separate logs?

PirateKel

Related question: If a trackable owner deletes a Visit log on their trackable, does the cacher who 'visited' the trackable get an email to say that the log has been deleted? :huh:

I don't recall seeing a definite answer to this one.

MrsB

Yes they do. I did that to one of my trackables, and it was my dad that did the extra visiting. He quickly asked me why I did that.

If you delete any of those logs, the trackable loses that mileage.

If you delete logs of retrieval or placement, you will alter the cache AND the cachers history. Groundspeak may well intercede if you do.

Not unlike what has been discussed before.

I dont care about the mileage because in my opinion it wasnt 'real' mileage. And I didnt see this anywhere. Feel free to post a link if you know where it is.

I have PAGES of one cacher taking it to caches.... it has only been placed in three caches... including mine, where it started..

maybe I can contact Groundspeak...

If you delete any of those logs, the trackable loses that mileage.

If you delete logs of retrieval or placement, you will alter the cache AND the cachers history. Groundspeak may well intercede if you do.

Not unlike what has been discussed before.

I dont care about the mileage because in my opinion it wasnt 'real' mileage. And I didnt see this anywhere. Feel free to post a link if you know where it is.

I have PAGES of one cacher taking it to caches.... it has only been placed in three caches... including mine, where it started..

maybe I can contact Groundspeak...

I don't think Groudspeak is going to help you on that one. They offer the tool, someone used it.

If you want to delete those extra visits, go ahead. Just know that the person who did the visiting is going to be notified. They might get upset that you are deleting something they did, and they actually thought they were being nice. If they still have your trackable, or might come into contact with another of your trackables, they could even get vengeful.

I would say just let it stand, and move on. It is a bit of the history of the trackable.

Related question: If a trackable owner deletes a Visit log on their trackable, does the cacher who 'visited' the trackable get an email to say that the log has been deleted? :huh:

I don't recall seeing a definite answer to this one.

MrsB

Yes they do. I did that to one of my trackables, and it was my dad that did the extra visiting. He quickly asked me why I did that.

Thanks for that. :)

MrsB

I dont care about the mileage because in my opinion it wasnt 'real' mileage...

If the cacher had your TB with him as he visited all those caches (we assume he did) how is it not "real mileage"? Would you rather he had done two logs for your TB at each cache he visited - a 'dropped off' followed by a 'retrieved from'? That used to be the way it was done before the Visit log was introduced.

I understand that it's a bit boring just to see a whole lot of 'took it to' logs on your TB but it does mean that your TB was moving around and it's not as though he's filled up all the pages and there's no space left - there are endless pages still available for all the subsequent moves that your TB will make. Just be happy that your TB is still going places!

MrsB :)

If the cacher had your TB with him as he visited all those caches (we assume he did) how is it not "real mileage"? Would you rather he had done two logs for your TB at each cache he visited - a 'dropped off' followed by a 'retrieved from'? That used to be the way it was done before the Visit log was introduced.

I understand that it's a bit boring just to see a whole lot of 'took it to' logs on your TB but it does mean that your TB was moving around and it's not as though he's filled up all the pages and there's no space left - there are endless pages still available for all the subsequent moves that your TB will make. Just be happy that your TB is still going places!

MrsB :)

I am happy now that it is actually really moving again.

I know that there are a lot of TBs out there that do not have goals. Mine does. visiting cache after cache in the same area is not it's goal. The guy who had it has kept other TB's for months. That is not what I wanted for it.

Some people may like the visiting idea, well in my opinion I would say visiting one or 2 caches that perhaps the tb doesnt fit in, yeah ok that makes sense. But not for several weeks.... especially if it is a TB with a goal. And all of the visiting logs make it difficult to see the journey of the actual goal.

I've come across people who keep statistics for how many miles they've moved trackables. That may be the issue with your bug-napper. They'll often keep trackables logging miles in a totally opposite direction of the trackable's mission.

Everybody plays the geocaching game differently. That's what makes it so great.

Personally, I wish they'd eliminate the "took it to" option, but that's just one person's opinion. Other folks like it. Someone once said, "You cant please everybody, so you've got to please yourself."

Play the game how you enjoy playing it.

I've come across people who keep statistics for how many miles they've moved trackables. That may be the issue with your bug-napper. They'll often keep trackables logging miles in a totally opposite direction of the trackable's mission.

Everybody plays the geocaching game differently. That's what makes it so great.

Personally, I wish they'd eliminate the "took it to" option, but that's just one person's opinion. Other folks like it. Someone once said, "You cant please everybody, so you've got to please yourself."

Play the game how you enjoy playing it.

"like"

lol

If we mark a traveller as visiting a cache, we try to make sure there is a good reason to do so - either having something to do with its goal, or to add a chunk of mileage, or to highlight a really great area. We upload pictures and make sure we write a log that explains what was happening.

Here's an example: George's Journey

We got a very nice note from the TB owner for our efforts. Much appreciated!