Suggestions for New Icons for Each Cache Page

AltDotAir

We try to make certain there's some kind of consistency in our own cache-postings with respect to three areas:

* kid-friendliness

* handicap accessibility

* dog-friendliness

and we also add in comments for appropriateness for mountain bikes and horseback access.

For us, some of these considerations are vital when trying to pick out a cache. So we'd like to suggest the following things be added to the cache report form, and displayed via graphical icon with each cache listing (on the page, with search results, etc.)

I'm not suggesting the web site has to be like a Michelin Guide, but some simple graphical symbols by caches would be an enormous help to helping extend the sport to those who have extra travel considerations.

Here are specifics I suggest as a strawman:

* kid-friendliness. One to Five Rating. Display this as follows: a five-person family consisting of two adult icons (one of which has mountain climbing gear on him/her), one sort of middle-sized teenager- kid icon, one kid-size, and one sort of toddler.

The most kid-friendly would be 5-stars, showing all five members of our fake geocaching family. You'd subtract off one family member as the cache became progressively less kid-friendly, until you were left with only one icon, the adult in special gear.

* Handicap/disabled accessibility. Put the universal disability access sign (the little half wheelchair) up on caches that can be done from a wheelchair (assuming full use of two hands). There aren't many out there, but this is a fun sport and it would be nice to advertise the few that are.

* Canine friendliness:

I suggest the following levels represented by cartoons:

NO DOGS: a friendly puppy with the international "no" sign over it.

DOGS ON LEASH ONLY: a friendly puppy on a leash connected to a human.

DOGS ALLOWED RESTRICTED HOURS: a picture of a dog sitting, looking up at a little clock icon.

DOGS OFF LEASH ALLOWED, BUT YOU MUST CLEAN UP: A dog next to a Mutt Mitt symbol.

DOGS ALLOWED NO RESTRICTIONS: Two happy dogs cavorting.

Bike/Mountainbike accessibility: put a symbol of a bike next to the cache name.

Horseback accessible: puta symbol of a horse and rider next to the cache name.

== Alt Dot Air ==

Oops, ClayJar beat me to linking you to this thread, with its 140+ replies and 2,300+ views, which will give you hours of interesting reading on the topic you've raised. To summarize that thread, Jeremy is in favor of a limited list of fact-based cache attributes, including dog-friendly and handicapped accessible. "Kid friendly" is more subjective and has been the subject of much debate. What's friendly for my 9-year old, who has several 3/3's in her list of finds, may not be friendly for a 3 year old who's having a bad day.

Based on receptiveness to the ideas posted in that other thread, I am expecting to see some version of cache attributes in the new .net version of geocaching.com. If TPTB could pause from their work to give us an update, that'd be great.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

how about an icon of a geocacher sitting in a computer chair, looking up at the international "Search Forums" symbol? icon_biggrin.gif

I once thought of accusing you of never having a post that helps. Then, you went and said something helpful. Of course it wasn't in this thread.

Oh wait. My comment on your comment, wasn't...

Nevermind.

Wherever you go there you are.

It would be nice to know about Dog friendly. I can't stand driving 200+ miles only to find "No Dogs"

So then I have to choose. Lock it up in the blazing hot sun inside the Bronco, or Let it run loose.

Loose wins.

Dogs allowed on leashes are another matter entirely. I do carry a leash.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I once thought of accusing you of never having a post that helps. Then, you went and said something helpful. Of course it wasn't in this thread.

I try to be 85% helpful a few days out of the week, to make it more difficult for people to pigeonhole me (which is REALLY uncomfortable if they don't know how to do it properly).

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=44768 has a http://www.9key.com/selector.asp on his website. Select the attributes you want, then copy-paste the HTML onto your cache page.

http://www.web-ling.com

Geez, thats one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I will be sure to include this on my next cache.

Nice Job

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

Dirtrunner, I agree! I've already edited several of my cache pages to add the appropriate icons. So easy to use! Thanks, 9Key, for developing this, and thanks too to Webling for bringing it to our attention.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Hi!

I'm glad you folks like it!

I have some more icons to add if I get the time.

If you have any suggestions for more icons, post them here or email me.

Seeya!

Will ~ 9Key

I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagited life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.

Byron

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

It looks like you had better luck downsizing that kid icon than I did.

I'll use yours and replace the Teddy Bear icon.

I'm using a black and white 30 x 30 GIF format in 'The Selector'.

Thanks!

I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagited life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.

Byron

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

I've added several more icons to http://www.texasgeocaching.com/selector.asp.

I love your icons, especially the new ones. Although now I need to go over my caches AGAIn and add the newer ones. icon_mad.gif just kidding, they are great. off the top of my head I can only think of two things you could add. One: Bring your own pen. Two: muddy/swamp area. hell we can call it brian Snat conditions for short. icon_biggrin.gif

I was going to suggest a symbol designating something of interest nearby. This is vague I realize, but as an example, I hid one geocache near a crashed fighter jet. This really isn't necesary i realized since if you're placing a cache to "show" something interesting it'll likely be discussed in your description.

One thing that your little icons don't do though is show up on the main list of caches. I absolutely love your icons and will use them, but I just wish there was a way for geocaching.com to display them when I check for "new caches near my zipcode". that's where these little guys would be most helpful. Thats not your fault of course.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com