Feature idea: "Watch a user"?

gnbrotz

There are a few new cachers in my area who I have been in touch with and trying to "bring them up right" in the geocaching community. icon_wink.gif

Rather than trying to watch hundreds of caches anticipating their visits, I'd like to be able to "watch a user" and be notified of their logs in the system.

I think this would be a neat way to follow users and see if they stay active or fade away without going through the steps to see a user's hides & finds.

Comments?

7996_300.jpg

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

Ok, it seems the concensus is against this; but, without the intent of trying to change your minds, let me add some more info which may make the situation a little more clear:

The parties I have in mind have corresponded back in forth with me, sharing ideas, locations, etc. I have even met some of them and cached with them. My role is more offering helpful advice (when asked for) and sharing what I read here on the boards (as they either don't come here, or just haven't yet).

As far as the stalking, I would tell these people what I was doing. However, I can see where it could be a problem if you DIDN'T want someone watching you. Perhaps an approval from the party being watched would be required (similar to ICQ where you can keep yourself from being added to the contact list).

Let me state again, I have nothing but good intentions and would not do this without the knowledge of the other party.

Thanks for pointing out that this may not be a good idea to actually implement across the site.

7996_300.jpg

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

I happen to like this idea. Similar to watching caches I have been to, I would like to watch friends and family as they cache.

Since, as Markwell pointed out, you can already do this manually I do not see how automating it is going to be a "big brother" problem. Anyone with the intent of stalking someone is already doing it with what is currently available.

I would also like to suggest that the Found list for a particular user be expanded to include all logged entries (not founds and notes as well)

The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.

- Colette

Someone mentioned this in another thread... but the people that use Personal Travel Bugs - they can be easily tracked from cache to cache by watching the logs on their bug.

I'm not sure why anyone would worry that someone was watching where they were finding caches? Like someone said, our profiles show what we've hidden and found - so it's not like a big secret.

*shrug* To each his own. icon_smile.gif

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--