Has anyone tried this?

FDWhitey

The Apisphere Geomate.jr Geocaching GPS

It claims to have pre-loaded geocaching locations:

The family-friendly Apisphere Geomate.jr comes preloaded with approximately 250,000 geocache locations covering all 50 U.S. states

Simply turn the unit on and it will navigate you to your current location's closest geocache; hit the "Next" button and Geomate.jr will direct you to the next closest cache

Displays compass heading, latitude and longitude

Visit log allows you to mark geocaches and review them later to keep track of which caches you've already found

If so - can you add new locations and gps coordinates?

I believe you can - but I don't have experience with this unit. I think you can purchase a cable for loading caches if it doesn't come with one. One thing to remember - some of the pre-loaded caches you may never get to. Others...by the time you get around to them, some of the info could have changed.

On the unit I have, what was pre-loaded got deleted and caches get loaded for each trip. Then after I'm done logging, they get deleted.

edit to add - it takes AAA batteries, and each time they are changed, the unit needs to be programmed again apparently. Battery life is reported as short in the 3 reviews.

Edited by popokiiti

My brother was given one for a gift. The problem he has found is 1st to add new waypoints you have to buy a cable (An extra $20 or so) Then the 2nd complaint he had was that more than one time he looked for caches loaded in the unit only to later find that they had become archived. This became a big frustration for him. He prefers an older unit that he can load what he wants and delete what he wants.

I've been in a group where the only GPSr with cache data and battery power was a Geomate.jr. The main thing we found annoying was the very limited cache data. In particular, we didn't have the cache description, the encrypted hint, or past logs.

I think it would work reasonably well as a secondary device for a group, where someone else in the group has a device with the complete cache data. I don't have any experience updating the cache data in a Geomate.jr though.

Is the Geomate Jr a fancy GPSr? No. Does it work? Yes. When my daughter and I started, we used only my iPhone 3G. It wasn't very accurate and I also wanted to give her something to hold/follow/use. I bought her the Geomate Jr. She has since quit caching, and I use it. I have never used a fancy Garmin, Magellin, etc... but from what I understand, they need a cord to connect with the computer and after you load the data, the cache can be archived. I would suggest you get past the "pre-loaded" statement. It is true that it comes preloaded, but with the cord, you can quickly update it to have all the new data. It is true that no description, attributes, or hints show, but if since you are already finding caches, I assume you have some device. (I know it's not good to assume, and finding caches is possible without any GPS.) If you are using a smart phone, like I do, you can supplement your Geomate with that. If you are looking for a secondary GPS for a kid, like I did, this is perfect. If on the other hand you are looking for your one and only GPSr, I don't recommend this.

Another draw back that I just thought of is, while it is possible to do multis, puzzles, and ECs, it is not convenient. Also, the Geomate doesn't not load caches with a difficulty or terrain higher than 4, so no 5/5s.

Hopefully that gives you more understanding from someone who actually owns one, and uses it on most of his caching trips.

I am a present owner of a geomate jr and its great. I have recently "upgraded" to a Garmin 60C but the geomate comes with me on road trips and anything else. I find it perfect. To answer all your questions you can put waypoints into it but I don't bother. When using it I use it when I'm in a location I don't know about, not when I want to rock climb :rolleyes:

Hope this helps and if you want any more info contact me

My brother was given one for a gift. The problem he has found is 1st to add new waypoints you have to buy a cable (An extra $20 or so) Then the 2nd complaint he had was that more than one time he looked for caches loaded in the unit only to later find that they had become archived. This became a big frustration for him. He prefers an older unit that he can load what he wants and delete what he wants.

There are a number of Gepmate Jr. threads on here. In one thread I posted a review which was very complimentary.

I have two ... because one is always out on loan to someone.

The beauty of it enters into the picture in three ways:

Accuracy: That critter is spot on.

Imptomptu Caching: Just grab and go, that sucker is always loaded.

In a pinch: Sometimes I have "run out of querry and wonder "is there a cache nearby" has saved a long distance trip while searching out DeLorme Pages more than once.

It is always nice to have something for the kiddies to carry - Dropsies do occur and much less angst if the kiddies drop a geomate as opposed to the mega costly pride of the fleet.

Like many folks I started at the bottom of the food chain and am now using units well up the chain. But "Lil Geo" has an honored place in the stable

Daaaaaaaang. The detractors just need to drop a $20.00 and update the unit from time to time. No big rip.

Edited by humboldt flier

FWIW:

I was a very early adopter of the Geomate Jr.

I did a lot of testing of the unit in real time situations.

I stand by my favorable review.

I am in no way affiliated with the company. I do, however, conduct beta testing for another company.

I own or control in excess of twenty GPSr units from very basic hand-helds to panel mounted aviation units.

"Lil Geo" has it's place.

Another draw back that I just thought of is, while it is possible to do multis, puzzles, and ECs, it is not convenient. Also, the Geomate doesn't not load caches with a difficulty or terrain higher than 4, so no 5/5s.

With the Update Kit you can load the extra caches.

There was talk about being able to load your PQ's too.

As a First unit

As a One for the kids to use

As a Just in case...

With the back up of a phone for extra info

As such, it's a decent little unit.