GPSr Opinions

Z_Statman

I am looking into one of these for trail hiking, caching & auto routing and would appreciate opinions toward preference. It might replace one I have or become the primary unit and would give an older one to my son

Garmin GPSMAP 62

Magellan eXplorist 510

Tks

Edited by Z_Statman

Garmin units are the most popular by far for good reason, quality units with useful features and good customer service. Magellan once had a huge part of the geocaching market and lost it for good reason, their reputation for terrible customer service/support.

Even if the eXplorist was the better unit I'd hesitate to buy it because of their customer support reputation. It isn't the better unit though.

Have you considered DeLorme? The PN60 is a pretty nifty unit.

One consideration, while your handheld GPS will do auto routing with the appropriate software installed, buying that software will cost you as much, if not more than buying an automotive GPS for that purpose. For example Garmin's City Navigator runs $139 while you can get a Tom Tom 540M with lifetime maps for $109. The only exception is DeLorme which comes with routing maps included in the purchase price. Unfortunately DeLorme's auto routing is primitive at best and I would not rely on it for driving unless it's an emergency.

You are probably better off buying two units, one for geocaching and one for the vehicle. It would cost about the same as buying a hand held and the auto routing software and an automotive unit will do a better job in the car than a handheld.

Edited by briansnat

One consideration, while your handheld GPS will do auto routing with the appropriate software installed, buying that software will cost you as much, if not more than buying an automotive GPS for that purpose. For example Garmin's City Navigator runs $139 while you can get a Tom Tom 540M with lifetime maps for $109. The only exception is DeLorme which comes with routing maps included in the purchase price.

Although many of the free mapping options, those based on OSM, will allow routing....and are free :)

I rue the day I 'upgraded' from my 60CSx to a 62st. The 60CSx was a much better device in almost every way. Wish I had it back. In fact I prefer my Android cell phone to the 62st, it's that bad.

I know several former 60CSX owners who are very pleased with their 62. What is it about the 62 that you dislike so much?

One consideration, while your handheld GPS will do auto routing with the appropriate software installed, buying that software will cost you as much, if not more than buying an automotive GPS for that purpose. For example Garmin's City Navigator runs $139 while you can get a Tom Tom 540M with lifetime maps for $109. The only exception is DeLorme which comes with routing maps included in the purchase price.

Although many of the free mapping options, those based on OSM, will allow routing....and are free :)

Though I've never used the free routing maps I know a few people who have and found them to be inferior.

I rue the day I 'upgraded' from my 60CSx to a 62st. The 60CSx was a much better device in almost every way. Wish I had it back. In fact I prefer my Android cell phone to the 62st, it's that bad.

I know several former 60CSX owners who are very pleased with their 62. What is it about the 62 that you dislike so much?

Slow. Less accurate. More difficult menu system. Compass is all over the place when close to ground zero. When navigating in my car I am often past the turn before the GPS tells me about it. Case is not sealed, when I press the power button the whole side of the unit flexes and creaks. Tech support says don't sweat the small stuff and won't replace it.

None of that was true with my 60CSx.

Though I've never used the free routing maps I know a few people who have and found them to be inferior.

I can't say what they are like over the pond but the UK OSM is pretty good :)

Slow. Less accurate. More difficult menu system. Compass is all over the place when close to ground zero. When navigating in my car I am often past the turn before the GPS tells me about it. Case is not sealed, when I press the power button the whole side of the unit flexes and creaks. Tech support says don't sweat the small stuff and won't replace it.

None of that was true with my 60CSx.

To be honest, I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in using either the 60CSx or the 62s to get to the cache. I used my 60CSx this morning and my 62s yesterday with similar results in finding both caches. The 62s has more features, the big plus being it's paperless capabilities. I like them both and I have no intention of giving up my 60CSx.