Log Replacement

Abcede97

If the cache will only hold one log, it is reasonable to assume it is a micro. Micros are a high maintinence cache, if someone wants to hide them they can take care of them.

When I find a micro that has a full,(or wet, mushy)log, I will find some way to make a mark on the log, and let the CO know he needs to take care of it.

one log? hmmm.... I just add another sheet of paper and leave the full one. If it won't fit, I take it out and toss it in the trash....assuming I know the hider. If not....then I would send a quick note to the owner saying it's full...by clicking on their name on the cache page. I do NOT log a needs maintenance log ( my personal choice).

The log is the owners sacred property! :o

Usually there is some way to leave a mark on what is there, and if there is room I too will leave a new log.

Some cachers will say it is unimportant whether the log was signed by previous finders, but if the owner wants to reconcile the physical log (or not) I'm leaving it up to them.

I don't personally feel that way about my logs but I've been around long enough to know that this is not true for all cache owners. I wouldn't throw someones log away simply because it was full. On the other hand, if the log is a biological nightmare and couldn't possibly be any use to the owner, I have to assume that if they really cared about it, it wouldn't have gotten to that point. In this case, I'd probably dispose of it and leave a fresh one.

I've never seen a log so full that I couldn't squeeze my initials or something in somewhere so I've never bothered to replace one for another CO in those circumstances. In the cases where I have replaced a log for someone it is usually because the original has gone missing or is so trashed there is nothing there to save.

Glad I found this thread.

I was wondering if there was a rule for or against replacing a caches log when it was full.

There is a micro around the corner from where I live.

On the logs, a "needs maintenance" was reported almost 2 months ago and no action has been taken, so I was planning on going over and placing a new sheet in it.

A couple of options based on your personal preferences and how urgent you feel it that the log is replaced:

Log a 'needs maintenance' so that the owner know the log is full, and will hopefully replace it when possible. The response time may vary dependent on the owners personal life (and how diligent they are) so you may have to wait a wee while for a new log.

Swap the log out yourself, so the cache has a fresh empty log ready for the next finder, take the full log home with you, and send the owner a message explaining what you have done (and why) and giving them the option to contact you if they want it back.

Glad I found this thread.

I was wondering if there was a rule for or against replacing a caches log when it was full.

There is a micro around the corner from where I live.

On the logs, a "needs maintenance" was reported almost 2 months ago and no action has been taken, so I was planning on going over and placing a new sheet in it.

How wonderful is this cache? Does it have Needs Maintenance flag on it. Perhaps you can add that instead of a new log sheet. If the owner has abandoned the cache maybe it's time to put it to rest and open up the space for a new cache with an owner (perhaps yourself) who will maintain it.