Yahoo Map Link

maddy

Yahoo doesn't allow you to link to them via latitude/longitude now. You'll need to complain to them if you want the service back.

Sadly, most free mapping programs on the 'net seem to be going the way of the dodo.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Sadly, most free mapping programs on the 'net seem to be going the way of the dodo.

Lucky that we can get GPX Pocket Queries and have gpsbabel convert them to our mapping software of choice. I rarely go to the free mapping programs unless it's just one cache I'm looking at.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I've long used the mapquest maps that are linked to by the pages on this site for individual maps for the casual "where is this" stuff. But when I rebuild the pages from my PQ's for my personal use, I include a generated link to the Rand McNally maps. They are beautiful maps. While I'm sure that the load that even I can personally generate on their servers doesn't cause a blip, you might want to ask, Jeremy, if you can include a linky link to their maps.

Jeremy or Elias, I can even provide you with the URL voodoo that I used. Contact me privately for suggestions how to drop it into the master site.

Of course, when it's time to prepare for a trip and actually lay a zillion potential caches out and _plan_ that trip, I do use GPSBabel to plonk the waypoints on a local map as none of the online solutions are satisfactory for that.

Hmm. The Rand McNally maps appear to be using nearly the exact same database from Navigation Technologies as the MapQuest maps use. The same errors appear in both. But the RM maps do look prettier.

The RM maps do a little better spline fitting than MapQuest does, they use a different algorithm for placing the street name (tends more toward the center of the length of the street), use a larger font for the street name (thats a minus in my book), among other things I noticed.

-Rick

quote:
javascript:Q=document.selection.createRange().text;if(Q){myArr=Q.split(' ');latd=parseFloat(myArr[1])+parseFloat(myArr[2])/60;lond=parseFloat(myArr[4])+parseFloat(myArr[5])/60;window.open ('http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/directions/dirGetMap.jsp?A='+latd+',-'+lond+'&z=large&l=9&T='+latd+'&N=-'+lond+'&h=false&c=USA&sLatLongAddr=true&val=CNT');gohistory(-1);}

I use this URL as a bookmark in IE. I don't know what other browsers it would work in, but most broswers can do similar stuff. To use, I just hilight the coords I want to map, and select the bookmark. It's like magic. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Everytime the topic of free map services comes up, the Rand McNally maps get mentioned. Yet, they have never gotten added. Personally, I think they are the best of the lot. Is there a reason Rand McNally has been largely ignored on here?

--RuffRidr

"The first condition of progress is the removal of censorship."

--George Bernard Shaw

quote:
Is there a reason Rand McNally has been largely ignored on here?

Well one reason is they are almost useless outside of the US. I tried a location in Canada and got the message:

quote:
We can't map outside of the U.S. at this time.

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass