Possible Newbie Frustration?

jgruberman

I've been "casual caching" for almost a year, but usually end up going to ones that are pretty cut and dry like hidden at a specific landmark or a specific location, etc.

Problem is when I get into a cache hidden is cover, it seems to be very difficult and I can RARELY find them and it's quite dejecting to be perfectly honest. I have several geocaching apps on my phone(Yes, my phone is my GPS), and they always seem to walk me in circles. One says 40ft north, and another says 60ft west. Then i go back to the first one and it says 80ft west again. It is really frustrating and one night my fiance and I were walking through the woods(we like to do them at night for excitement, but I've tried during the day), and our GPS led us what felt like 1/4 mile past the cache, it was hidden along the path we were walking. So we started to walk back and I had given up and I got turned around where I was walking and happened to stumble upon it on accident, and the GPS coords weren't even close to where I was. This has happened multiple times where either the GPS was off, or I just don't know where to look...

Is this a fault of the GPS device? The app? My lack of caching tactics? Both? Neither? All? There was a point where I had given up because I could never find anything, but my fiance told me to keep trying so I tried one on my lunch hour today that I kept getting DNF on and drew another blank.

Suggestions? Advice?

Is this a fault of the GPS device? The app? My lack of caching tactics? Both? Neither? All?

Suggestions? Advice?

Quite possibly a combination of ALL OF THE ABOVE.

But... 40 to 80 ft. out is just too far. 20 (on a not-so-good-day), could be acceptable.

You don't say what your phone is (iPhone, 3G, 4G, etc.)! Some phones are less favorable to use as a GPSr than others. Likewise, some apps may be better or worse (again, you didn't say which).

Typically, one should put the device away when Ground Zero is reached (that 'magical' 20-ft circle), and start looking -- for the cache, not at the device! If something in your combination of phone/app cannot put you closer, you have your work cut out for you.

Too, don't look for the cache itself, more rather, look for it's hiding spot. Learning to recognize a potential hiding spot produces many more finds than looking for the cache.

A quick look at your stats shows that you are finding caches though and of a higher difficulty too. It could be that you are simply going after caches that are harder than the norm. I don't use a phone so I can't really speak to that but my opinion would be that a hand held GPSr might be a little more accurate in the wooded areas if only because I think those have a more dedicated receiver than phones do, but I can't say for certain. Try sticking with searching for caches in the difficulty 1.5-2.0 area. As for that one you keep DNFing, it's common enough to come across one that will just keep eluding you, Lord knows we have (it might even be gone) Don't worry, it looks like you're doing fine. Just remember to have fun.

A quick look at your stats shows that you are finding caches though and of a higher difficulty too. It could be that you are simply going after caches that are harder than the norm. I don't use a phone so I can't really speak to that but my opinion would be that a hand held GPSr might be a little more accurate in the wooded areas if only because I think those have a more dedicated receiver than phones do, but I can't say for certain. Try sticking with searching for caches in the difficulty 1.5-2.0 area. As for that one you keep DNFing, it's common enough to come across one that will just keep eluding you, Lord knows we have (it might even be gone) Don't worry, it looks like you're doing fine. Just remember to have fun.

I find it is a good idea to read carefully the cache description, the hint and previously kogs. Often the logs will say if the coordinates are good and if not they might say something like the cache 40 feet to the north of the published coordinates"

which means you will be searching in the right area.

If you are looking for an urban cache it is often very helpful to download the coordinates into google earth and using the hint see if you can spot the hiding place. You still have to go and sign the log but that can save time particularly if the cache is in an area you do not know.

There are a good number of DNF's that I have that I honestly just forgot to log. I go for the harder ones because ironically enough, they present a challenge versus "go to the park, reach under the bench, sign the log". I don't mind those either, but I like ones where I have to go digging through places, exploring... I'm in the process of creating my own that requires rock climbing equipment to rappel down a mountainside to get, so you can get the idea of the types of terrain I like lol. Problem is that when it comes to brush and trees, bushes, etc... it's a bit tougher and I can say that more often than not when it comes to anywhere around heavy cover, I haven't been able to find them. In fact, there are a handful of repeated DNFs that I have, that I'll occasionally go back to and read the logs to see if anyone else's log will provide me with a new hint.

I find it is a good idea to read carefully the cache description, the hint and previously kogs. Often the logs will say if the coordinates are good and if not they might say something like the cache 40 feet to the north of the published coordinates" which means you will be searching in the right area.

If you are looking for an urban cache it is often very helpful to download the coordinates into google earth and using the hint see if you can spot the hiding place. You still have to go and sign the log but that can save time particularly if the cache is in an area you do not know.

My phone will give me the photos, cache description, recent logs, hints, everything that the computer would when I'm right there at the site. Problem is that more often than not, they don't help me that often. When you say see if I can spot the hiding place, I think that's part of the problem when it comes to non-urban caches... I'm not sure what to look for short of "bison tube", "rice jar", or whatever the description leads me to.

I guess I was wondering if I'm doing things wrong, or not following "searchers etiquette" and looking in the common places or whatever first. I've read all the FAQ's and Geocaching 101's... it's just tough when people are saying they happened to pass by with their kids and they stumbled right upon it... One that I was at, I spent two FULL days at it and couldn't find the cache and someone's log said "I just happened to turn my head and look right at it"... that was a kick in the gonads. lol

I also don't use a phone for caching, so I can't speak to the accuracy other than what I've heard here. But I would suggest that if you are going to continue to use your phone instead of a dedicated GPSr, that you do go looking for the easier ones for now, because that will help you become familiar with the idiosyncrasies of your phone.

And if you intend to hide a cache that requires rope climbing, you had better make doggone sure that you are familiar with those idiosyncrasies first!

My own experience with the phone units is that they tend not be quite as accurate as dedicated GPS units. Having said that, I know an awful lot of people find an awful lot of caches with them.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

My own experience with the phone units is that they tend not be quite as accurate as dedicated GPS units. Having said that, I know an awful lot of people find an awful lot of caches with them.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

The difficulty I usually do 1-3... terrain I like to do 3-4... I'm more interested in the journey rather than the destination :)

One time I was completely overanalyzing one that my GPS was sending me awry in, so I rappelled down a vertical sewer line, then went about 50 feet INTO a sealed off drainage system where I had to be on my hands and knees just to get in. I then remembered I was claustrophobic and decided no one in their right mind would hide it in there anyway lol... but things like that I find exciting... and to top it off, it was a night cache in a graveyard :D

I've been "casual caching" for almost a year, but usually end up going to ones that are pretty cut and dry like hidden at a specific landmark or a specific location, etc.

The difficulty I usually do 1-3... terrain I like to do 3-4... I'm more interested in the journey rather than the destination :)

One time I was completely overanalyzing one that my GPS was sending me awry in, so I rappelled down a vertical sewer line, then went about 50 feet INTO a sealed off drainage system where I had to be on my hands and knees just to get in. I then remembered I was claustrophobic and decided no one in their right mind would hide it in there anyway lol... but things like that I find exciting... and to top it off, it was a night cache in a graveyard :D

Sounds like you're more of an "extreme cacher" than a casual one. No lamp post hides for you, you want the mega-challenge. :laughing: And that's just fine, everyone plays the way they like to the best but just know that you are going to have a harder time finding those prizes. That's not lack of experience necessarily, it's more the nature of the beast. The advice above is still good though. Play through some of the easier ones until you develop your geosense and consider investing in a more robust dedicated GPSr.

-edited fro speling erorrs-

Edited by Brooklyn51

I have several geocaching apps on my phone(Yes, my phone is my GPS), and they always seem to walk me in circles. One says 40ft north, and another says 60ft west. Then i go back to the first one and it says 80ft west again.

Not knowing which phone you have this is just conjecture but I think you have answered your own question. Both apps are taking their positional data from the same GPS (probably not a GPS but a triangulated position from the cell towers) and getting different locations. This would indicate that the position being supplied to the apps is different.

A different phone could help as the GPS algorithms have been improved in newer phones, some even have a true GPS chip in them.

But in the end a GPS will do better than the phone in most cases.

(Note: I cache with my phone on many occasions, sometimes even pulling it out alongside my GPS. Several different phones have given me vastly different experiences)

I miss my old phone because its GPS was dead on. My new one is not really a lot of help. I have to use my geo sences now. It will kind of work you just have to keep moving. Once you stop it jumps all over. With this new one you have to walk away from GZ and then head back in a fast motion. Then it can take you to GZ but if you stop it will start jumping all over. Look at the map in the navigation mode to give you an idea of where it is. Then just walk to it and back using the compass and when you figure you are close start searching.

-WarNinjas

everyone plays the way they like to the best but just know that you are going to have a harder time finding those prizes. That's not lack of experience necessarily, it's more the nature of the beast.

For these, it's usually pretty cut and dry where the cache is, it's just a matter of skill to get it. One time the terrain was a 4, but that was because I had to hang off of the 7th story of a parking garage to reach it velcro'd to the side of the exterior of the building. Some of the others I've done just required some physical fitness to get to, but was pretty obvious where it was. It seems like a lower difficulty, and a higher terrain would be more along what I'm looking for?

Not knowing which phone you have this is just conjecture but I think you have answered your own question. Both apps are taking their positional data from the same GPS (probably not a GPS but a triangulated position from the cell towers) and getting different locations. This would indicate that the position being supplied to the apps is different.

I use currently a Samsung Infuse, and my fiance an HTC Inspire, and both of them seem to have the same results. However... when I took my iPhone4 when I had it... it may be just my imagination, but I think that was a little bit more accurate, not sure why.

I miss my old phone because its GPS was dead on. My new one is not really a lot of help. I have to use my geo sences now. It will kind of work you just have to keep moving. Once you stop it jumps all over. With this new one you have to walk away from GZ and then head back in a fast motion. Then it can take you to GZ but if you stop it will start jumping all over. Look at the map in the navigation mode to give you an idea of where it is. Then just walk to it and back using the compass and when you figure you are close start searching.

-WarNinjas

This is exactly what happens to me.... it tells me it's all over the place when I'm standing stationary and is confusing as heck as to where it TRULY is. I have no problem following a compass or some directions or reading clues, but when my compass is spinning me(literally) in circles... it adds a whole new twist to the challenge.

This is exactly what happens to me.... it tells me it's all over the place when I'm standing stationary and is confusing as heck as to where it TRULY is. I have no problem following a compass or some directions or reading clues, but when my compass is spinning me(literally) in circles... it adds a whole new twist to the challenge.

I think that once you have come to a stationary position the GPS tends to stall and spin round. You are best moving about 40 ft away and then re-approaching GZ at a steady pace to get the best reading. On difficult terrain/under tree cover then you may have to do this a couple of times to get the best fix and then just put the GPS in your bag and hunt with your eyes.

I think that once you have come to a stationary position the GPS tends to stall and spin round. You are best moving about 40 ft away and then re-approaching GZ at a steady pace to get the best reading. On difficult terrain/under tree cover then you may have to do this a couple of times to get the best fix and then just put the GPS in your bag and hunt with your eyes.

I'll give this a try today or tomorrow and see how it works