would embed the cache name in the email subject line.

I have to say that I've never had a problem remembering the cache name (I usually cut and paste the URL if I need to reference a specific cache in the email to the cache owner). However, I do think your idea has merit!

I'm trying to decide if I'd rather email the owner from the profile, with a general question, or email the owner from the cache page about a specific cache question (something I do not do often).

I'm glad you are starting a discussion about this.

I have to say that I've never had a problem remembering the cache name (I usually cut and paste the URL if I need to reference a specific cache in the email to the cache owner). However, I do think your idea has merit!

I'm trying to decide if I'd rather email the owner from the profile, with a general question, or email the owner from the cache page about a specific cache question (something I do not do often).

I'm glad you are starting a discussion about this.

This would be great for Virtual and Earthcaches!

From a cache owner's perspective, it is annoying to receive an e-mail "Can I get a hint on finding your cache?" With no reference to which cache it is. On the other fin, I do use cache pages to find the owners to e-mail about something that is not related to a particular cache.

Agreed.

I get a lot of emails from cachers asking about my caches but no idea which cache they are talking about. It would be nice to have some kind of auto include feature but we would also need the ability to NOT include any specific reference as well.

When I want to email an author about a cache it takes several steps and dealing wiht some ambiguity.

For example:

1. Navigate to cache

2. Click on the link of the cache author's name (no way to send her/him email directly from the cache)

4. Now you have to remember the cache name. Though you might have it in mind, there are always spelling issues

5. In addition to remembering the cache (could be 1 of 7 done that day) you come to a page that has Step 1, Step 2, etc.

It would be better if there was an "email the author" link on the web page that would embed the cache name in the email subject line.

Which is exactly what one of the Greasemonkey scripts loaded on my PC does ("GC little helper" I think).

The script puts a email icon beside the CO's link and when you click on it it opens the profile email page (with the cache name (and code) inserted) bypassing the main profile page.

For example:

1. Navigate to cache

That's great! now in only the other "over 5 million" geocachers used it!

Which is exactly what one of the Greasemonkey scripts loaded on my PC does ("GC little helper" I think).

The script puts a email icon beside the CO's link and when you click on it it opens the profile email page (with the cache name (and code) inserted) bypassing the main profile page.

For example:

1. Navigate to cache

...snip...Which is exactly what one of the Greasemonkey scripts loaded on my PC does ("GC little helper" I think).

...paste...That's great! now [if] only the other "over 5 million" geocachers used it!

(I think I've fixed what you were trying to say).

Any of those 5 mil users who are using a Windows PC and a Firefox or Chrome browser have nothing to stop them.

In fact according to the GC Little Helper download page 16,270 cachers have already done so.

I'm not saying that Groundspeak shouldn't do something similar but the reality is that even if such a suggestion is accepted you will be waiting a long time to see it. Why wait?