inputting coordinates

pettus5

Please don't forget that caching with an iPhone is great (I love mine!) but if you ever plan on hiding caches, you may want to purchase a handheld GPS, as many of the caches placed by people using iPhones list coordinates that are off by as much as 30 feet. Still, for logging caches from the field, and searching maps for your next find, the iPhone can't be beat.

Here's something I posted on the log for a multi-part cache.

"

Entering the coordinates on an iPhone are a little tricky. One could easily end up with a location across the street or in Nepal.

The coordinates from the ammo can are in the decimal minutes format:

xx xx.xxx

yy yy.yyy

where x and y are numbers.

One way is to just type "loc: Nxx xx.xx,Wyy.yyy" into the Maps (iPhone app) search field, substituting the numbers from the ammo can for the x's and y's. Be sure to use the N and W to pick the right hemisphere. If the "loc:" is omitted, Google Maps will find the nearest street address and not the desired coordinates.

One can also use "Map It" in the Geocaching.com application, then enter the coordinates in the same format. The "loc:" can be omitted when using this map, however the search results will show both the desired coordinates (green marker) and the nearest street address (red A marker) across the street.

"

It's the little flag on the upper right hand side of the navigation screen.

If you tsp it it will take you to where you can imput numbers.

Then once you're done with the numbers, the app will return you to the navigation screen (map). Then you tap the flag to set it as your target..

Hmmm...This seems to be a lot easier than any of the other suggestions. It's pretty obvious; I just never selected the flag before. Thanks! B)

I'm also having problems with this. I have tapped on the little flag, and entered the new coords using the dials. When I hit done and "set to geocache location" it just goes back to the screen before with the old coords. It won't save the coords for the waypoint. Any ideas?

"Set to geocache location" sets the waypoint coordinates to the original posted coordinates.

If you want to navigate to a different set of coordinates, all you have to do is tap the flag, change the coordinates, and tap Done at the top. Tapping "Set to geocache location" is basically just cancelling the change.

ok, tried it sitting here at the table and it seems to work, will try it out in the field when the deep freeze lifts. Thanks!

How about premium caches show up on my computer, but not on my iPhone? If I put the GC code in it will show up after a search, but just asking for caches near my location, premiums don't show up.

I'm also having problems with this. I have tapped on the little flag, and entered the new coords using the dials. When I hit done and "set to geocache location" it just goes back to the screen before with the old coords. It won't save the coords for the waypoint. Any ideas?

"Set to geocache location" sets the waypoint coordinates to the original posted coordinates.

If you want to navigate to a different set of coordinates, all you have to do is tap the flag, change the coordinates, and tap Done at the top. Tapping "Set to geocache location" is basically just cancelling the change.