One strange waterbottle....

BRF!

0110a7bb-01f8-4550-bd44-2bbc77846b48.jpg

So, I recieved an "Official Geocache" water bottle for Christmas. I wasn't sure whether to place it as a new cache, or use it as an actual water bottle. I read on the piece of paper it came with that you should never wash it in the dish washer. Well, my mother put it in the dish washer, and about ten minutes ago when we were emptying it out, she said "Hey, look! An official geocache!" I couldn't believe my eyes! Am I imagining things?! I turned around and she was holding the water bottle, except it was shorter, skinnier, and had a strange bump around the middle of it! She looked at me, confused.

"Is there something wrong with it?" she asked.

"Yeah, it wasn't supposed to go in the dishwasher!" we both burst out laughing. :laughing: :laughing: :lol: :lol:

I showed it to my dad, and all he could say was "What the hell?!" I couldn't stop myself from laughing at his face; it was so surprised! I am in utter shock by what has happened to it, but it's just so funny at the same time!

Anyone else had these kind of expirences with these bottles or similar kinds?

How well do these fair as geocaches?

TFRTT (thanks for responding to this) and HC! :grin:

So, I recieved an "Official Geocache" water bottle for Christmas. I wasn't sure whether to place it as a new cache, or use it as an actual water bottle. I read on the piece of paper it came with that you should never wash it in the dish washer. Well, my mother put it in the dish washer, and about ten minutes ago when we were emptying it out, she said "Hey, look! An official geocache!" I couldn't believe my eyes! Am I imagining things?! I turned around and she was holding the water bottle, except it was shorter, skinnier, and had a strange bump around the middle of it! She looked at me, confused.

"Yeah, it wasn't supposed to go in the dishwasher!" we both burst out laughing. :laughing: :laughing: :lol: :lol:

I showed it to my dad, and all he could say was "What the hell?!" I couldn't stop myself from laughing at his face; it was so surprised! I am in utter shock by what has happened to it, but it's just so funny at the same time!

Yeah, the electric heat dry cycle can be a bit much for many plastics. That's why they tell you top rack only.

Problem is, with the newer dishwashers, even the water gets hot enough to do that, so nowhere is safe.

It probably won't do to well as a waterbottle or a cache now; the mouth of the bottle is probably too deformed for the seal to work properly. Call it 'custom geo-art' and sell it to some rich person for a mint.

Yeah, the electric heat dry cycle can be a bit much for many plastics. That's why they tell you top rack only.

Problem is, with the newer dishwashers, even the water gets hot enough to do that, so nowhere is safe.

It probably won't do to well as a waterbottle or a cache now; the mouth of the bottle is probably too deformed for the seal to work properly. Call it 'custom geo-art' and sell it to some rich person for a mint.

Good idea to use as geoart. thankfully, the lid and opening still work perfectly fine! :)

I read on the piece of paper it came with that you should never wash it in the dish washer.

I guess they weren't kidding! :o

*Note to self:

start paying attention to those warning labels! *

The way I read it, the mother was the one who put the container in the dishwasher, and she had not read the warning label. :huh:

I've have 2 nalgene bottles messed up by the dishwasher, but not nearly that bad! Holy cow! One had the little piece of plastic that holds the cap to the bottle melted through, rendering useless for using with my kayak (I put a carabiner through the thingy and clip it to a bungee cord that is attached to the kayak). The other one just had part of the cap melted through, but at least it was really minor (*really* minor) :o

I've have 2 nalgene bottles messed up by the dishwasher, but not nearly that bad! Holy cow! One had the little piece of plastic that holds the cap to the bottle melted through, rendering useless for using with my kayak (I put a carabiner through the thingy and clip it to a bungee cord that is attached to the kayak). The other one just had part of the cap melted through, but at least it was really minor (*really* minor) :o

we've alawys had tons of Nalgene bottles over the years, and none of them have ever been injured from the dishwasher! maybe we're just lucky :blink:

we've alawys had tons of Nalgene bottles over the years, and none of them have ever been injured from the dishwasher! maybe we're just lucky :blink:

I have like... 5 or 6, counting the 2 that didn't quite make it unscathed. They seem pretty tough, but I think it something gets bumped up against something hot then a bit of melting occurs. Or so I figure anyways :)