I'm at my limit of watched caches

Dru Morgan

OK, I watch every cache I have visited (79 as of this post) and the ones that I am thinking about doing. I like to see who is visiting the ones I have and hear their stories. I also like to keep abreast of the latest happenings at the caches I am planning in case one goes missing or somthing like that.

Well, today, I reached my limit. I tried to put my 101st cache in to the watch list and was turned away at the door. Even without watching my future caches, I will be out of past caches in 21 more finds.

Assuming that the database will not be updated to change this limit, is there any suggestion that other cachers have? I suppose that I could drop a few of the ones that are archived, as they are not going to generate much email. It is nice to have them, in case they ever get found and reinstated etc.

I don't want a solution like get another user ID, as I feel that is cheating, and much too messy for my anal retentive tendencies.

As my numbers are right now, I can trim the fat and make it work, but in a few weeks as I really pass over 100 found and keep going strong, eventually, I am going to have to change my policy of watching so many. I just don't know where to trim.

I guess, the only part that will stay below will be the caches I am thinking about and planning for. The caches I have see already will only get bigger.

Oh, and to answer the question of how do I deal with so many emails. First, I need something to fill my inbox besides all the spam I get. And second, surprisingly, there really isn't that much for 100 caches. I get about 2-3 a day. That makes for nice reading.

stealyourcache.jpg

Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills

One man gathers what another man spills - St. Stephen (on caching)

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

I do the same thing and the same is about to happen to me... I'll be at my limit within the next two weeks. I don't want to have to choose caches to stop watching, I enjoy getting the email about every cache that I have visited. I also don't want to have to set up extra "dummy" accounts to get around the limit, that's just, well, dumb. icon_smile.gif I'd rather see the limit raised or removed.

I do the same thing and the same is about to happen to me... I'll be at my limit within the next two weeks. I don't want to have to choose caches to stop watching, I enjoy getting the email about every cache that I have visited. I also don't want to have to set up extra "dummy" accounts to get around the limit, that's just, well, dumb. icon_smile.gif I'd rather see the limit raised or removed.

Holy cow! I don't know which to be more suprised over, that you can watch 100 caches or that people are actually watching 100 caches. I now see where a chunk of the bandwidth goes. Maybe an increased value should be added for charter members and maybe a lower ceiling should be set for non-charter members. Any lower ceiling should grandfather in watched caches currently over that limit but not allow more. Maybe 150 for charter members and 25 for non-charter members.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dragon:

Holy cow! I don't know which to be more suprised over, that you can watch 100 caches or that people are actually watching 100 caches.

ditto...

quote:
I now see where a chunk of the bandwidth goes. Maybe an increased value should be added for charter members and maybe a lower ceiling should be set for non-charter members.

Good idea - there have been lots of things popping up lately that could be implimented into the premium service. It seems that lately, people are really starting to expect more and more from this free service. icon_smile.gif Not necessarily the person that started this thread - I'm talking about the lots of people in general who have been posting their suggestions in the forums.

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dragon:

Holy cow! I don't know which to be more suprised over, that you can watch 100 caches or that people are actually watching 100 caches.

ditto...

quote:
I now see where a chunk of the bandwidth goes. Maybe an increased value should be added for charter members and maybe a lower ceiling should be set for non-charter members.

Good idea - there have been lots of things popping up lately that could be implimented into the premium service. It seems that lately, people are really starting to expect more and more from this free service. icon_smile.gif Not necessarily the person that started this thread - I'm talking about the lots of people in general who have been posting their suggestions in the forums.

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

What I mean is, run your zip code and remove the caches listed on page 1 from your watchlist. Then you can occasionally run your nearest caches and read the logs off that page. You would have to go to each cache page, so I guess it would be time consuming.

I've also hit my limit a few times. I'd originally planned to watch every cache I'd tried to find, plus a few others. I'm at 112 finds (and 181 log entries), and recently had to go through my list and ''unwatch'' all of the caches that have been archived that I'd found.

A while ago, I also had to ''unwatch'' Markwell's photographer's caches.

I just counted my watched caches, and I'm up to 100 again. There's been three more on my watch list that've been archived, so that buys me three more slots, but that won't last long.

Wish I could get more than 100.

And no, it's not an umanagable amount of e-mail. 213 messages in the last 17 days, to be exact. That's only 13 messages a day. They're usually quick reads (mainly because I don't have to read the long rambling logs that I write myself).

icon_rolleyes.gif

I take my family everywhere, but they always find their way back home.

I've also hit my limit a few times. I'd originally planned to watch every cache I'd tried to find, plus a few others. I'm at 112 finds (and 181 log entries), and recently had to go through my list and ''unwatch'' all of the caches that have been archived that I'd found.

A while ago, I also had to ''unwatch'' Markwell's photographer's caches.

I just counted my watched caches, and I'm up to 100 again. There's been three more on my watch list that've been archived, so that buys me three more slots, but that won't last long.

Wish I could get more than 100.

And no, it's not an umanagable amount of e-mail. 213 messages in the last 17 days, to be exact. That's only 13 messages a day. They're usually quick reads (mainly because I don't have to read the long rambling logs that I write myself).

icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe a different way to approach this is to have the option to be e-mailed about the caches you've found, since they're already being tracked for your account. That way you only need to actually watch caches you haven't found.

On a related note, how about categories for watch lists? I haven't seen this suggested before, but it would be cool to be able to categorize watched caches..."Near home," "With Travel Bugs" etc.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin

I like this one. And, I see that others are just as addicted as I am. Watching the ones you have visited allows you to relive the fun you had by going there in the first place. And, as stated by many others, there really isn't that much mail generated by it. But, any word from above about the possibility of a toggle for 'receive logs from found caches' ? That would solve the problem pretty quickly and then I would only have to actually 'watch' the 20 or so that I am planning to tackle next.

stealyourcache.jpg

Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills

One man gathers what another man spills - St. Stephen (on caching)

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

I primarily use the watch list to watch caches I PLAN to hunt. When I want to revisit some old caches, I just click 'em one at a time from my My Cache Page. Living in an area with a LOT of cachers, there's no way I'd want to watch all 300+ caches I've found. I'd get WAY toomuch mail!

25021_1200.gif

Well, I bagged cache #120 today, and can't add it to my ''Watch this cache'' list without deleting another active cache off of it (so I guess there's about 19 caches that I've ''unwatched'' because they got archived).

Time to set up a puppet account...

quote:
Originally posted by ThatRoyGuy:

Maybe a different way to approach this is to have the option to be e-mailed about the caches you've found, since they're already being tracked for your account. That way you only need to actually watch caches you haven't found.

There is a solution now, at least for those who have stepped up to charter membership:

Check out the options on the 'Pocket Query Generator'. You could set up a query to specifically return the caches you've found or just the ones with a TB, etc...

Even though the idea is targeted at handheld users (Palm, etc...) there IS a free reader appication that lets you read the ebook format on a Windoze PC (unfortunately for everybody else out there) (Think Different!)

As Jeremy works out the details on the next format (GPX), it looks like there will be an open standard coming up that should open up a range of applications to handle the data...

I watch caches in my area to maintain info for my own hunting as well as to notice any new players in the area. However, the MAIN reason I watch so many caches is to have notification of when a cache gets archived (or unarchived). The only way you get that notification is if you're watching the cache (there is no pocket query option for "caches recently archived"). So, I have a sock puppet account to watch all the caches in my area.

The biggest problem is that the e-mail notification we get on a weekly basis does not notify us when a cache is unarchived in our area. I'm not talking about the temporary disabling of cache, but the true archives where Jeremy has had to do his magic on the database to unarchive.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Team VE suggested:

quote:
You could set up a query to specifically return the caches you've found or just the ones with a TB, etc...

That's different than a watch list. I want to get a copy of the log entry every time someone's found a cache that I did, so I can laugh at how long it took them compared to me (or cringe when someone finds it in 5 minutes when it took me two trips and three hours). Your recommendation will only give me a list of caches, not much different than my list of logs.

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

I tried to get my puppet to watch a members only cache... no luck.

I had to unwatch a 'normal' cache from my primary account, watch the M.O. cache, logout, login as my puppet, and watch the 'normal' cache that I'd just unwatched.

It's a hassle, but worth it. icon_frown.gif

I tried to get my puppet to watch a members only cache... no luck.

I had to unwatch a 'normal' cache from my primary account, watch the M.O. cache, logout, login as my puppet, and watch the 'normal' cache that I'd just unwatched.

It's a hassle, but worth it. icon_frown.gif

Are you really going to continue to want all of these emails as your find count grows? I found cache number 550 this weekend. I couldn't imagine getting emails every time someone finds any of those.

I only watch the caches that I could not find and those that I wish to find in the future, but are not in my area. I currently am watching six caches. Between these six caches, my 32 hides and miscellaneous emails from cachers, I have all the geocaching related email I could ever want. I no longer have a spam problem as I took greater control of my accounts several months ago.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

However, the MAIN reason I watch so many caches is to have notification of when a cache gets archived (or unarchived). The only way you get that notification is if you're watching the cache (there is no pocket query option for "caches recently archived").

And now I only watch caches within 20 miles of home (and a select few others that I've found elsewhere), because I've got a pocket query to give me the 370 caches within 60 miles of home. I can convert that loc file to something usable in my Access Database, which feeds info to the Chicago Geocaching page.

Even then with the limit of 20 miles, I still have too many: there are 107 non-Markwell caches within 20 miles of my house. Good problem to have!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Cool -- I just discovered this change. Now that I'm approaching 200 finds, I'd just hit my limit in my puppet account, too, and was about to create a 'TravisL3' account, but now I see I don't have to.

With proper e-mail filing rules in effect, it's not that much of a hassle to get so many messages. I was gone all MLK weekend, and since Friday night, it was only 144 messages (including 13 'so-and-so found your cache' messages). Honestly, I did read them all, because I just love reading other people's logs.

Admins: is there a way you can transfer all the items that TravisL2 is watching to TravisL's watch list, and then kill the TravisL2 account?

(As a side note, I discovered that although a non-member like TravisL2 can't see members-only caches, they can put them on their watch lists.)

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."