How do I Geocache in a Different Country without Data or Wifi?

dijitaldharma

Hello!

I'm going to Costa Rica in a few days and it just occurred to me that I would LOVE to grab some international caches while there! However, I won't have data or wifi, and I currently use the Geocache App for iPhone. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can accomplish this? Does the app have a setting that will allow me to use it without data? Is there a different app that will suit me better? Should I purchase a GPS instead? If so, what is a good but inexpensive one to buy?

Thank you for your help!!

DijitalDharma

Hello!

I'm going to Costa Rica in a few days and it just occurred to me that I would LOVE to grab some international caches while there! However, I won't have data or wifi, and I currently use the Geocache App for iPhone. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can accomplish this? Does the app have a setting that will allow me to use it without data? Is there a different app that will suit me better? Should I purchase a GPS instead? If so, what is a good but inexpensive one to buy?

DijitalDharma

I live in the US but occasionally visit Brazil. I have a Windows Phone 7 w/ the geocaching app. I also have a Garmin Oregon 450. The first time I came to Brazil, I didn't have the latter so I used the phone and made sure I enabled my data plan before I flew to Brazil. It worked - I found a cache but... OUCH that was expensive! Now I use my Garmin when I'm here and it works just as great as it does back home without costing me a penny additional. Do yourself a favor... buy a GPS. Not only will it work even in areas without cell coverage (big issue), but you'll likely enjoy it back home as well.

I'd rather give $$ to Garmin and have something reusable than pay super high data rates to AT&T and not have anything to show for it other than smileys.

Edited by Redfist

Thanks for the tips everyone! I just remembered that I ordered a Where 2 GPS for my rental car - I THINK I may be able to use that for geocaching, too! Do you think? I am definitely going to look into a REAL GPS anyway - just because I travel a lot and this will probably come up again!

Kenas - I'm still wet behind the ears with regards to queries, so I'm not sure how that would work. Do you have more information on how I can do that?

Sure, using the geocaching app w/o data or wifi is possible. It takes some preparation though. You will need to save some data for offline use. The most straight forward way is to run a PQ and then download that, and save the applicable maps that you might need. Another approach is to save individual caches for offline use.

Yet another approach would involved printouts of the cache listing you intend to visit. One could then navigate to the published coordinates using the compass app on the iphone, or an other app. Or, from any saved cache on the iphone geocaching app one can create an additional waypoint (enter the coordinates manually) and navigate to it using the compass pointer.

Hello!

DijitalDharma

Best of luck.

The iPhone is not great on accuracy without cell towers etc too but the way forward using your phone with PQ will work. I do the same.

View on a map the rough area you are going to then generate/save as a pocket query based on the map. May need to look up in 101 as doing it from memory not easy but actually is fairly easy and clever to achieve. Then after you need to go into the app on your phone, view your PQ's and "save for offline use".

This works for me although the accuracy of the phone is never very good. Havent checked if this works since they took away google maps but hopefully still an option.

You can run a PQ in other ways if this doesnt work.

Have a great holiday and happy caching.

Back in the early days, we printed cache pages out. There were a lot less caches then. For a vacation, this could be the way to go.
I still like printing cache descriptions when I take newbies out geocaching. It's just a lot easier to hand them a copy of the cache description than to try to explain paperless caching from the beginning. Later, after we've found a few together, they'll have questions if they're interested in pursuing geocaching further.

I use a Cachsense with my Blackberry as it allows me to download multiple PQ's directly to my phone and store them until needed. So if I know I'm going to be in an area without cell service (like hiking in the mountains), I can download the PQs I'll need before I go on my trip. Once I'm there, I can use my app and choose which ever PQ I want to use, then do my hunts. The GPS in my BB uses satellites rather than cell towers, so I don't need any cell tower connectivity to use the GPS in my phone.

Maybe there's a way for your iPhone app upload and store PQ's and use it similarly without cell service.