FAQ for Geocoins

Team Firenze

Hi all, I am fairly new to caching and of course geocoins. Is there any kind of FAQ about this. I have quite a few questions because I am not totally understanding the concept. I will list a few out but feel free to point me in the direction of a FAQ if need me. FYI, I am not a total noob. I understand what Geocoins are and how they are trackable and everything.

So, I guess my biggest question is how do you collect them. I have found 170 caches and only found 1 non trackable geocoin, one trackable geocoin, and a pathtag.

Do you all just buy the geocoins and then trade them after you have them. Obviously, I understand you should not pull geocoins out of the wild and keep them for your self. So I can't figure out how to get them besides simply buying them or trading them.

I like the idea of collecting these but I am trying to understand what the process is.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Team Firenze

Do you all just buy the geocoins and then trade them after you have them.

Yes, buying and trading are the ways to obtain coins for your own personal possession. Minting your own is also a possibility.

Obviously, I understand you should pull geocoins out of the wild and keep them for your self.

You should never keep coins that don't belong to you. I'm hoping that sentence is missing the word "not"..."you should not pull geocoins out of the wild and keep them for your self".

Coins that have been purchased by other people and set out to travel are rarely, if ever, meant to be kept by finders. They are meant to be moved to other caches. Read the individual coin's page to see if it has a mission stated by the owner.

So I can't figure out how to get them besides simply buying them or trading them.

I like the idea of collecting these but I am trying to understand what the process is.

Thanks for your help.

That's it. You buy them or trade them if you want a collection to keep for yourself.

I think the Help Center section about trackables is pretty helpful:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=10

1.2. Trackable Geocoins:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=147

You buy, you trade, you participate in missions (another way of trading coins), and you go for any newly placed caches that say they have a geocoin as the FTF prize. Maybe one out of 1 million caches will have a geocoin that is unactivated and there for the next finder to keep.

Collecting the coins is a great hobby but can be an expensive one as well.

Almost forgot. Check out the various companies that mint geocoins. Some have clubs you can join for a fee and you get a new coin every month or however they have it set up.

Edited by mpilchfamily

Okay, that was exactly the information I was looking for. I think I have a pretty firm grasp now.

The only question I have is about the trading aspect. I mean if I go out and buy a bunch of coins that I like why would I want to trade them. I mean I can understand if I had extras or I had received coins that I am not all that fond of.

So, what is the idea behind the trading?

some observations on the trading of geocoins

there are at least two main categories of geocoins - commercial and personal

most commercial geocoins are made by a vendor, sold, and then done with

so, if there is a design that you have taken a shine to, and it was made a while ago (which may mean hours, days, weeks, months or a year, depending on the vendor), you will probably not be able to buy one from the original maker/vendor - you may find one for sale from a secondary seller (on this forum or elsewhere) and/or at an auction site, or you may find one offered for trade (typically here, but not exclusively so)

many people have personal coins made, and then trade them

in fact, some people only collect personal geocoins that they have traded for

it is a relatively inexpensive way to build a collection

and you get to hear the story behind a lot of special coins

(and share the story behind yours, too)

so, you could buy some extras of a new commercial geocoin that you like

and then trade it later for another new geocoin that you may have missed the chance to buy, and/or for an older geocoin that someone else doubled-up on

or, you could make a batch of personal geocoins of your own design, and trade them for other personal geocoins that you want for your collection

and there is no reason that you could not cross the two types

meaning, buy extra commercial coins, and trade them for personals

or make a batch of personals, and trade them for commercials that other folks kave

enjoy !

Okay, I get the trading idea. So last question. This seems kind of expensive. I have no problem spending money but I just want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

It seems like most coins I have seen are 10-20 dollars so it would take at least a few hundred bucks to get even a small collection going where you might want to start trading.

Does that sound right?

Okay, I get the trading idea. So last question. This seems kind of expensive. I have no problem spending money but I just want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

It seems like most coins I have seen are 10-20 dollars so it would take at least a few hundred bucks to get even a small collection going where you might want to start trading.

Does that sound right?

i'd say i've spent at least that much!

another suggestion for you might be to pick a theme you can start your collection with...my favorites are dog coins. you might also want to watch this forum for cointests (i'm running one right now...perform a random act of kindness and then post you've completed the mission (performed a raok.) entries are allowed 1X/day through new years eve...i will pick a random winner of an unactivated geocoin.

keep an eye on the geocoin forum...they pop up randomly throughout the year!

ILYK

Does that sound right?

i'd say i've spent at least that much!

another suggestion for you might be to pick a theme you can start your collection with...my favorites are dog coins. ...

I could buy a brand new car with the $$ I've sunk into this craze but then I'd also have to wash it, give it gas and the occasional trip to see a mechanic. Over 5 years that's a lot of gas and a lot of car washes. My coin collection on the other hand requires minimal maintenance (no bird droppings, parking lot door dings or flat tires in the middle of nowhere) except for the upkeep of the inventory database.

Definitely start with the coins you can't live without. No point getting into this if it's just a means to an end..... there is no end (and you'd best have enough means)!! :laughing: