Letter boxing stats

Ramblin_Man

I recently found a letter box cache while looking for a geo-cache. On my stats I have a couple of letter box finds that I found a couple years ago.

My questions is how do ( if they do) letter box caches get added to your geo stats?

Welcome to the club, I think I've stumbled on more than 10 Letterboxes while Geocaching. :lol: If it was listed on Letterboxing North America, and/or Atlas Quest, you do not get them added to your stats. Totally different game, and totally different websites.

I recently found a letter box cache while looking for a geo-cache. On my stats I have a couple of letter box finds that I found a couple years ago.

My questions is how do ( if they do) letter box caches get added to your geo stats?

What are published here through Groundspeak are called "Letterbox Hybrids". They are not the same as "true" letterboxes.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Letterboxes aren't included in your Groundspeak stats because they are completely different organizations / listing services.

Welcome to the club, I think I've stumbled on more than 10 Letterboxes while Geocaching. :lol: If it was listed on Letterboxing North America, and/or Atlas Quest, you do not get them added to your stats. Totally different game, and totally different websites.

Nah, they both require you to find a container, one using clues, one with GPS coords.

I've found one letterbox while geocaching. And DNFed the cache... For 30 minutes. I came back with the group during the event, and someone else found it and I got to sign the log.

I always thought they should lower the requirement for distance to 100 feet instead of 500 or so. But I found the letterbox 100 feet away over a creek. Why? Because it looked like a nice geopile... It was, just not for the container I was looking for. So I chucked the letterbox into the creek.

I didn't really chuck it.

Thanks for the reply. I guess you can always play two games at once...so to speak

Yep, if you like geocaching you will almost certainly like letterboxing. Extremely similar hobbies, and many people do both.

The only issue is that letterboxing stats are not as braggable, so many geocachers leave them to the way-side. It's a shame.

Thanks for the reply. I guess you can always play two games at once...so to speak

Yep, if you like geocaching you will almost certainly like letterboxing. Extremely similar hobbies, and many people do both.

The only issue is that letterboxing stats are not as braggable, so many geocachers leave them to the way-side. It's a shame.

What are published here through Groundspeak are called "Letterbox Hybrids". They are not the same as "true" letterboxes.

Letterboxes aren't included in your Groundspeak stats because they are completely different organizations / listing services.

Nah, they both require you to find a container, one using clues, one with GPS coords.

The true Letterboxes, as opposed to the Geocache 'Hybrid' on Groundspeak, require you to use a stamp -preferably hand-made- to log your visit.

If you decide to do Letterboxes, you will also need to carry an inkpad. Most letterboxes don't have one for the stamp, or it's so old the ink is dry!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

There's nothing that precludes the use of GPS coordinates instead of clues. The thing that's different is the contents of the box. In geocaching we exchange swag, "take something leave something", in the Letterboxing game we exchange stamp images, take the letterbox's stamp image leave your signature stamp image. The stamp images are collectible. They are usually unique - either a one-of-a-kind handcarved stamp or a custom-made stamp (but yes sometimes people put commercial stamps in boxes, but those are not encouraged).

Edited by Lone R

Yes, I recently been on the letter boxing site, it is not as sophisticated as the geocaching website or appears as easy to navigate, but I will check it when I do venture out... two birds are better than one.

Go to http://www.atlasquest.com not the LBNA site (http://www.letterboxing.org). Atlas Quest is much more like geocaching.com. Lots of bells and whistles. There are a fair amount of letterboxes in your area - try the Simple Search on AQ. You will need to set up a free account. You can log finds and leave comments and to see the status of boxes. If you become a premium member you can keep a record of "unlisted" boxes (letterboxes listed on geocaching only, letterboxes listed on LBNA only, word-of-mouth letterboxes). It also has some great forums including a geocaching forum. You're in Ontario, like me. Just about all of us in Ontario use AtlasQuest.com. There's a AQ Ontario forum.You can even download a GPX file of boxes in your area - however they are more like .loc files, you don't get the paperless function that you do with geocaching.com gpx files. I can tell you more about how to manipulate location data so you get a more accurate GPX file, if you want to know.

Edited by Lone R

Yes, I recently been on the letter boxing site, it is not as sophisticated as the geocaching website or appears as easy to navigate, but I will check it when I do venture out... two birds are better than one.

Go to http://www.atlasquest.com not the LBNA site (http://www.letterboxing.org). Atlas Quest is much more like geocaching.com. Lots of bells and whistles. There are a fair amount of letterboxes in your area - try the Simple Search on AQ. You will need to set up a free account. You can log finds and leave comments and to see the status of boxes. If you become a premium member you can keep a record of "unlisted" boxes (letterboxes listed on geocaching only, letterboxes listed on LBNA only, word-of-mouth letterboxes). It also has some great forums including a geocaching forum. You're in Ontario, like me. Just about all of us in Ontario use AtlasQuest.com. There's a AQ Ontario forum.You can even download a GPX file of boxes in your area - however they are more like .loc files, you don't get the paperless function that you do with geocaching.com gpx files. I can tell you more about how to manipulate location data so you get a more accurate GPX file, if you want to know.

The true Letterboxes, as opposed to the Geocache 'Hybrid' on Groundspeak, require you to use a stamp -preferably hand-made- to log your visit.

If you decide to do Letterboxes, you will also need to carry an inkpad. Most letterboxes don't have one for the stamp, or it's so old the ink is dry!