Unbelievable!

I was just looking through the logs of a local cache as it has a high favourite listing and came across the last log. It's a new cacher logging as a first find, however they couldn't find the cache so to prove they had been there they carved into a brick on the building! Why on earth would anyone think that it's acceptable to do something like this?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=b5b16119-c2a2-4ca3-965a-0a09a5bd2415

I was just looking through the logs of a local cache as it has a high favourite listing and came across the last log. It's a new cacher logging as a first find, however they couldn't find the cache so to prove they had been there they carved into a brick on the building! Why on earth would anyone think that it's acceptable to do something like this?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=b5b16119-c2a2-4ca3-965a-0a09a5bd2415

Oh for heavens sake. they just don't get it do they?

How can you tell someone gently (without them getting the hump) that geocaching isn't about leaving graffiti on things - and apart from anything else they really need to sign the log before they can claim the find. It does worry me that they intend to look for more and do this again. Can the moderators do anything to discourage this

? Someone needs to message them that this isn't how to play the game.

Yes... Unfortunately, that's one of my caches. I read the log when it came in as an email but hadn't noticed that they'd posted a photo. I assumed that the note they left was a paper one.

The tower is pretty much derelict and they aren't the only ones, by a long way, to have carved graffiti into it's walls. Not that that's any excuse, of course :(

I assumed that the note they left was a paper one.

The tower is pretty much derelict and they aren't the only ones, by a long way, to have carved graffiti into it's walls. Not that that's any excuse, of course :(

I thought it was a paper one also, until I looked at the photo.

I agree that there is already a lot of graffiti and the tower is derelict so the damage won't really make a huge difference, it just makes me angry that they thought it was a normal thing to do!

Let's hope we don't see more "Lunchbox and Pete waz 'ere" carvings in trees and fences at cache sites.

I have fond memories of the cache, it was our third, done on my birthday when we first started out, it took forever to find the tower and when we did it was dusk. I'm frightened of the dark anyway but there were twigs tied up in symbols all over like the Blair Witch Project film and I was pooping myself trying to find the way out of the woods. Even worse, we got lost on the way back to the car so I ended up dragging my poor kids on a 9 mile walk through the lanes while my husband drove around them looking to rescue us. Not to be beaten we went back in daylight the next day to find it (after reading the instructions for our new GPS)

I think that's why the log made me angry, we had so much fun that day and it was an adventure for us, reading it felt like they had defaced the memories as well as the cache site. Silly and sentimental on reflection I suppose.

Edited by Cushie Butterfield

Pharisee perhaps you as CO would email them and inform them that what they did is not acceptable and that they have to find and sign the log to claim a find. Also delete their log on the listing as it is not a find. I dont think it matters if they get the hump. Geocaching does not need people with that approach.