start a geocaching newbie sponsorship program

antaries

hi everyone! i got this idea from a former job i had.all new hires were given a sponsor (someone who worked there for more than 1 year) and your sponsor was like a teacher,someone you could ask questions to or give you work related guidance.so i thought why not start a geocaching newbie sponsorship program! seasoned cachers could volunteer to help new cachers from their home area and teach them the ropes! this way it will minimize on bad cache placements and unecessary SBA logs.and it would be a friendly way of welcoming new cachers to the sport!

That sounds like a neat idea. When you join as a member and type in your home co-ordinates, you could receive an email that says: "Welcome! Thanks for putting in your home coordinates - your neighbourhood mentor is "So-And-So". This is his/her profile page and email address. Feel free to contact your mentor directly with any questions about the sport."

I'd be happy to do that job - although I can't say I have enough experience yet to qualify.

We're newbies and think it's a great idea and one that I think our family need because apparently there are lots of unwritten not-to-dos that reading these forums has brought to our attention and we really don't want to do anything wrong.

Not only that even just understanding all the different types of caches and the technical terms alone sometimes has our head swimming.

We're still having fun though so it can't be all that bad.

We're newbies and think it's a great idea and one that I think our family need because apparently there are lots of unwritten not-to-dos that reading these forums has brought to our attention and we really don't want to do anything wrong.

Not only that even just understanding all the different types of caches and the technical terms alone sometimes has our head swimming.

We're still having fun though so it can't be all that bad.

Don't worry so much. The only 'real' not-to-do's are common sense. Don't be a jerk and run around stealing caches, or vandalizing them, or moving them. After that who cares?

To the OP:

I really like it. Don't know if the Frog would go for it but it sounds, on the surface, a neat and easy idea to implement. I'd love a mentor...especially a hot one! (j/k)

FWIW, one of the local parks districts offers geocaching classes. They meet at a trailhead parking lot. After a brief introduction to geocaching and GPS usage, class members are issued loaner GPSrs and matched up with experienced geocachers. These groups (one experienced geocacher and a few class members) then spend the rest of the morning geocaching. It seems to work well.