Trackables

PandaLovingPirates

Hi all. New to this so scuse the daft question please. We have found a trackable coin and will put it into a cache in the next few days. My question is how do we log that we have put it somewhere? We have logged it as found in the cache we got it from. Do we say at the log of the cache that we put it in that we have left it there??

Thanks for any advice you can offer!! Love this sport!!!

Edited by molly and nick

Hi all. New to this so scuse the daft question please. We have found a trackable coin and will put it into a cache in the next few days. My question is how do we log that we have put it somewhere? We have logged it as found in the cache we got it from. Do we say at the log of the cache that we put it in that we have left it there??

By retrieving the trackable this puts it in your inventory. When you log a cache where you placed it at the bottom of the page above the submit button you will see it listed there,. To the right there will be a drop down menu. Visted Dropped etc. You click on the dropped choice then submit you log for that cache. This places it in that cache. My advice tho is to write down the trackable number and keep it in case you by accident drop in in the wrong cache and have to change you entry later. We have all done this and its a real pain to get it corrected without the tracking number.

Thanks for asking ahead of time instead of not logging it correctly,. Hope this helps.

You might want to go to a cache page and hit log and then look at the bottom of the page to see what I am saying so you know ahead of time. Then you can just back out of the log page and there won't be a log for that cache page. Just to practice I guess you might say, Good luck

Hi, welcome :)

We have a separate sections of these forums just for talking about Travel Bugs and Geocoins.

You can find details about how to correctly retrieve, then, later, drop off your geocoin by reading the information here: How to log a geocoin.

It's a good idea to make a note of the tracking number on any trackable (that's a geocoin or a travel bug) that you retrieve from a cache as soon as possible. The tracking number is vital for doing your logging correctly. Write it down or take a quick photo of it. Then, if you have any problems, or you make a mistake in some way, the error can be corrected as long as you have the tracking number.

Have a read of that link then ask some more if there's anything that's not clear to you. :)

MrsB

By retrieving the trackable this puts it in your inventory. When you log a cache where you placed it at the bottom of the page above the submit button you will see it listed there,. To the right there will be a drop down menu. Visted Dropped etc. You click on the dropped choice then submit you log for that cache. This places it in that cache. My advice tho is to write down the trackable number and keep it in case you by accident drop in in the wrong cache and have to change you entry later. We have all done this and its a real pain to get it corrected without the tracking number.

Thanks for asking ahead of time instead of not logging it correctly,. Hope this helps.

You might want to go to a cache page and hit log and then look at the bottom of the page to see what I am saying so you know ahead of time. Then you can just back out of the log page and there won't be a log for that cache page. Just to practice I guess you might say, Good luck

But... it wasn't logged correctly. You picked it up while logging it only as a "discovery". You need to log it "retrieved".

It will not be listed in your inventory for you to drop off (properly) until you log it as such.

Am guessing that you picked it up from OBS10 - The Bridge (GC1NBCF), under a different username perhaps.

Follow the advice provided by MrsB.

I have a different question... what is the difference between someone placed it in (a cache) and someone took it to (a cache)???

I started my trackable in my own cache, so it said that Pirate Kel placed it in (my cache)

Someone picked it up and took it to a different cache (the same type of statement was posted)

Now FIVE different times today a different cacher "took it to..." different caches.

Does that maybe mean that the caches that they found were not ones that could hold the travel bug? Just looking for clarification. Thank you

I have a different question... what is the difference between someone placed it in (a cache) and someone took it to (a cache)???

I started my trackable in my own cache, so it said that Pirate Kel placed it in (my cache)

Someone picked it up and took it to a different cache (the same type of statement was posted)

Now FIVE different times today a different cacher "took it to..." different caches.

Does that maybe mean that the caches that they found were not ones that could hold the travel bug? Just looking for clarification. Thank you

When you're logging a cache, one of the options down at the bottom of the page (next to the trackables currently in your inventory) is "visited" (the other option is "dropped off"). The geocacher who "took it to..." the caches today was selecting the "visited" option. For one reason or another, the cacher didn't leave your TB in any of those caches.

Some people will take your trackable with them for a few days/weeks, visiting tons of caches (and I mean tons - your TB page can have several pages worth of "visits" when they're done). I think it's their way of sharing their caching experiences with you via your TB (in other words, I think they're doing it to be nice). So maybe your TB wouldn't fit in the caches they visited today, or maybe there was some other reason why they didn't leave the TB there (too exposed, looked like lots of muggles around, wet inside the cache, etc.), or maybe they just want your TB to hitch a ride with them for a while and rack up some "visits" just for fun.

When you're logging a cache, one of the options down at the bottom of the page (next to the trackables currently in your inventory) is "visited" (the other option is "dropped off"). The geocacher who "took it to..." the caches today was selecting the "visited" option. For one reason or another, the cacher didn't leave your TB in any of those caches.

Some people will take your trackable with them for a few days/weeks, visiting tons of caches (and I mean tons - your TB page can have several pages worth of "visits" when they're done). I think it's their way of sharing their caching experiences with you via your TB (in other words, I think they're doing it to be nice). So maybe your TB wouldn't fit in the caches they visited today, or maybe there was some other reason why they didn't leave the TB there (too exposed, looked like lots of muggles around, wet inside the cache, etc.), or maybe they just want your TB to hitch a ride with them for a while and rack up some "visits" just for fun.

thanks for the info.... for some reason I guess I just never noticed the 'visiting' option so to speak, until it was my own!