Blocking a cacher's hides...

I know I saw something posted here awhile ago on ignoring a cacher's hides, but I can't find it now. Does anyone know how to do this? It's just the one series that I really want to "ignore" but since it would take too long to ignore them individually (close to 200 at last count and more to be come :blink: ), it would be easier to just ignore all of their caches. When I put in a zip code to search for nearby caches, these take up 6 or 7 pages (so far). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There is currently no way to ignore all caches placed by one particular CO.

This has been asked for, and has been officially stated to be under consideration, but I doubt anything will be done.

Unfortunately, ignoring the caches individually is your only option at present. If you do them in batches a few at a time as you have time, it really won't take as long as you think to get through the list.

Grammie, do you use pocket queries?

If so, there's a monkey script that will let you block a particular user.

You'll need someone brighter than me to figure out how it works. :lol:

What? :o

Where!? :unsure:

Actually, my need for something like this has passed. :mellow:

I'm not familiar with the Grease-monkey script, but I do know you can ignore caches from within GSAK...which still leaves your PQ clogged with caches you don't want to see.

Easy enough to do with Geosphere on the iPhone.

Build your PQ the way you want it, without worrying whose caches are in it,

Download the PQ to your iPhone,

Search the results by cache owner text contains the one you don't like...

And then mass-delete the search results.

You could then export what remains to a new GPX file.

I gotta believe there's similar functionality in GSAK for PC users?

Edited by Portland Cyclist

I think my head just exploded. :blink:

I'm a techno retro. All the equipment I use is way behind the times. I still hunt caches via wifi smoke signals.

AZcachemeister - Thanks, I guess that's what I'll have to do. I really was hoping there would be a better option. Maybe they'll seriously consider it :grin:

Clan Riffster - No, I don't use them. Actually, I don't really know how :laughing: I'll have to ask my daughter when I go down to visit in October!

Portland - I don't have an iPhone. I'm lucky I have a gps that I know how to use and my generic cell phone :yikes:

I think I'm just plain stuck with ignoring them one at a time, for now!

As mentioned earlier GSAK is the answer (to almost all questions about manipulating waypoint info). You don't have to do them one at a time.

Drop your PQ into a DB in GSAK. Filter for the CO. Right click and select delete all in filter then select stop future imports from being added. The next time you drop a PQ in to THAT DATABASE (NOT OTHERS) it will not load those caches.

There are also a couple of macros already written that after filtering for the CO will automate the process (delete and open the ignore page for all the caches in that filter but you do have to click the confirmation button).

With the new Bata Version 8 of GSAK (API active) you can "get caches" and exclude "hidden by" (also nice to not get your own caches in a call). That means you don't have to go thru the 'hassle' of manually getting rid of a hider - although the manual method does allow you to ignore only the caches in that series and allowing other caches by them to remain in you DB.

and for us that don't want to pay $600 for a device and $90/mo to make it work?

I'm not familiar with the Grease-monkey script, but I do know you can ignore caches from within GSAK...which still leaves your PQ clogged with caches you don't want to see.

Works until the record limit of your ignore list is reached!

...and for us that don't want to pay $600 for a device and $90/mo to make it work?

Well, you could use GSAK, as I mentioned in the same very post you're replying to (and as other folks have mentioned).

But to use Geosphere, you wouldn't have to buy a top of the line, unlocked iPhone, and an option-loaded or family data plan (which would be the only way to get the prices into the range you suggest).

Brand new iPhone 4 models start at $199, and 3GS is still available on Apple's website and elsewhere for $49. Service plans vary, but as a point of comparison my monthly bill is typically around $55/mo (which includes my voice as well as data; not all of that is spent on Geocaching!).

You could also use Geosphere on an iPod Touch or an iPad, at home, with WiFi, without any monthly service fees other than what you're already paying for your internet service. Or not even paying for your own Internet service, if you take your iPhone Touch or iPad to the public library or coffee shop and surf on THEIR connection.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

As mentioned earlier GSAK is the answer (to almost all questions about manipulating waypoint info). You don't have to do them one at a time.

Drop your PQ into a DB in GSAK. Filter for the CO. Right click and select delete all in filter then select stop future imports from being added. The next time you drop a PQ in to THAT DATABASE (NOT OTHERS) it will not load those caches.

There are also a couple of macros already written that after filtering for the CO will automate the process (delete and open the ignore page for all the caches in that filter but you do have to click the confirmation button).

But, your PQ will continue to be clogged with caches you don't want to see/find.

Works until the record limit of your ignore list is reached!

It's unlimited, trust me.

But, your PQ will continue to be clogged with caches you don't want to see/find.

The DeleteIgnoreIgnore macro will delete caches from the GSAK database, block them in GSAK, and open a window to add them to the Geocaching.com ignore list. You do have to also select the option to not include caches on the ignore list in your pocket query options, of course.