Androzic

I recently purchases a Verizon CASIO C771 Android Smartphone. I'm happy with the phone. After some initial frustrations with learing how to use the OS, I'm enjoying the device. I downloaded the GC.com geocaching app mainly because I had it on my iPod Touch and I'm familiar with it's operation. I tested it out last night one one of my caches and it worked pretty well.

I've been reading a lot of the reviews for various geocaching apps and the Androzic app gets a lot of postive reviews.

Has anyone had any experience with this app? If so, please give me your honest opinion on how well the app performs.

Have you had better experience with another app? If so, I would appreciate your feedback.

D&JCC

Beavercreek, OH

I recently purchases a Verizon CASIO C771 Android Smartphone. I'm happy with the phone. After some initial frustrations with learing how to use the OS, I'm enjoying the device. I downloaded the GC.com geocaching app mainly because I had it on my iPod Touch and I'm familiar with it's operation. I tested it out last night one one of my caches and it worked pretty well.

I've been reading a lot of the reviews for various geocaching apps and the Androzic app gets a lot of postive reviews.

Has anyone had any experience with this app? If so, please give me your honest opinion on how well the app performs.

Have you had better experience with another app? If so, I would appreciate your feedback.

D&JCC

Beavercreek, OH

I've got the same phone (Casio Commando, right?), and am kinda getting to like it. Haven't yet strapped it to the front of my truck for some good ol' 4-wheeling like the commercials, but it has survived some gentle drops and a 4-year old. The battery life isn't too bad, and I'm only going to trust the claims of being waterproof (resistant) at this time. I've used the GC app sparingly, and really only used it to find a couple of caches so far. Previous versions (i.e., last 4 months worth) have been very buggy with frequent force closings, but it seems to be getting more stable. I use GSAK to manage my PQs, and loading to the phone/managing the stored lists seems a bit more difficult than needed, but is better than trying to download from the site straight to the phone. I've previously been a purist, handheld GPS-only type cacher, and this phone/app combo would not change that substantially. I do travel a bunch, and having the ability to check for nearby caches on a whim is kinda cool, but it won't replace the 62s and PQs.

HTH!

Great for mapping navigation, but how does this tie in to Geocaching specifically?

Specifically, I'm soliciting the GC community for the best Geocaching app for the Android Operating System. I currently own a Garmin Dakota Handheld GPS that I've been using for two years. However, not that I have a smart phone, I want an app for it as well, mainly as a stand by and so that I can cache on the fly.

I read that the Androzic app was good for Geocaching. I'm not partial to it. It's one that I read about. I'm open to suggestions.

If you have used this or another app that has served you well, I'd like to hear about your specific experiences.

Thank you.

Specifically, I'm soliciting the GC community for the best Geocaching app for the Android Operating System.

If you're a premium member, the answer is Neongeo.

You can (legally) download caches wherever you are. You can log them. You can grab, "visit" and drop trackables. If you like puzzles, it automatically grabs the corrected coordinates from your Personal Cache Note. You can download pocket queries directly into the app from geocaching.com.

It caches map tiles, and can create offline maps. This means that you can load a bunch of caches and maps of an area while you're on a free wi-fi connection, and cache to your heart's content without ever using your mobile data plan.

It surpasses Groundspeak's app in every way, and costs half as much. The developer is an active geocacher who pays attention to feature requests and bug reports from users.

Specifically, I'm soliciting the GC community for the best Geocaching app for the Android Operating System.

If you're a premium member, the answer is Neongeo.

You can (legally) download caches wherever you are. You can log them. You can grab, "visit" and drop trackables. If you like puzzles, it automatically grabs the corrected coordinates from your Personal Cache Note. You can download pocket queries directly into the app from geocaching.com.

It caches map tiles, and can create offline maps. This means that you can load a bunch of caches and maps of an area while you're on a free wi-fi connection, and cache to your heart's content without ever using your mobile data plan.

It surpasses Groundspeak's app in every way, and costs half as much. The developer is an active geocacher who pays attention to feature requests and bug reports from users.

Wow - an app with a support wiki. What a concept.

Surfed their wiki and support stuff online and immediately purchased it, figuring $4.26 was cheap if it lowers my blood pressure from the bugs and misfeatures in the official android app. In just a few minutes of fiddling around with it, all I can say is WOW what a nice interface. Looking forward to switching to it for a while to see how it goes. At a minimum I'll have another option that doesn't violate the TOS. Thanks for the pointer !!!!!