Double listings of letterbox hybrids

howarthe

Can I list my letterbox hybrid on geocaching.com and Altaquest.com? I've just gotten interested in letterboxing. My nine-year-old daughter enjoys collecting the stamps in a book a lot more than she likes signing logs in micros or even swapping SWAG. There are very few letterboxes or letterbox hybrid caches in my area, and I want to hide some. They seem to have very few rules over at AtlasQuest about letterboxing, but we seem to have lots of rules here at Geocaching.com, but I can't find many rules at all about letterbox hybrid caches, just that they have to have a stamp and coordinates. What do you think? Do you think I can list my letterbox hybrid cache here on geocaching.com AND over at AtlasQuest?

Yes, that is the intended original purpose of the Letterbox Hybrid cache type: to permit letterboxes to be cross-listed here on Geocaching.com. The site founders were concerned that geocachers might take the letterboxing stamp, thinking it was a trade item, and wanted to flag the fact that there was "something different" about this listing.

The sole distinguishing feature of a letterbox hybrid cache on Geocaching.com is the presence of a letterboxing stamp. Apart from that, you just comply with the guidelines applicable to the type of cache it would be if you didn't have a letterboxing stamp.

It would be fairly pointless to create a letterbox hybrid and not cross list it on a LB site. The entire point of a LB hybrid is to hide a container that is both a letterbox and a goeocache and if you don't cross list it, how are LBers going to know about it?

I guess technically, LBers could come to this site to look for hybrid listing, but I doubt many LBers would consider that giving the animosity many have towards geocaching.

Of course it's not a requirement to cross list it. The only requirement, from this sites standpoint at least, is that it contains a stamp.

What some people do is list the cache here at it's actual coordinates, then post it on a LB site with the LB clues. Others list it here using the posted coordinates as a starting point and provide LB like clues the rest of the way. Your choice.

So then it most common to cross list on Atlas as opposed to letterboxing .org?

It does seem that the atlas one is more active in my area at least but I had only heard of the other site before today I think. Comapring the two they don't seem to crosslist with each other around here anyway.

Example of a cross listed letterbox: Winter

When you click the "Related Web Page" link (near the top of the page) it takes you to the listing on Atlas Quest

or this one: Little Tract Letterbox

It has a blurb at the end of the description about the cross listing on Atlas Quest with a link to the listing.

Of course it's basically yours, with the ever changing username. :ph34r:

I personally have not ever come across one that was cross-listed on Letterboxing websites. Although as Briansnat says, I believe that was the original intent. Many I've seen, I think the CO is just trying to get another cache type hide in their profile. :o

Many I've seen, I think the CO is just trying to get another cache type hide in their profile. :o

That could be. Personally I have wanted to make one just because there are plenty of traditional caches around these parts and no hybrids. I think I am starting to get better logs on my Wherigo just because it is different more-so then because it is a great cache. So I am thinking something else different might have a similar result. It also might inspire more local folks to make them as well.

I also enjoyed the one hybrid I've found before. The use of a nice handmade stamp adds a special something to the experience I thought compared to simply signing the log.

I'm not chasing icons (though admittedly some folks do) because I will probably never put out a traditional, multi or event. :laughing:

So then it most common to cross list on Atlas as opposed to letterboxing .org?

It does seem that the atlas one is more active in my area at least but I had only heard of the other site before today I think. Comapring the two they don't seem to crosslist with each other around here anyway.

The LBNA acroynm for the letterboxing.org site, has been jokingly called 'LetterBox Not Available'. Too many of the boxes on the site have been abandoned. In my area, Atlas Quest attracts more active letterbox hiders with a commitment to the past time.

It would be fairly pointless to create a letterbox hybrid and not cross list it on a LB site. The entire point of a LB hybrid is to hide a container that is both a letterbox and a goeocache and if you don't cross list it, how are LBers going to know about it?

I guess technically, LBers could come to this site to look for hybrid listing, but I doubt many LBers would consider that giving the animosity many have towards geocaching.

Of course it's not a requirement to cross list it. The only requirement, from this sites standpoint at least, is that it contains a stamp.

What some people do is list the cache here at it's actual coordinates, then post it on a LB site with the LB clues. Others list it here using the posted coordinates as a starting point and provide LB like clues the rest of the way. Your choice.

according to our local reviewers, you cant do that anymore, unless you list the final coordinates. I tried to list a LBH with the starting coords as parking and then provide clues....however, unless its a puzzle or something like that, I was blocked from listing it with listed coords and then clues (unless I listed the final). Perhaps you were implying that, but was unsure.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=210c560c-dec8-4d68-94ca-76ce3cab00d5

If our reviewers are wrong on that front, would love to know, but I do not think they are, last I looked at the guidelines, or at least what they quoted me.

Edited by lamoracke

according to our local reviewers, you cant do that anymore, unless you list the final coordinates.

You should be able to list the final but have it hidden except to you and the reviewers. Try the add waypoint option for the listing and choose final location. The reviewers would need to know the final location so they can assure proximity and other potential issues.

As a geocacher and a letterboxer I would ask that the log book be made of unlined paper. Most I have stamped have been lined and that ruins the artwork of the signature stamps. I've also suggested to cache owners that they visit both www.letterboxing.org and www.atlasquest.com and list their cache there so all could enjoy.

according to our local reviewers, you cant do that anymore, unless you list the final coordinates.

You should be able to list the final but have it hidden except to you and the reviewers. Try the add waypoint option for the listing and choose final location. The reviewers would need to know the final location so they can assure proximity and other potential issues.

Oh, I know how to do that, but our Washington reviewers would not allow such letterboxes going forward. Too late for my one publish. It just would be nice to know this answer definitely, but appears different reviewers interpret the way its written differently. Hardly anyone is going to do a letterbox just with the instructions only if they have the final coordinates as an option.

Edited by lamoracke

Oh, I know how to do that, but our Washington reviewers would not allow such letterboxes going forward. Too late for my one publish. It just would be nice to know this answer definitely, but appears different reviewers interpret the way its written differently. Hardly anyone is going to do a letterbox just with the instructions only if they have the final coordinates as an option.

You could email contact@geocaching.com and see what they say. Just an idea.

Edited by TheCacheSeeker

according to our local reviewers, you cant do that anymore, unless you list the final coordinates. I tried to list a LBH with the starting coords as parking and then provide clues....however, unless its a puzzle or something like that, I was blocked from listing it with listed coords and then clues (unless I listed the final). Perhaps you were implying that, but was unsure.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=210c560c-dec8-4d68-94ca-76ce3cab00d5

If our reviewers are wrong on that front, would love to know, but I do not think they are, last I looked at the guidelines, or at least what they quoted me.

If you provide starting coordinates it is simply an offset cache. Add a stamp and you have a LB hybrid. Providing parking coordinates would not be considered sufficient GPS use for an offset cache and it isn't for a LB hybrid either. If your posted coordinates bring you to a specific object, say a statue, then you've satisfied the GPS use guideline.

Can I list my letterbox hybrid on geocaching.com and Altaquest.com? I've just gotten interested in letterboxing. My nine-year-old daughter enjoys collecting the stamps in a book a lot more than she likes signing logs in micros or even swapping SWAG. There are very few letterboxes or letterbox hybrid caches in my area, and I want to hide some. They seem to have very few rules over at AtlasQuest about letterboxing, but we seem to have lots of rules here at Geocaching.com, but I can't find many rules at all about letterbox hybrid caches, just that they have to have a stamp and coordinates. What do you think? Do you think I can list my letterbox hybrid cache here on geocaching.com AND over at AtlasQuest?

What the Moderator didn't mention is also read the guidelines for Letterboxes on GC. which are little different then on the Letterbox sites.

3. Letterbox Hybrid

This cache type pays homage to an older form of scavenger hunt. Letterbox hybrids must contain a signature stamp that stays with the box. A letterbox hybrid may have a mystery or puzzle element, but cannot be designed to be found by only using clues. To seek a letterbox hybrid, you will not need your own personal stamp and letterboxing logbook.

Edited by jellis

What the Moderator didn't mention is also read the guidelines for Letterboxes on GC. which are little different then on the Letterbox sites.

3. Letterbox Hybrid

This cache type pays homage to an older form of scavenger hunt. Letterbox hybrids must contain a signature stamp that stays with the box. A letterbox hybrid may have a mystery or puzzle element, but cannot be designed to be found by only using clues. To seek a letterbox hybrid, you will not need your own personal stamp and letterboxing logbook.

and with the language jellis kindly posted, that is why at least my state's reviewers will refuse a letterbox hybrid that only has a starting point and clues.

3. Letterbox Hybrid

and with the language jellis kindly posted, that is why at least my state's reviewers will refuse a letterbox hybrid that only has a starting point and clues.

Note that the guideline says "...only using clues". As long as GPS use is integrated somewhere in the hunt then it should be good, however simply posting coordinates for parking is not considered sufficient GPS use. You need to have a container, or specific object referenced by GPS coordinates somewhere in the hunt.

One way you can do this is to hide a container at the posted coordinates that provide the first clue, or perhaps even the entire clue.