NUVI driving me crazy

Hi.

I have searched for this problem for some time and have not found a solution.

I have a NUVI 255 and I load geocaches on the unit using GSAK and macro and then POI loader.

What happens when I drive around the NUVI bings to tell me that there is a cache within my set range. I have it set at 1km. On some occasions there seem to be certain areas where cache notification seems to continue to bing back and forth between two or more caches and this continues until I get out of range of these caches.

It is not just because of multiple caches because in some areas I can get numerous bings for but only once for each cache. There seems to be something specific about those caches and the way that they are handled that causes this to occur.

Has anyone had this happen to them and if so have you found a solution for it?

Thanks for any help or input.

On some occasions there seem to be certain areas where cache notification seems to continue to bing back and forth between two or more caches and this continues until I get out of range of these caches.

Could it be finding the nearest cache by street route? If so, the shortest route may lead to a different cache for a while, then back to the other.

If so, even "pedestrian" mode may not help. But you could try another mode.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks for the input.

What I am trying to describe is this.

I am driving down a road with my NUVI loaded with caches.

It bings a warning that there is a cache nearby. Then a few seconds later it bings again indicating another cache.

This goes on and on, one cache then the other until I leave the area or pull the SD card from the NUVI

If I stop the vehicle the binging will go on forever until I poll the card or turn off the unit.

Thanks for the input.

What I am trying to describe is this.

I am driving down a road with my NUVI loaded with caches.

It bings a warning that there is a cache nearby. Then a few seconds later it bings again indicating another cache.

This goes on and on, one cache then the other until I leave the area or pull the SD card from the NUVI

If I stop the vehicle the binging will go on forever until I poll the card or turn off the unit.

So, you don't want that feature? You should be able to turn that OFF within GSAK or decrease the distance at which the notifications occur. I don't think you can do this from the NUVI itself. You have to disable it within GSAK and re-upload.

Edited by Lieblweb

Thanks but I don't think that it has anything to do with the proximity settings.

I can drive along a road within range of a path that has numerous caches and each one will bing only once even though many are within the set range.

Then there are two caches that seem to interfere with each other and causes the NUVI bing back and forth between them. There appears to be something about these caches that does not turn the warning bing off if the other one is within range also.

Remember the old soundrecorder.exe program in earlier versions of Windows? The sound files used to notify you of a nearby cache can be edited in the soundrecorder program. I was having the same problem you're having and, yes, it will drive you nuts. I edited the sound files by changing the time the sound file runs from over two seconds down to 1/4 second. It worked. If I'm in a nest of caches, I only get one quick "ding" for each cache and it stops.

Remember the old soundrecorder.exe program in earlier versions of Windows? The sound files used to notify you of a nearby cache can be edited in the soundrecorder program. I was having the same problem you're having and, yes, it will drive you nuts. I edited the sound files by changing the time the sound file runs from over two seconds down to 1/4 second. It worked. If I'm in a nest of caches, I only get one quick "ding" for each cache and it stops.

Thanks.

I would love to try this as it really is annoying.

How do you do this?

I have had the same thing happen with a Nuvi 255 using GSAK macro. It really only happened in one location. I believe that there were 3 caches within the radius I set when running the macro. It happened because I stopped in this location often. I did not want to find these caches, so removed them from GSAK before doing the macro. As was mentioned earlier, set your radius lower.

Thanks.

I would love to try this as it really is annoying.

How do you do this?

Find and download soundrecorder.exe to a computer with Windows XP or earlier. Open the Tourguide wav files. Edit the file to shorten the duration of playback to .25 seconds. Save it and that should do it. It's not difficult at all. You should save a copy of the original file just in case you do make a mistake.