Geomate No longer in business?

We are new to geocaching and have heard a lot of buzz about the GeoMate Jr. I Googled it tonight, and saw that they are no longer in business; http://geomatejr.com/ They have found a temporary home for the updates but that doesn't feel very promising to a person looking to buy one. Can any of you recommend a popular kid friendly unit? My kids are 9 and 12.

Thanks.

stflyer,

Have you tried using the PQ software geomateQtGuiApp.exe that can be downloaded from the http://geomatejr.com/ site?

Just look in the following sentence on that site and click on the word "here" and you will be able to download a small program that will allow you to update the Geomate Jr. with a gpx PQ file from GS.

To help keep the adventures happening however, we have made some software available here that will allow anyone with an Update Kit and a PC to load a Pocket Query from Geocaching.com to a Geomate.jr.

It works when the Geomate sight is not working. In fact I use that little gem instead of the geomate jr site.

Can any of you recommend a popular kid friendly unit? My kids are 9 and 12.

My 12 year old daughter had no problem figuring out the Garmin Oregon. You should be able to get the older (used) Oregon 300 for not too much money. Personally I find the touch screen units to be easier to figure out without reading the manual. Which is a good thing, because Garmin's manuals are really bad.

Some questions for you :

1. What's your budget?

2. Do you intend to become a premium member?

3. Are you interested in installing maps on the GPS receiver?

Thanks a lot!

Stefan

stflyer,

Have you tried using the PQ software geomateQtGuiApp.exe that can be downloaded from the http://geomatejr.com/ site?

Just look in the following sentence on that site and click on the word "here" and you will be able to download a small program that will allow you to update the Geomate Jr. with a gpx PQ file from GS.

To help keep the adventures happening however, we have made some software available here that will allow anyone with an Update Kit and a PC to load a Pocket Query from Geocaching.com to a Geomate.jr.

It works when the Geomate sight is not working. In fact I use that little gem instead of the geomate jr site.

I bought the GeomateJr for my granddaughter for her birthday. I wanted to update the system since I had no idea what timeframe the caches were in that were included from the factory. I was able to run the update to a factory default of 4/6/2012. I tried to upload a PQ into the Geomatejr, but although it says, 500 caches converted, it fails to upload any database into the unit. I would like to upload PQ because the default list says it only includes caches over 6 months old. Has anyone else tried to do this? I would appreciate any help or tips.

If you are trying to load a PQ into the Jr. make sure that it come from the ground speak site. Unzip it, and DO NOT run it through any software such as GSAK, EasyGPS, Basecamp, etc...

If you try to do that it will fail. Just download your PQ, unzip it, and load the gpx file not the gpx-wpt file. Should work fine then.

If you are trying to load a PQ into the Jr. make sure that it come from the ground speak site. Unzip it, and DO NOT run it through any software such as GSAK, EasyGPS, Basecamp, etc...

If you try to do that it will fail. Just download your PQ, unzip it, and load the gpx file not the gpx-wpt file. Should work fine then.

That's a total waste of time. My serious GPS can load a PQ. The Geomate had a unique niche as a vast reservoir of caches for unexpected travels. Now it's just another broken toy that has no value. At least I didn't pay much for it.

I'm having the darndest time getting signed into the update area. I had this problem earlier then all of a sudden, I got in. Now again, I have carefully entered my email and password and nothing happens. It just stays on the sign on screen. Is there a limit on how often you can access? I have the file unzipped, but can't go any further at this time because I can't get signed in. This is very frustrating for something that is supposed to be so easy.

QuiltinNana,

The below can apply to you also. You can load a PQ on the Jr. without the site if you download thier software and use it.

stflyer,

I would much rather let me 5 year old grandson hold the Jr. than let him hold my 450. :) Plus Aryanna my grand daughter still uses the Jr., but she wants a more "grown up" one like grandpa has. lololol

That's a total waste of time. My serious GPS can load a PQ. The Geomate had a unique niche as a vast reservoir of caches for unexpected travels. Now it's just another broken toy that has no value. At least I didn't pay much for it.

QuiltinNana,

The below can apply to you also. You can load a PQ on the Jr. without the site if you download thier software and use it.

stflyer,

Evidently I missed the window where the Geomate site would have let me load North America? The last time I could update was 12-31-11. I would be willing to pay to be able to load a multitude of states! The Geomate is our "spur of the moment" geocaching device. A pocket query is just NOT the same thing at all! Granted I am NOT a computer person~~~ but why can't someone come up with Geomate's type of update/download???

I agree . . . I carry the Geomate Jr. with me where ever I go so I will always be ready to cache. I use my new Garmin etrex 10 to download caches for places I know I am going to visit but I like the abilit to pull out the Geomate and find caches nearby. (I began caching last July and am still in awe of this hobby.)

I agree . . . I carry the Geomate Jr. with me where ever I go so I will always be ready to cache. I use my new Garmin etrex 10 to download caches for places I know I am going to visit but I like the abilit to pull out the Geomate and find caches nearby. (I began caching last July and am still in awe of this hobby.)

And when were you last able to get one of these all encompassing "always be ready to cache" downloads? I can't get one, and my Geomate is now nothing more than a paperweight.

I've tried using the link to download a PQ, but I'm not sure it's working correctly. I downloaded my PQ file, then opened up the link, select the GPX file. Under Handy info it tells me that the Geomatejr is detected, gives me firmware geomatejr V1004 RE X2, then beside database: geomatejrdb: caches within 250 miles (my pocket query name). There is a long box below this, it looks like the kind of box that shows progress, but nothing happens in it. My question is - Should there be something in this box?