DNFs as a CO

BrixingtonPaddler

What do people do if someone logs a DNF?

I have a few caches going now, all ticking along nicely, always getting finds, only had a couple of caches gone walkies

I have just put a new cache out that i like to think is well hidden, but even though I got a DNF for it, I feel bad for them not finding it, and want to go make sure that it is still there

On a single DNF, I don't usually do anything. I've had DNFs from experienced cachers on caches that are really easy to find, without the cache ever having had a problem. It was just one of those days for them, they later went back and found it without problems. Of course, if the cache is easily accessible for you, you can still go and check on it. Or you can send them a message, maybe find out if they were in the right area at all, maybe offer hints, maybe find out this way if the cache could be missing or not.

I've had occasional DNF's which I would watch to see if more followed. If there's two or more in a row, I'll go to the cache and see what's up. Once in awhile, I'll get a single DNF from someone who was clearly frustrated with not finding it or from a parent who's kids couldn't find it. I will usually send them an e-mail with a little clue. That always gets a positive response and a nice "found" log entry. I want people to find my caches and I especially like the youngsters to be successful.

I frequently miss the easy ones, but find the ones that have had a few DNF's, or are more difficult. Maybe it is because I don't expect to find the trickier ones and I'm more relaxed? The "easy" ones have given me have given more grey hairs, I'm sure!

I do know that we are both guilty of overthinking the issue on many caches...

A single DNF usually doesn't concern me, unless it is an experienced cacher and what should be a very easy cache.

I usually wait until 3 consecutive DNFs before checking on a cache. 2 if it's an easier cache and the searchers were experienced.

If the searchers are inexperienced then I could go longer. For example I have one cache that is rather difficult. It had 4 consecutive DNFs, but all 4 were novices with only a few finds, so I wasn't too worried. Sure enough, an experienced cacher found it a few days later.