Difference between "visited and dropped off"

tasuki201

Hey guys.

I'm kinda new and i was wondering what the difference was between visited and dropped off. Also what does visited mean? I know dropped off is when you leave the geocoin or TB at the cache but what do you do with visited?

Thanks

With visited you drop and retrieve the TB in one go: you dip the trackable in the cache so to speak. For what use you're asking? Really no idea!

When a coin visits the cache it means you have the coin with you when you found the cache but you don't leave it at that cache. It allows the coin to gain that extra mileage before you actually drop it off at a cache. Some people, like myself, use a Trackable as a mileage tracker. Having it visit every cache they go to keeping track of where they have been. Its interesting to look at the trackable's map and see where it has been.

Hey guys.

I'm kinda new and i was wondering what the difference was between visited and dropped off. Also what does visited mean? I know dropped off is when you leave the geocoin or TB at the cache but what do you do with visited?

Thanks

With visited you drop and retrieve the TB in one go: you dip the trackable in the cache so to speak. For what use you're asking? Really no idea!

No need to Drop and Retrieve it. In the dropdown box there is an option for visit. This was added about a year ago and I SURE AM GLAD!! It really saves time.

Hey guys.

Thanks

No need to Drop and Retrieve it. In the dropdown box there is an option for visit. This was added about a year ago and I SURE AM GLAD!! It really saves time.

that's not what they said...read their reply again

Hey guys.

Thanks

that's not what they said...read their reply again

ok.....i read it again....now what should I do?

Why Visit?

Other than the trackable is a personal mileage tracker.

You may have a trackable with a mission. Lets say it wants to be Dropped in caches with 'Mine' in the title.

You find a cache at 'Ye Olde Gold Mine' and think "Great!" But it's a mico and the trackable wont fit...

Previous option was to Drop and then Retrieve the trackable to get the mission. Now? Just Visit, job done!

Also, Earthcaches don't have a container to drop trackables in!

(The site was programmed that trackables couldn't be Dropped, so couldn't be Retrieved, so NEVER got recognition of being there... :( )

The point in trackables is to travel, but not all caches are suitable for leaving a trackable in, or you may be planning a trip to a more suitable cache in the ear future so want to hang on to a trackable for a while longer. Because of this many people want to include the trackable in their intermediate journeys between finding it and eventually dropping it off.

Dropped off means the obvious - you have dropped off the trackable in the relevant cache, leaving it there for someone else to discover.

Visited means that the trackable visited the cache with you - it was with you, but didn't get left behind - so the temporary stop is logged on the trackables page as part of its journey, and it gets the extra mileage counted between the caches it visited, not just between the one it was picked up from and the one it was dropped off in. Basically it is an extra to allow you to give a trackable a bit of an extra 'story' and a more interesting journey while in your possession. It is possible to drop a trackable in a cache then immediately pick it up again which accomplishes the same thing, the 'visited' option was added to make this easier.

As mentioned above many people (myself included) also use a trackable as a personal mascot/mileage tracker - I have in my possession my trackable, and it 'visits' all the caches I do which shows my journeys cache to cache on the geocaching website. In many ways a silly and pointless endeavour, but amusing none the less.

Hey guys.

Thanks

The visited option allows you to show the traveler was at the cache but you didn't leave it behind. Perhaps the cache was too small or you planned of taking it further down the trail but you wanted to give the bug credit for having been there.

Edited by BlueDeuce