send to my GPS

Big Yonsson

Is the garmin set to mass storage?

Menu/setup/interface/USB mass storage

I find sending individual caches is way easy. But it comes over as the GC code, whereas a PQ sends the caches over as titles.

for the 60CSx you don't put caches on the card, they have to go into internal memory and show up on the waypoint menu. You can not put a PQ on a 60CSx without some "helper" program, either the send to gps on the webpage or mapsource, EASYgps, or GSAK to read the PQ and they load the unit via the program.

I find sending individual caches is way easy. But it comes over as the GC code, whereas a PQ sends the caches over as titles.

for the 60CSx you don't put caches on the card, they have to go into internal memory and show up on the waypoint menu. You can not put a PQ on a 60CSx without some "helper" program, either the send to gps on the webpage or mapsource, EASYgps, or GSAK to read the PQ and they load the unit via the program.

I connect the 60csx via a regular old cable (not garmin specific) click send to GPS, and it writes it to my garmin. Definitely no GSAK involved or mapsource, which is why I said it was easier than sending a PQ. Is there a way titles come over instead of GC codes when using this route?

But yeah, I just checked and I don't need it to go to mass storage for that one. I dunno. It's definitely not intuitive, that's for sure...I've only had this thing for 2 weeks!

Is that what the mass storage means? Loading stuff onto my card? I'm guessing that where my NW trails maps are.

As this is not a bug report or feature request, I am moving this thread from the Geocaching.com Website forum to the GPS and Technology forum. If you would like a response from Groundspeak, please email contact@Groundspeak.com for a personalized response. The Community Relations Team respond to all emails, and offer support regarding website use and mobile application use.

I connect the 60csx via a regular old cable (not garmin specific) click send to GPS, and it writes it to my garmin. Definitely no GSAK involved or mapsource, which is why I said it was easier than sending a PQ. Is there a way titles come over instead of GC codes when using this route?

But yeah, I just checked and I don't need it to go to mass storage for that one. I dunno. It's definitely not intuitive, that's for sure...I've only had this thing for 2 weeks!

Is that what the mass storage means? Loading stuff onto my card? I'm guessing that where my NW trails maps are.

Yes, mass storage is making the card look like a drive. Maps, Poi's and tracks can be stored on the card.

The problem with writing titles instead of GC numbers is the space allowed. You have only 16 characters for that field, hence the cache page and mapsource will only write the GC numbers.

GSAK will generate smartnames, which is a generated shorter name, you can use in this field. GSAK will put the cache title in the comment field which is 30 characters. Not sure about mapsource since I don't use that for this purpose.

If I never ever use map source again it will be too early.

My problem was doing everything at once. Getting the garmin, loading map source, the communicator, GSAK, uploading NW trails, losing my pre-loaded topo maps...it's all so confusing. Tried first on my Mac and then had to use the hubs laptop. Then had to download something else to stop my garmin from alarming on shutdown. Honestly, I spend many hours reading these forums for help!

I'm afraid to update my PQs on this darn thing. Will they override or will i get duplicates? I google All day and just get lost on the subject!

I still use my security blanket that it my iPhone for the paperless stuff, and honestly after a few caches I just end up using the iPhone for navigation too. It so easy!

seeing the GC code isn't helpful. But seeing even on name in the title would help me determine which cache I'm navigating to. Thanks for that info!!

When I am at the specific cache page,and I hit the,(send to my gps) button.It doesnt find my GPS (device).

Its connected.I have updated all the drivers. my gps is a Garmin 60cx.Help!

For me I find it is the Garmin auto updater that automatically starts when Wndows launches. If the GPSr isn't seen, I unplug then immediately plug in the GPSr from the PC & try again. That usually works. If it doesn't, then open Task Manager and close down the Garmin updater in processes, That's been my success.

When you hit "Send to GPS," is the popup window set to the DeLorme tab? If so, wait until it's done not finding a DeLorme, switch to the Garmin tab, try again, and leave the popup open until you're done sending all the individual caches you want to in that browser session.

If the Garmin communicator plugin doesn't find your GPSr then try getting the latest update to the plugin from Garmin. To eliminate the USB cable as a failure point put the GPSr in mass storage mode (Setup, Interface, USB Mass Storage). If windows explorer can see the file system on the GPSr then the cable is good.

Other possible culprits are anti-virus software, firewall, or browser security features.

OK, I have read all these posts. I was a premium member for a while, then stopped caching for a while, and now I can't make the send to GPS work at all (it worked perfectly with the same GPS, Garmin 60CSx, before). The Garmin tab locates my device, and then I hit "Write," which is the only option that could possibly mean "send to my GPS." and then it says it sent it to the plugin. When I follow the address that's given for the plug in, the plugin doesn't show up. I am baffled. I loved this site before, and I can't understand why, with the same GPS, the same site, and the same human (me), it won't work now. Please help!

Cacheret

When you hit "Send to GPS," is the popup window set to the DeLorme tab? If so, wait until it's done not finding a DeLorme, switch to the Garmin tab, try again, and leave the popup open until you're done sending all the individual caches you want to in that browser session.

If the Garmin communicator plugin doesn't find your GPSr then try getting the latest update to the plugin from Garmin. To eliminate the USB cable as a failure point put the GPSr in mass storage mode (Setup, Interface, USB Mass Storage). If windows explorer can see the file system on the GPSr then the cable is good.

Other possible culprits are anti-virus software, firewall, or browser security features.

OK, I have read all these posts. I was a premium member for a while, then stopped caching for a while, and now I can't make the send to GPS work at all (it worked perfectly with the same GPS, Garmin 60CSx, before). The Garmin tab locates my device, and then I hit "Write," which is the only option that could possibly mean "send to my GPS." and then it says it sent it to the plugin. When I follow the address that's given for the plug in, the plugin doesn't show up. I am baffled. I loved this site before, and I can't understand why, with the same GPS, the same site, and the same human (me), it won't work now. Please help!

Cacheret

From GC.com, clicking on "Send to GPS" should cause a window to pop-up that has a Garmin tab, that has a "Write" button. Clicking on the "Write" button should produce a message that file GCXXXXXX.gpx was successfully written. An icon should show up on the map where the cache was located.

I don't follow your statement "follow the address that's given for the plug in." The plugin should be installed on the computer. I have heard there is a bug in the mac version of the 4.0.1 plugin that renders it useless. If you are using a mac then install the 3.0.1 version of the plug-in. An archive of past issues of Garmin software/firmware is available at Garmin Utilities

Thanks, Chuck. What I get instead of this :message that file GCXXXXXX.gpx was successfully written. An icon should show up on the map where the cache was located is a message that gives a location on my computer. According to this, the plugin should be in my library in internet plugins, but it isn't there. Apparently, the cache is being sent to a file associated with my plugin. Oh well.

So, I went to the page you gave for the Garmin archives, and my computer asks what I want to use to open the plugin. The default is TextEdit, which, of course, isn't the right one, but what is? I'm sorry to be so ignorant!

Thanks again!

Cacheret

From GC.com, clicking on "Send to GPS" should cause a window to pop-up that has a Garmin tab, that has a "Write" button. Clicking on the "Write" button should produce a message that file GCXXXXXX.gpx was successfully written. An icon should show up on the map where the cache was located.

I don't follow your statement "follow the address that's given for the plug in." The plugin should be installed on the computer. I have heard there is a bug in the mac version of the 4.0.1 plugin that renders it useless. If you are using a mac then install the 3.0.1 version of the plug-in. An archive of past issues of Garmin software/firmware is available at Garmin Utilities