Travel bug Hotel

William-Munny

Let me know what you all think. I have been at this a few months and really enjoy the out of the way caches. Remote conservation areas, on trails, and the like. What I have found in my area is there arent many caches large enough or not out in the boonies that you can put travel bugs and coins in. So, I was thinking of putting a good size cache with plenty of room for travel bugs and coins on my property. Firstly, is this crazy to bring people to my house, possibly when im not there, and secondly, how do most people feel about going onto someones property even though the owner put the cache there. Again, I kinda like the out of the way caches where noone will be around, so I just want everyones thoughts. I live on a small acreage, but my house is only about 200 feet from the road so to get to the cache you would have to pull in my driveway. I am about 3 miles from a good size highway, so it would be easy access for moving bugs and coins along. Let me know what you think.

I have been to one travel bug hotel that is on someones property. It is in a secure metal mail box with a combination lock and they give the combo out on the website. I know there are three such travel bug hotels that are driving distance from me. This idea seems to be catching on. I can really see why. The one in Cowley, Alberta is GC128F3, and the one in Coaldale, Alberta is GC1F76F. There is also one in Lethbridge, Alberta, but I couldn't find the GC# for you, but you could probably find it (same idea as the others). I have been to other travel bug hotels, and they don't seem as busy as the ones with the lock. (By Busy I mean TB's)

Edited by annejilli

How far away are your nearest neighbors? Is there any possibility that cachers would wander onto your neighbors' property by mistake? Would your neighbors be bothered by seeing strangers in the area?

A certain number of cachers don't like caches on residential property, but they can just ignore yours. I don't mind them, as long as I know that they are placed with permission. Be sure to make it clear in the description that you own the property.

There are pros and cons to placement on your property.

Remember that not all cachers are day people. You may well have flashlights wandering about your property at 3/4am. Are you and/or your "pet" doberman prepared for that?

Are you prepared for an extended family of 13 young'uns and one parent, who is too busy looking for the cache to pay attention to the (multiple) 6 yr. old twins, nephews/nieces and their friends? Better yet, are your tulips and daffodils ready for it?

Granted, not all families or groups are like that -- but there are some (how many bad apples ruin the bushel?).

Security? Well, your home environment plays a big role.

If you are home a lot (and they know it), the cache is plainly and clearly visible and relatively close to your house, security should be excellent.

If none of that exists, security would be as though the cache were placed in a highway rest area.

If your vehicle is in the garage (closed), blinds are drawn closed, no lights on, or not clearly visible from the house, etc., security is little better than the rest area placement.

Yet too, there is the other side of the coin...

You would probably get to meet a lot of other cachers. Most always, that is a good thing.

There are MANY, that will not enter a domicile curtilage to find a cache. A goodly number will hesitate long and hard. a good way around that includes an innocuous little sign or decal like the one in the upper left of your computer screen right now. No wording (a geocacher won't need wording -- others simply don't have a clue what it means). Such a sign signifies obvious permission to hunt the cache up.

Having a cache in your yard can be an interesting proposition. I have been to a few, and it is an uncomfortable feeling, UNLESS something like that sign is present and visible. Then, the curtain of uncertainty lifts.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee