Oregan 450

For someone on a budget who wants something relatively easy to use and full of essential features, the Oregon 450 is an excellent choice.

I've owned one and was very happy with it. I'm currently a Montana 650 owner but wouldn't be bummed if I had to use an Oregon 450 for whatever reason.

Edited by yogazoo

Just wandered if anyone uses the Oregan 450---and how satisfied they are with with it?

We got one some time ago and its what my wife uses.....its a very nice unit with really high resolution maps, paperless, holds 5000 caches, and more. Its a touch screen and not as bright as a 62S which has buttons but its better for entering text. She used a 60CSx before and has not entertained going back so that says a lot.

I now use a 62S which has buttons ( not touchscreen ) and personally, I like it a lot better than the 450 because the screen is brighter and my big fingers don't like touchscreens. The 62S also has a quad. helix antenna which IMOP gives it a bit of an edge.

Both great top of the line units with the main difference is the touchscreen.......it would be good to visit a retailer who handles both so you could try them.

I have the 450 and Love It! It is easy to use and the profiles that you can set up is great. Love the 3 axis electronic compass. That is my main go to when close to the cache. I use the maps with auto routing (i am the passenger) to get to the cache area then switch to the geocaching profile. It is a very versatile GPS. I love the Oregon so much that I am slowly saving for a used Oregon 550 to add a camera function to it so that is one less thing that I have to take around with me. :) Then the 450 will become my wifes.

Being new to geocaching and looking for a decent gps unit, I'm really confused about what really delivers. I read threads like this giving great reviews to units like the Oregon 450 group and the 62s units, then go to Ama... to see the prices and reviews there and see real performance issues. Things like accuracy, battery life and changing, daylight readability. What gives? Just trying to be an intelligent shopper.

Being new to geocaching and looking for a decent gps unit, I'm really confused about what really delivers. I read threads like this giving great reviews to units like the Oregon 450 group and the 62s units, then go to Ama... to see the prices and reviews there and see real performance issues. Things like accuracy, battery life and changing, daylight readability. What gives? Just trying to be an intelligent shopper.

The reviews that you see on that site are helpful in determining the types of problems that you might encounter with a purchase, but they are not helpful in determining how prevalent that problem is. People who have problems with a purchase are much more likely to post a review than are satisfied customers. For every negative review, there might be a thousand people who are happy and didn't bother to post it. You just can't tell.

I too got a headache reading reviews.....I ended up buying both the units you mention and we really like them. A lot of the issues you read about have been corrected with new firmware. The only actual issue remaining is the " sticky " issue ( read about it in these forums )but it really is not a deal killer....more an inconvenience......hopefully it will be addressed soon with new firmware. I meet hundreds of cachers in the field and the 450 and 62S are being used more than any other. As I've said, go to a supplier and handle both to see which you prefer.

If I could ask a quick question here, without "hijacking" the original poster's thread .... What is the maximum size microSD card the 450 can use?

2/15/12: I've found, via an older thread, the answer to my question is 4G although others claim to be using 8G with success.

Edited by MuskokaGuy

Thank-you group for your insiteful comments. It reduces the purchase frustration.

Blew by the new REI in our area, they had both the 450 and 62s on teathers.

I'm guessing it says something if REI carries these units.

Will venture back and ask if they have units I can actually handle without the ball and chain :)

What I really would like to do is connect with a possible geocaching reviewer near the 94566 zip code and "take a hike".

I volunteer as a safety patrol person in the East Bay Regional Parks(Northern CA)-it allows careful caching.

We are gifted with over 110k acres of trails, and growing.(sorry for the ad, Love this place.:)

BTW I'm impressed with the quality, respect and care in comments posted on this website that I've been exposed to.

Thank-you group for your insiteful comments. It reduces the purchase frustration.

Blew by the new REI in our area, they had both the 450 and 62s on teathers.

I'm guessing it says something if REI carries these units.

Will venture back and ask if they have units I can actually handle without the ball and chain :)

What I really would like to do is connect with a possible geocaching reviewer near the 94566 zip code and "take a hike".

I volunteer as a safety patrol person in the East Bay Regional Parks(Northern CA)-it allows careful caching.

We are gifted with over 110k acres of trails, and growing.(sorry for the ad, Love this place.:)

BTW I'm impressed with the quality, respect and care in comments posted on this website that I've been exposed to.

There has been a lot written here about REI and their return policy. You really can't go wrong getting a GPS from REI because at any time ( years later ? ) you can return it and get another unit or your money back.

If I could ask a quick question here, without "hijacking" the original poster's thread .... What is the maximum size microSD card the 450 can use?

2/15/12: I've found, via an older thread, the answer to my question is 4G although others claim to be using 8G with success.

I've run a 16GB one in mine with no issues :)

There has been a lot written here about REI and their return policy. You really can't go wrong getting a GPS from REI because at any time ( years later ? ) you can return it and get another unit or your money back.

Or, for it's intended purpose, REI's return policy is in place so if you don't like a particular unit you can return it with no questions asked and get the "other" one you had on your list. But of course people abuse it and return shredded sneakers ten years later. BUT I digress and acknowledge the morality of returning items years later is not the issue of the thread.

My point? REI's non hassle return policy is good insurance for first time GPS buyers. Of course it help if you live out west where they actually have stores (I guess you could buy from their website).

Edited by yogazoo

I've run a 16GB one in mine with no issues :)

Thanks for that Eusty.