Garmin GPS 60 VS Magellan eXplorist GC

BerryMobile

I am looking to get a GPS soon for geocaching and am wondering which to get. I have my eye on both the Garmin GPS 60 and the Magellan eXplorist GC but was wondering about the pros/cons of each unit, including accuracy, ease of use, battery life etc. Price is not an issue between the two units, as they are the only two I can find between walmart, canadian tire, radio shack and the local hunting supply store. All 4 locations stock the same 2 units heh.

The GPSMAP60, in CSx version is perhaps one of the best ever. The drawback to it is that it is not paperless. To many, paperless is a big issue. There are work-arounds to make it more like paperless. It is discontinued, so future support may well be limited.

The GC, on the other hand is in current production and is made specifically for geocaching (hence, the GC in the name). There are more and more people using it and really like it -- not all though. It's biggest advantage is that the unit is completely paperless.

Both are good units, so you still sit with the same dilemma...

If price is of little concern to you, I would not stop with looking at just those units.

Some admire the Delorme PN60 (the PN40 is tough on batteries), others would not part with the newer Garmin units (Dakota, Oregon, 62 [the 60 upgrade]).

If you really mean a GPS 60 and not a Map 60CX/60SX definitely go with the Magellan for geocaching. Though I hesitate to recommend any Magellan because of their abysmal reputation for customer service, and there are far better units for geocaching than the Magellan GC, if the GPS 60 and Magellan are your only choices then the Magellan GC is the better of a mediocre pair of choices.

If you mean a Map 60CSX or Map60CX, it's a different story. Though discontinued, those excellent units are much loved by geocachers. Then only downside is that neither is a truly paperless unit. These days if you meet any longtime geocacher who is using a newer unit, don't be surprised if he's carrying his old 60CSX in his pack as a backup. If it was betwen a 60CSX and a Magellan GC I'd choose the former hands down even though it isn't fully paperless (it can be tweaked to include sone cache info using 3rd party software).

I suggest you shop online. You will find a much wider selection of better units than your two choices.

Edited by briansnat

The Magellan GC is a good basic unit; color screen, low cost, and paperless. The Map 60CSX or Map60CX; is a great standby, color screen, durable, takes caches and POIs BUT is not paperless (as others have said). Either would do, but look on line at the Garmin eTrex 20. This newer unit is also a good basic unit but can load other maps and IS paperless. It's personal preference, but if you stay with it the paperless is a big plus in my opinion.

Edited by SgtSue

To reiterate, the units are the Garmin GPS 60 (its yellow) and the Magellan eXplorist GC. For what you call "paperless" I have an android smartphone I can use for that, what with the internet access on it and all heh. I am kind leaning towards the eXplorist though. I like the idea of a color screen as opposed to a momochrome one.

To reiterate, the units are the Garmin GPS 60 (its yellow) and the Magellan eXplorist GC. For what you call "paperless" I have an android smartphone I can use for that, what with the internet access on it and all heh. I am kind leaning towards the eXplorist though. I like the idea of a color screen as opposed to a momochrome one.

The GPS60 (yellow) does not have a newer, more sensitive antennae. This being the case, you are better off with the eXplorist GC.

The GPS60 (yellow) does not have a newer, more sensitive antennae. This being the case, you are better off with the eXplorist GC.

I agree, if it's a GPS 60 don't even consider it unless you can get it really cheap (like under $50). I can't believe retailers are still selling the thing as it's been obsolete for about 6 years. Still there are better units than the GC for the money.

Still there are better units than the GC for the money.

I've been curious about this also, the explorist gc seems like a great first time choice, but maybe the new explorist 110 is a better choice for the money? I want something that is paperless, and there are quite a few used units on eBay, but not always sure which of the older ones will do paperless?

I agree, if it's a GPS 60 don't even consider it unless you can get it really cheap (like under $50). I can't believe retailers are still selling the thing as it's been obsolete for about 6 years. Still there are better units than the GC for the money.

BrianSnat is correct. This is a no brainer. The plain old yellow GPS60 (it's the base model for the 60 series) came out in 2004. Black and white display, and only loads LOC files!! The GPS 60 has NO MAPPING. If you consider a world wide grid of degree confluences with city names "mapping", but I'm sure most people don't. :lol: The Explorist GC is absolutely light years ahead of it.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Still there are better units than the GC for the money.

I've been curious about this also, the explorist gc seems like a great first time choice, but maybe the new explorist 110 is a better choice for the money? I want something that is paperless, and there are quite a few used units on eBay, but not always sure which of the older ones will do paperless?

The 110 is even cheaper than the GC ($130 vs. $150). It does paperless, but is not "100% dedicated to Geocaching adventures" as Magellan touts the GC to be. Both have annoying Joystick navigation though, as does the $179 Explorist 310. If you want a touch screen in the Explorist series, you have to jump up to the 510 at $300.