Cool..... i have 100s of archived caches logged !

EXMAN

What am I missing here? You have found and logged caches from Newfoundland to Arizona. Of the last 10 pages of regular caches (200), there are 2 that are archived and 1 that is deactivated.

If you do "special" caches on the 100's, then your find count would go down every time one of the caches you found got archived.

I logged my 1000th cache at the Geocaching Block Party in Seattle. I'm planning on ending the year with 1100 or maybe 1102.

You found them and logged them even though some of them may be archived now.

Am I missing something? This isn't on the official statistics page so you must have seen this on someone's third party statistics. Doesn't make much sense to complain about what a third party statistic program calculates. Either don't use that statistics program or find a way to turn off or edit out that number if it is something you don't care about.

For the statistics programs, this is an easy number to compute. The state of the cache is available in the My Finds query so it's easy to count the nubmer of find that have been archived. People tend to compute a log of statistics that are meaningless just because they are easy to compute. The trick is figuring out what statistics are meaningful.

That said, I find this to be a very interesting statistic. After caching many years you see this number go up. You probably will also see the percentage of finds that are now archived go up. It gives you a feeling of just how long caches typically last before being archived. Some people may in fact want to compare this number with other cachers that have been caching for a similar period of time. If your percentage is lower it means either that 1) your find rate has been increasing faster so you have a higher percentage of caches found recently (and thus a lower archival rate), or 2) you are finding caches that aren't getting archived as often (which some might use to measure cache quality - caches that are remote and hard to get to or ones that have owners that do maintenance instead of archiving the caches).

Am I missing something? This isn't on the official statistics page so you must have seen this on someone's third party statistics. Doesn't make much sense to complain about what a third party statistic program calculates. Either don't use that statistics program or find a way to turn off or edit out that number if it is something you don't care about.

For the statistics programs, this is an easy number to compute. The state of the cache is available in the My Finds query so it's easy to count the nubmer of find that have been archived. People tend to compute a log of statistics that are meaningless just because they are easy to compute. The trick is figuring out what statistics are meaningful.

That said, I find this to be a very interesting statistic. After caching many years you see this number go up. You probably will also see the percentage of finds that are now archived go up. It gives you a feeling of just how long caches typically last before being archived. Some people may in fact want to compare this number with other cachers that have been caching for a similar period of time. If your percentage is lower it means either that 1) your find rate has been increasing faster so you have a higher percentage of caches found recently (and thus a lower archival rate), or 2) you are finding caches that aren't getting archived as often (which some might use to measure cache quality - caches that are remote and hard to get to or ones that have owners that do maintenance instead of archiving the caches).

your last paragraph is what i was looking for.......thanks

why would i want to know [and to brag to others] how many of the caches i have logged are now archieved ?

So all the statistics are for is to "brag to others?"

I think all EXMAN's quote implies is that, for him: have stats => will brag. We cannot infer from the quote that that is all he will do with the statistics. He may wish also to etch a graphical representation of his stats on the asylum wall, or recite them in haiku to the inmates. Sharpen up those reasoning skills, fizzymagic!

This isn't on the official statistics page so you must have seen this on someone's third party statistics.

There are official statistics? I thought there were just different software providers of statistics.

Groundspeak provide statistics on your profile...

As they are produced , and provided by Groundspeak, are they not 'official'?

(That's so long as you choose to have them viewable to other cachers)

Edited by Bear and Ragged