I didn't find the cache, but most probably due to technical issues - what do I log?

RoisinDonn

Okay, so today I went looking for my first cache. Yay! Except, not, because I didn't find it :P

So far, so clear - log should be Not Found, and that's the end of that. Except for one thing: the most likely reason why I di not find it is equipment. I say this not because I have any confidence in my skills (as I said...total noob!) but because it was supposed to be a beginner-friendly cache (highlighted in green in the search and everything!) and sure enough, all the many previous logs I read through found it pretty easily.

Basically, I was using my iPhone as a GPS (it's all I've got) and I had really crappy reception (it was within a city, but in a large park that's pretty unused). The signal mostly sucked; I was using the geocaching app and I was keeping an eye on accuracy, and the best I got throughout the walk was 150ft. Which unfortunately is pretty big as the park has lots of possible places to stash things (it's not like all grass or something like that which you could split into quadrants and search, or not without some pretty intensive effort lol). Coverage was patchy too; sometimes it could find my location, but I also got the red dot symbol much of the time. And weirdly enough I would get a note that I'm, say, 375ft from the location, then a minute later it would switch to 432 or something - except all I'd done by way of moving was shift my weight! lol

So, now I don't know what I should enter. Here's the things that concern me:

1) If I put in 'cache not found' now, will I be able to enter a log that I found it at a later date? The thinking is that depending on how much I end up liking geocaching (and on my finances lol) I might end up buying a Proper GPS that doesn't depend on the cellphone network. And if I do, it's highly likely that I'll want to go back to this afternoon's cache to try and locate it. From which it should be cake, because it was one of the easy caches highlighted in green for beginners in the search results. But what if I can't enter 'cache found' if I've already said I didn't find it before?

2) My other concern is that it might be handy for people to know that this isn't a cache they can go looking for if they didn't think to bring their proper gps and all they have is a phone (this could be the sort of cache they'd go looking for on an impulse, eg lunchbreak or passing the time sort of situation - it may be in a park, but it's a really short, leisurely walk from a busy area with lots of walkers, so it's a natural fit). What is the best way to achieve this - a Didn't Find log is truthful but people preparing to go to the cache might not bother reading the comment so that they won't know, whereas they might be curious about a Write Note log and read that but it's not truthful.

What is the right thing to do in this case, please?

Logging a DNF doesn't stop you from logging a find in the future ... fortunately, as many of us, even as we gain experience will DNF a cache and then go back later with better equipment, a hint from the cache owner, or just more time and persistence. My approach is to always log my DNFs and be happy when I can later make a find. Welcome to caching ... I hope you continue and enjoy it.

1) Post a DNF. You can always log a "found it" later on. Posting a log is documentation of an event. You look, you don't find it, you post a DNF. You go back, look again, don't find it again, post another DNF. You go back again, finally find it, post a "found it".

2) Put it in your DNF log. People will read the log no matter if it's a note or a DNF, or they won't read it no matter if it's a note or a DNF.

Edited by dfx

Logging a DNF doesn't stop you from logging a find in the future ... fortunately, as many of us, even as we gain experience will DNF a cache and then go back later with better equipment, a hint from the cache owner, or just more time and persistence. My approach is to always log my DNFs and be happy when I can later make a find. Welcome to caching ... I hope you continue and enjoy it.

Cool! DNF it is then :-) And yes, I think it still looks like something I can grow to love, despite the initial setback :) It's made up of all kinds of things I like, and none that I don't (at least none I can think of!) So all good.

1) Post a DNF. You can always log a "found it" later on. Posting a log is documentation of an event. You look, you don't find it, you post a DNF. You go back, look again, don't find it again, post another DNF. You go back again, finally find it, post a "found it".

2) Put it in your DNF log. People will read the log no matter if it's a note or a DNF, or they won't read it no matter if it's a note or a DNF.

Okay, that works for me. I was reluctant to post anything other than DNF: I'm an archaeologist & all-around history geek, so I hated the idea of not documenting things as they happened - felt fraudulent you know? And I guess you have a point about not reading, especially once my log gets to be too far down the list of entries - I imagine most will read the first few, not the entire thing!

I cache with my phone about half the time and run into the same problem. I usually post a DNF, with a liberal amount of sarcasm concerning smart phone accuracy, that folks know that it was my limited technology that handicapped me.

Better luck next time :)

yep, hope so. OTOH it is nice to have this option as with good coverage (ie 5 bars of 3G coverage) it can be pretty snappy! For the past couple of years I've been using the Maps app quite a bit for navigating to a pharmacy, a restaurant, etc, and sometimes the thing could even tell when I'd crossed the road! so not as bad I guess, just a bit unreliable :P And even if/when I get a 'real' GPS, I'd be unlikely to carry it around everyday on a just-in-case basis - I'd only use it if I was planning on going geocaching. But there's still plenty of times I can see myself wanting to do it on impulse (maybe not in ten minutes like the guy on the ad for the app lol, but on a break from a cancelled meeting or something, yeah :)

thanks!

If you didn't find it you didn't find it. DNF, duuuuh!!!

Yup. What he said. End of story. Suck it up, and welcome to the real world of geocaching. You'll find many and miss out on a few. Log your DNF and move on. I know your new and I know the frustration a "newbie" feels when they can't find the cache but you must move on. Look for easier caches to start off with, keep away from micros. Read the logs to make sure that, yes, even you can find it. We all went through this so don't feel alone...you're not.

Edited by luvvinbird

You've got the answer - DNF it. You will find it and then log your "found." We didn't find a few on our first foray, eventually the geosense kicks in. Be aware though, that there will be days when that geosense takes off, and if you are like me, will experience geodense. Temporary affliction, thankfully....

Edited by popokiiti

Log DNF.

You can always add an explanation to the log eg. "Still trying to get to grips with the kit!"

Your "Found" count shows, and most cachers reading your DNF will take the low 'Found' count in to consideration.

I always read the recent DNF logs, to see why the cacher didn't find the cache,and if they say things like short of time, getting late, too many muggles around, I'll still have a go for the cache.

If you haven't found any caches yet, one small word of warning....even if you go back next week with a "proper" GPS, don't expect the find to automatically be easy! An "easy" find for an experienced cacher can still be tricky for a newbie.

More accurate technology will get you to the location quicker and easier, but you still may be surprised how tricky it is to actually find the cache. I liken it to flying an airplane...your instruments will lead you to the airport, but your skill and experience will be needed to land the plane!

Good luck!

Is that a first generation iPhone? (aka not a 3G/3GS/4) Because that would explain the accuracy issues, the original iPhone does not have a GPS chip at all and thus is not accurate and not really suited to Geocaching. (You'd do better looking at the location on Google Maps or something, though obviously the best thing to do would be to get an actual GPS of some sort.)

Edit: By "actual GPS" I mean something with a real GPS chip inside it, whether it's a smartphone, portable car GPS, or the hiking style GPS units.

Edited by EdrickV
1) If I put in 'cache not found' now, will I be able to enter a log that I found it at a later date?
As others have indicated, you can certainly log a Find after logging a DNF. From experience, I can say that it is perfectly possible to log a Find after logging 5 or 6 DNFs.
1) If I put in 'cache not found' now, will I be able to enter a log that I found it at a later date?
As others have indicated, you can certainly log a Find after logging a DNF. From experience, I can say that it is perfectly possible to log a Find after logging 5 or 6 DNFs.

Oh, for sure! I wrote the book on DNF's. I just got one today that I couldn't get before and it was so obvious

. What was I thinking? But hey, it's all part of the game. Log that darn DNF and move on.