GPSr Jamming notification

flipflopnick

OfCOM have warned of military exercises which involve jamming of GPSr signals at Spadeadam in March 2012

NOTIFICATION OF GPS JAMMING EXERCISES

RAF SPADEADAM, CUMBRIA, MARCH 2012

Dates: Between the 5th of March to the 9th of March 2012 inclusive.

Times: 0800 -1800 GMT.

Location of MULTIPLE jammers: based within 5km of N55° 04.000' W002° 34.000'.

Frequency: A 24 MHz band centred around 1575.42MHz (GPS L1).

Total Power: Up to 10 Watts EIRP.

It is stressed that, as in previous exercises, Safety of Life operations will at all times take precedence over exercise activities.

Ofcom stakeholders should contact InfoGPS.Notices@ofcom.org.uk"]InfoGPS.Notices@ofcom.org.uk[/email]

InfoGPS.Notices@ofcom.org.uk"]

[/email]

GCHD56, GC1Q1K3 and GCYWWW are nearest. How far does this jamming affect have influence?

I suppose that is the purpose of the exercise and top secret.

"Ofcom said an area within 5km (3 miles) of the military base could be affected. Walkers will need to resort to traditional map-and-compass navigation while the jamming, which is timed to occur between 9am and 4pm, is taking place.

The jamming is likely to affect any GPS units up to 5km from Berry Hill in the Spadeadam Forest. The Hadrian’s Wall national trail lies 2km further south and there are few public rights of way in the jamming area, though there are tracts of Countryside and Rights of Way Act open access land within the stated radius, including Side Fell to the West and White Side and Deer Hill in the Kielder Forest Park to the East."

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/10/11/gps-jamming-will-affect-pennine-forests

Purely out of interest can someone tell me what would happen to my GPS if I was within the jamming area? Will it just be unable to get a satellite lock and so not display anything, or will it recieve spurious signals and so potentially think it's somwhere miles away?

I don't know but I would guess that if the signal is being jammed you would get the usual "unable to obtain satellite lock" or similar message. If the signal is being spoofed (unlikely in this instance I would think) then the GPS would display an erroneous position.

Edit - 'would' added above

Edited by The Patrician

I just spoke to a friend of mine who is in the military (and also a cacher) and he informed me that it does kill the signal completly (with the result of not seeing any satellites)......

He breifly explained (if your interested in geeky stuff) that the freq they transmit is in the same ranges as the satellites transmit in but at a higher power than the singals you would receive therby not allowing your GPSr to receive the true singal's.

NOTIFICATION OF GPS JAMMING EXERCISES SALISBURY PLAIN, WILTSHIRE, 7TH MAY 2012

Dates: Between the 7th of May and the 11th of May 2012 (Inclusive).

Times: : 0700 - 2000 GMT.

Location of MULTIPLE jammers: Land based within 5km of N51° 12’, W001° 58.5’.

Frequency: A 24 MHz band centred around 1575.42MHz (GPS L1)

It is stressed that, as in previous exercises, Safety of Life operations will at all times take precedence over exercise activities.

Sorry I don't. I subscribe to get the notifications of GPS Jamming exercises which I put on the forum (if noone else has got there first). These notifications will only show up exercises that involve GPS Jamming so if the Joint Warrior Exercise doesn't involve Jamming I wont get notified.

Edited by Just Roger

I don't suppose you have the details of the Joint Warrior Exercise of the West Coast of Scotland in April do you?

This might help you, Haggis Hunter - I posted this to geocaching.com's facebook wall a day or so back, it doesn't list what frequencies etc will be blocked, but it could be a start for you. BBC News - GPS Jamming expected in war games.

Thank you, the dates were what I needed which are in that link. As I don't know what frequency a standard GPS uses I wouldn't know if it affected me or not until I had no signal.

Just Roger: It would appear that GPS jamming is going to be a large part of the exercise. I suspect you haven't had a notification as it's in Scotland and it isn't significant if it's North of the Border, not unless it's resources coming out of course. :P

P.S. The latter part of my post is very much tongue in cheek, corrections of the statement are really not required. B)

NOTIFICATION OF GPS JAMMING EXERCISES RAF SPADEADAM, CUMBRIA, SEPTEMBER 2012

Dates: Between the 10th of Sept to the 14th of Sept 2012 inclusive.

Times: 0700 -2000 GMT.

Location of MULTIPLE jammers: Land based within 5km of N55° 04.000' W002° 34.000'.

Ofcom stakeholders should contact InfoGPS.Notices@ofcom.org.uk"] InfoGPS.Notices@ofcom.org.uk[/email]

NOTIFICATION OF GPS JAMMING EXERCISES SALISBURY PLAIN, WILTSHIRE, July 2012 Dates: Between the 2nd of July and the 11th of July 2012 (Weekdays only).

Times: 0700 - 2000 GMT.

Location of MULTIPLE jammers: Land based within 5km of N51° 12', W001° 58.5'

Ofcom stakeholders should contact InfoGPS.Notices@ofcom.org.uk"] InfoGPS.Notices@ofcom.org.uk[/email]

The nearest caches to below coords are http://www.geocachin...&submit8=Search

over 7 km away. Wonder whether searching will be affected. Sat nav will probably be affected. I wonder whether cars will be allowed along the road.

NOTIFICATION OF A GPS JAMMING EXERCISE SENNYBRIDGE TRAINING AREA, WALES, DURING THE PERIOD 24 SEPTEMBER – 5 OCTOBER 2012

Details of Low Power Jamming.

Dates: Between 24-28 September and 1-5 October 2012 inclusive.

Times: 0900 -1700 BST.

Location of MULTIPLE jammers: Land based within 5km of N52° 00.881' W003° 38.518' (SN873365 – Dixie's Corner).

Frequencies: 24 MHz bands centred around 1176.45 MHz (GPS L5), 1227.60MHz (GPS L2) and 1575.42MHz (GPS L1).

Total Power: Up to 10 Watts EIRP. Whenever possible the transmissions will be at lower powers.

Details of Higher Power Jamming.

Dates: Maximum of two week-days each week between24-28 September and 1-5 October 2012. Exact days to be notified inJamming Warning Message circulated at least 7 days in advance of thefirst jamming.

Times: Between 1000-1200, and 1400-1600 BST.

Location of MULTIPLE jammers: Land based within 5km of N52° 00.881' W003° 38.518' (SN873365 – Dixie's Corner).

Frequencies: 24 MHz bands centred around 1176.45 MHz (L5), 1227.60MHz (L2) and 1575.42MHz (L1).

Total Power: Up to 100 Watts EIRP.

The jamming will not affect GPS users up to aheight of 25 metres AMSL around the UK coastline. Whenever possible thetransmissions will be at lower powers. It is stressed that, as inprevious exercises, Safety of Life operations will at all times takeprecedence over exercise activities.

Ofcom stakeholders should contact InfoGPS.Notices@ofcom.org.uk