Modeling Grass "paint" for camo?

voxadam

Water based sounds like it won't work outside, BUT

You can always make your own..

First apply a light color base coat to your container, let dry until tacky.

Apply your favored shade off green paint and before it begins to set, run a broom in a straight stroke along it.

Haven't done myself, but have seen others do this with pretty good results. The real trick is running the bristles of the broom along it at the right moment, between the paint being thin and setting.

I am a huge fan of physical camo over just painting a flat surface.

As am I. I did a nice (at least, I think so) camo job on a small lock-n-lock:

00000091g.jpg

Just sanded it down, spayed it with plastic primer, then a handful of coats of sand-ish color. While it was tacky I took some beach sand and sprinkled it on all sides. I plan on placing it on... You guessed it... The beach!

A slight oversight was that the paint would crack when I closed the tabs, since I had it laid out flat when I painted it <_< . Oh well, a mistake I won't make next time!

As others have said, the idea of three dimensional camo is a good one. But I think the stuff you linked to is for models, in other words it is scaled down too much. You might try looking in the lawn and garden or floral stores to find what amounts to artificial grass. I've seen plastic leaves, ivy in particular, that looked so real it was hard to tell it was plastic when mixed in with the real stuff.

I've meant to visit stores for artificial plants, because how effective they can be in the right setting. Some cheap stuff from the Michael's craft store in my area has done pretty well for a few hides. If you aren't looking close, it fools you (one DNF because someone digging in leafs buried the actual cache within inches of where they were searching) which I trust not only to make the search a little challenging, but the hide it from muggles. Ability to hide in plain sight is desireable, but if you only are working in paints then there's plenty of room for artistic approaches.

Just a guess, but it is for modeling and other indoor uses. I don't think it will stand up too well facing UV rays for long.
That's been my experience with decorator paints. Even with a good primer under them and clearcoat over them, they don't last. And I haven't found a flat clearcoat. The matte clearcoat is still too shiny to look real.

My favorite camouflage technique is to construct something hollow that blends in with the area, like an extra 2x4 or 4x4 on something made of wood. Paint it with color-matched paint, and put the actual container in the hollow.

After that, I like using outdoor adhesive to glue things to the container. What you glue to the container depends on where you're going to hide it. Before you glue camouflage material to the container, paint it with a primer that is generally close to the color of the camouflage; a bit darker is better than a bit lighter. This hides any gaps in the camouflage.

I haven't found a flat clearcoat. The matte clearcoat is still too shiny to look real.

I used to sell paint. I'm not sure it's really all that possible to make a flat, clear paint. Flat paint is flat because it's both opaque and because the surface dries with a minute texture (so it doesn't reflect light). That's why flat painted walls can get shiny spots -- rubbing the paint can flatten the surface, making it more reflective. Take away the opacity, and it makes it very difficult to be nonreflective. As you note, matte clearcoat isn't even really matte -- I'd call it satin at best.