Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger or Falcon 2?

Articus66

I'm trying to find a well-built backpack to be used primarily for geocaching and short hikes. In distilling down the few basic requirements for the geopack I've come to the following conclusions:

1. I want fast access to whatever I'm trying to get at. I don't want to keep taking my pack on/off to get at the stuff I will be accessing most when caching (pens, multi-tool, swag). The pack should either swing out onto my chest where I can access it from the front or I should be able to purchase pouches that can attach to the front straps and I can carry the absolute bare essentials within hands reach.

2. I'm getting tired of carrying a water bottle. I want one hand for my GPSr, the other free.

3. I don't require a massive pack. I want something for caching and short (less than 5 mile) hikes, not overnight camping on the trail so capabilities I don't need are an over-abundance of exterior attach points for bedding, big storage compartments, massive water reservoir, etc.

I've come down to two physically small (but not ultra-small like their remora pack) maxpedition products, both are hydration capable (100oz. reservoir). The Sitka Gearslinger, and the Falcon 2 Backpack (the falcon 2 is the smallest backpack with hydration capability).

I've done a fair share of research on both, reading product reviews online and watching product review videos and have come down to a few conclusions based on my requirements

First, The Sitka is a single-shoulder sling pack and the Falcon 2 is a typical double-strap backpack. Weight distribution is better with the dual-strap, but seeing as my intention is to pack semi-light anyhow, I don't believe this will be an issue. I have owned both types and have enjoyed wearing a double-strap for long hikes, but not when I have to constantly access the contents. On the downside, I've been in situations (climbing or walking on very uneven terrain) where the single shoulder strap feels awkward. But, the Sitka has a waist strap which I didn't have on my other pack, and this might be useful in these types of situations.

Second, right out of the box, I would need to add a pouch or two to the Falcon 2 front straps in order for it to meet my front accessible requirements.

If you own either of these, please share your thoughts..

As an avid hiker it's hard to suggest any pack you haven't actually strapped on, dumped some weight into and walked around in. It's staggering how different various packs feel empty and how they feel with any amount of weight thrown into them. My best advice would be go to a place where you can have your frame (body) measured and try on different packs both with and without weight. Seriously, even for short day hikes you'll be doing yourself an immense favor.

Edited by Wogus!

I went down to the local army surplus store and found a map messenger bag, it's perfect for all the small stuff I carry. The strap fits over my head and the bag then hangs at my side, and can be pushed behind me when needed. It has lots of small pockets for the various small items, and 3 large compartments that can hold my water bottle, first aid, and everything else. The best part is when I hit GZ and start the search, I can put my GPS in the main compartment without much hassle and free my hands up for the search and signing.

I don't own either of these, but I am a fan of Maxpedition products, being quite satified with their Versa Pack. Both of those that you've linked to look way bigger than anything I would want to take on a short hike.

What he said!

Either one of those looks big enough for a weekend overnighter!

The single-strap model looks a bit more reasonable for a day-trip, but I will say I really don't much like my single-strap 'pack'. It's all good as long as you can stand perfectly upright, but any time you need to bend or stoop it swings around to the front and gets in the way. :mad: