Trackable management

ChicFromDaStix

I have been thinking about all the trackables that seem to come up missing. Like the cache says there is a trackable in them but when you get there there's none :( I realize some of it is due to muggles maybe, some to do with cachers who for whatever reason decide to keep them(or steal them as I look at it) but I also think there is the possibility that the 2 step process to retrieve a trackable may play a role for new cachers as well as hurried to log cache due to life being busy cachers. Like right now to retrieve a trackable you have to log the cache as found than go back to the cache page and clink on the trackable inventory to go to it's page to retrieve it. My thoughts on this would be to add to the bottom of the cache logging area the same type of thing that's there for dropping off a trackable. Like I can drop off trackables that are in MY inventory right on the same page as I am logging found cache. Why not include a similar feature showing CACHE inventory just above the MY inventory and you could drop off and pick up all in the same step as logging cache found. I love to hear thoughts on this as well as if anyone knows who I really am susposed to write to with such ideas ~ChicFromDaStix You can email me as well if you do not want to post here :)Email me

I have been thinking about all the trackables that seem to come up missing. Like the cache says there is a trackable in them but when you get there there's none :( I realize some of it is due to muggles maybe, some to do with cachers who for whatever reason decide to keep them(or steal them as I look at it) but I also think there is the possibility that the 2 step process to retrieve a trackable may play a role for new cachers as well as hurried to log cache due to life being busy cachers. Like right now to retrieve a trackable you have to log the cache as found than go back to the cache page and clink on the trackable inventory to go to it's page to retrieve it. My thoughts on this would be to add to the bottom of the cache logging area the same type of thing that's there for dropping off a trackable. Like I can drop off trackables that are in MY inventory right on the same page as I am logging found cache. Why not include a similar feature showing CACHE inventory just above the MY inventory and you could drop off and pick up all in the same step as logging cache found. I love to hear thoughts on this as well as if anyone knows who I really am susposed to write to with such ideas ~ChicFromDaStix You can email me as well if you do not want to post here :)Email me

Last first? Feature Discussions and Suggestions in the General Discussions category is the current place for finalized proposals I believe... but some discussion here might help refine the proposal.

I'm not sure that the process of logging a trackable would benefit all that much, but then I just read this now.

You can all ready access the TB page from the current or even past listings. Perhaps your idea would simply reformat the log a trackable selection a wee bit. Consider that logging a TB wants the 'secret' tracking number. That's probably because not many people would already know the TB reference # or proper name. Or what about a found TB that isn't listed in the cache due to bad logging or none at the point of finding it. People are late / non loggers for many reasons... but the TN is or is NOT.

Right now after only a few moments thought, can see both good and bad in the idea, but lots questionable in terms of execution.

First thing for me would be to see what the possible benefits would be. OK, I use a computer only, when logging, moving the mouse over and clicking as it is, is not a problem. Is that the case with mobile users?

I'd prefer one obviously marked route that works for all systems. That would be worth some effort, maybe even two routes, but not too many.

Maybe instead of a listing, just a box for entry with "log a TB now?" and take the TN as input. then just log it and it's done.

That process followed by "log another TB now?" or something.

I will think some on it however.

Doug 7rxc

Why not include a similar feature showing CACHE inventory just above the MY inventory and you could drop off and pick up all in the same step as logging cache found. I love to hear thoughts on this as well

If I select "drop" and "retrieve", where's the TB? I may "drop" a TB I'm carrying, and decide to then "retrieve it". If that's all on one screen (actually, it won't be listed in the cache at that exact moment), it adds to the confusion. I'm confused just talking about it. :anicute:

We can change the process so that you don't do a drop/retrieve, you must do a "visit" in the above case, but now you have to retrain people who got accustomed to the way they liked to do it. Plus "visit" and "drop/retrieve" are NOT exactly the same -- with "visit" the TO doesn't get notified of Trackable movement.

Also, if I find a TB that's listed incorrectly, I have lots of work ahead on that cache log (it's listed in cache inventory, but it's physically in MY inventory, yet not listed in my inventory). What will people do when making a "simple" Found It log, when error messages start popping up? My guess: they'll just leave the logs a mess (note that's the way many people currently do that, it's kind of full-circle back to the original problem). I've suggested we need better cachers. :laughing:

It's true that the separate, entirely different ways you retrieve and drop a Trackable have steep learning curves. Assuming the "missing" Trackables are simply errors in logs, maybe there should be more info readily available (on Cache Note sheets, etc.).

Keep the ideas coming. The ideas are great, maybe some would work nicely, and some will be implemented. There's a Suggestion forum as mentioned just for this. But here's the deal. The ideas seem to have steps to them:

Step 1) Everyone must accurately log Trackables all the time.

Step 2) Idea Goes Here. Unfortunately, Step 1 is the kicker.

Edited by kunarion

Hmmm I thank you folks for taking the time to read and respond. I think you are right maybe the re-training curve would out weigh the ease of what restructure may offer. I am relatively new (1.5y) I just get frustrated with all the missing travelers out there saying they are sitting somewhere they are not. Just hope this trend of keeping or not logging ends soon. Happy caching.

I believe showing the cache inventory you suggest is a good idea. I also think that when you drop one of your trackables in the cache that a dialogue box come up to allow you to post a note to the TB's page. Right now you have have to go back to the cache page, click on the travel bug, and then post a comment. A lot of the fun of owning a trackable is getting comments on it.

I was actually coming on here to post a similar idea to chicfromdastix. I have noticed there havent been any trackables in the caches i have ever visited. While posting the log for our last cache visited it hit me. On the App on my phone there is a drop trackable check box for the log posting feature. I think there needs to be an easy quick check box for retrieve as well. I think that would at least help to correct the inventory, and we may see that the bugs arent actually missing, just too much of a pain in the rear to log from the phone app. Not that i have been doing this all that long, but ive seen the simpler you make things the more likely it is to be done. Just my 2 cents.

Doug

I think being able to post both the drop and pick up on the same page would be very helpful and maybe keep more bugs from get lost. Then when someone says they are missing from the cache you should be able to go to the trackable page and see who picked it up. I know I currently have about 15 missing and this would be very helpful.

I posted this i another thread, but I would like to see the Cache Inventory have a graveyard section with TBs that went missing from that cache greyed out like an archived cache. this would eliminate going to caches thinking there are TBs there. Additionally a large graveyard could serve as a warning that the cache gets muggled frequently.

I agree the current method of logging TBs is cumbersome but don't have any brilliant ideas to streamline the process.

OK...... Here's my thoughts.

When i was a new cacher, the most exciting thing for me was finding trackables, so i started to mostly target caches with trackables in them.

I began to notice that VERY OFTEN, the trackables listed on the 'inventory' list, were NOT IN THE CACHE.

This REALLY irked me, and i spent a lot of time, trying to solve the problem, but in a very childish way. I started accusing COs of not doing their job.

I thought "how dare you have an inventory list that's not kept up to date?

It's false advertising, and it's ALL your fault."

But i found out that maintaining an inventor list, is NOT in their job discription.

I also threw A LOT of blame at GS for not fixing the problem.

After caching for a couple of years it's finally dawned on me that the TO is the solution to the problem. WE often don't manage our trackaables well AT ALL.

I consider myself a trackables GURU.

I've had over 6000 visits to my profile page from people looking for advice on trackables and yet my own trackables are not up to date.

I probably have 30 trackables and i KNOW for a fact that some of them haven't been logged for months. How dare I, after throwing the blame at everyone within reach, not do the exact thing that i was whining about.

The trackables pages have been showing that my trackable is in the cache for months now, and I haven't taken the time to look at the logs to try to determine whether it's there or not.

This is what we should be doing.

- Is it an inactive cache?

If there haven't been very many 'found it' logs lately it could still be there, but wouldn't it be the right thing to do to write a note asking for the next cacher to check for it.

- If it's an active cache, wouldn't it be the right thing to do to search the logs a bit?

Often you'll find a note from a cacher saying that there NO trackables in the cache.

In this is the case MARK YOUR TRACKABLE AS MISSING.

This isn't the obituary for your trackable, because if it's found and logged by a cacher, it's instantly 'back in play'.

- If you don't see any messages, write that note asking for the next cacher to check on it. If you don't get a response, write another note, or just mark it as missing, like i said, it goes right back into play with the next log entry.

I think it's up to us TOs to monitor our trackables and mark them missing after a certain length of time.

Also...

I totally agree that it would be great if GS made the process of logging a 'retrieved' message on the same page as the 'found it' page, but experienced cachers, generally make the log entry in a timely manner, in spite of the cumbersome process.

Mostly though..... those that DON'T log them as retrieved, are either newbies or geocoin thieves, and so making the process less cumbersome isn't going make much difference in these cases.

It's obvious why the coin thieves don't make a log entry.

With the newbies....

- some of them take the trackable thinking it's swag, so it won't ever get logged.

- some of them either don't know how to make log entrys for trackables, or they are not even aware that it's a requirement.

In these cases... once they place the trackable back into a cache, the next cacher to retrieve it will probably be able to get it back on track,[it's not that difficult].

BUT... a lot of these newbies either never cache again or there's a long period of inactivity, and this obviously creates problems.

Just my 2 cents.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

EXMAN