waterproofing wooden caches

What kind of wood is it? Some woods do better outside than others. Spanish Cedar, Mahoganies, Ipe, Cumaru, to name a few.

Any wood will work IF you seal it completely. Polyurethane, several coats, and use glossy, it has more protection properties than a matte or satin finish.

If not, once water starts to seep in, it will twist, and cup and turn and begin to fall apart.

How is it put together? Glue? Glue and nails? Dovetail joints? That will matter too.

Can you seal the lid with a gasket, to keep water out? If you can't keep the elements out, it will rot.

What kind of climate do you live in? Desert, tropical, 4 seasons.....?

I have seen a couple of wooden caches that were pretty gross and not doing well.

And just as an FYI, I am in the lumber business.

What kind of wood is it? Some woods do better outside than others. Spanish Cedar, Mahoganies, Ipe, Cumaru, to name a few.

Any wood will work IF you seal it completely. Polyurethane, several coats, and use glossy, it has more protection properties than a matte or satin finish.

If not, once water starts to seep in, it will twist, and cup and turn and begin to fall apart.

How is it put together? Glue? Glue and nails? Dovetail joints? That will matter too.

Can you seal the lid with a gasket, to keep water out? If you can't keep the elements out, it will rot.

I have seen a couple of wooden caches that were pretty gross and not doing well.

Thank you, seems like you know alot about this. I don't know what wood. It is glued together by me, with Amazing Goop, as it fell into little pieces after being out in the moisture. It had started to get moldy too. We live in a very moist climate, lots of rain, rarely freezing temperatures though. We have some wooden caches here that are also not doing well, which is why I ask. I will go with your suggestions.

24cd683a-7d33-4f9d-85a1-315e27734cef.jpg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CHYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westsystem.com%2Fss%2F105-epoxy-resin%2F&ei=lWfFToaZEYXZ0QGQn4WDDw&usg=AFQjCNEa5l9hgNeAgc4Q3kw0NReFTTJIxw

You want to waterproof wood, this is the way to go. I can personally attest to its ability to waterproof. That is me with the canoe I built using the same. Cedar Strips ripped from barn siding.

Edited by Packanack

Most of the wooden caches I've come across have been full of woodlice and earwigs. I'd say that a rubber gasket is essential to keep out insects and moisture. Then I'd put a plastic box inside the wooden box as a lining, even if that makes it rather small.

How would one make a rubber gasket?

Goe to Home Depot in the plumbing dept, they sell plumbers rubber gastkets ready to be cut.

Yes! West System epoxy! Of course. That is what my boss sealed his boats with. Of course. Why I didn't think of that, I don't know. I was working on flooring orders all day, I guess. That is what you need, but it isn't cheap, and I don't know if you can buy a small portion. Got anything else you need protected too?

If your box is already moldy and has moisture in it, try to bake that out first. 20 minutes in a very low temp toaster oven (clean the oven when done), watching it carefully, should help kill the mold. Don't overcook the wood, so it starts cupping. Or maybe just rub it with an alcohol, like isopropyl, let that dry/evaporate, to kill the mold. Or it could rot inside the epoxy. Got another box?

If you really want to waterproof it, get a two part epoxy resin. Brush it on thin with a couple of coats. If you want a shiny finish, you can use a clear varnish over the epoxy. The epoxy resin itself does not provide any UV protection but the varnish will. That's essentially how cedar strip canoes and kayaks are finished and they obviously get exposed to water a lot.

Thank you, seems like you know alot about this. I don't know what wood. It is glued together by me, with Amazing Goop, as it fell into little pieces after being out in the moisture. It had started to get moldy too. We live in a very moist climate, lots of rain, rarely freezing temperatures though. We have some wooden caches here that are also not doing well, which is why I ask. I will go with your suggestions.

I bought the ceder and clear white planks from a hardware store but I ripped all the strips myself and built this:

launch11.gif