Garmin 60csx Custom POIs Question

OK, I'm clearly missing something and I'm hoping someone here can help. I've searched the forums but have not found an answer so here I am.....

I used MapSource to create my POIs.

I used the POI Loader which I just downloaded and installed.

Everything seems to have loaded to the GPSr fine except no icons show on the maps. I can only "see" the POIs by doing a Find --> Custom Points of Interest.

If I then hit MENU, I only get options for "Nearest Containing" and "CHange Reference". Nothing about selecting by symbols as I do when finding by waypoints or POIs from my maps.

Thanks!

Yup i think you have it about right.

You can add icons for the POI also and POILoader will put them in.

There is also the 'select database' function within find custom POI - this allows you to select a group of POI based on the filename/foldername - some limitations apply (at least my HCx does this).

The other approach i had thought of is to create a POI map, another map. It would be a transparent overlay over your existing maps. Fairly complex to do but there is stuff on the web about making a map. Then you could have a map just containing POI. I think this might give you the categories. But there are likely limitations depending on what tool you use to create the map.

OK, I'm clearly missing something and I'm hoping someone here can help. I've searched the forums but have not found an answer so here I am.....

Everything seems to have loaded to the GPSr fine except no icons show on the maps. I can only "see" the POIs by doing a Find --> Custom Points of Interest.

If I then hit MENU, I only get options for "Nearest Containing" and "CHange Reference". Nothing about selecting by symbols as I do when finding by waypoints or POIs from my maps.

Thanks!

Yup i think you have it about right.

You can add icons for the POI also and POILoader will put them in.

There is also the 'select database' function within find custom POI - this allows you to select a group of POI based on the filename/foldername - some limitations apply (at least my HCx does this).

The other approach i had thought of is to create a POI map, another map. It would be a transparent overlay over your existing maps. Fairly complex to do but there is stuff on the web about making a map. Then you could have a map just containing POI. I think this might give you the categories. But there are likely limitations depending on what tool you use to create the map.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I understand you correctly, the icons I select in MapSource don't go over with the POIs. If I want icons, I gotta find and/or make them and associate them in some way I have yet to learn?

Hello There,

Basically if you make a CSV file of your POI and a corresponding BMP icon to represent that POI (16*16 bit). Name both CSV and BMP with an idendical name (ie myfamily.csv - myfamily.bmp). Put these two files in a folder called myfamily then run POI Loader and point it to your myfamily folder. This will create a file on the GPS sd card called poi.gpi Each time you upload new POI a new poi.gpi file is created over the previous one.

If you want to keep the POI file permanently on the GPS then you can then rename the poi.gpi file on the sd card to myfamily. Next time you run POI Loader be sure to click the button "Install new custom POI onto your device" , the myfamily POI will still be there with.

This thread is a bit dated but there's a ton of mostly still relevant information.

Regards

Bernard

Thanks for all of the info.

I went through the referenced thread and tried changing color schemes, playing with zoom level settings, detail level settings, and the clutter settings as well as a few other options and nothing seemed to make any difference.

I guess I'll have to look into the custom icon aspect or live without the icons.

Thanks again.

It has been a long time ago, but I seem to remember the icons appear when you zoom in so as not to clutter the map when zoomed out.

I also seem to remember the zoom level is configurable or is affected by clutter mode.

From the map page, menu, setup map, Map-Setup Points, Map Points, new setting here

The auto setting will only show POI when zoomed way in. When I use POI for geocaches I'll set the distance to something between 0.5 mi and 2 mi.