"Rescuing" a cache

Off to Somerset in a couple of days. There is a cache that hasn't been found since March 2010 that I'm going to go looking for (GCNZTZ).

I thought I'd seen a thread about caches like this (ie in need of rediscovery) but can't remember what it was about.

Anyone any idea what I'm on about? :laughing:

Also hoping to do my first night cache a few miles south of that one...

It may have been about resuscitator challenge caches - ones where you have to find a cache that hasn't been found for a year or more to qualify for finding the challenge cache.

An example of one of these is HERE and I'm sure there is probably a bookmark list of UK resuscitator challenge caches. (Otherwise just search under cache name for resuscitator, that's what I did to find my example.)

EDIT: LOL, too slow on the uptake for this one

Edited by Hawkins2

The first one was our

GC2FPDY Resuscitator - Challenge Cache

It was just something I though of one day - possibly inspired by Simply Paul's forum thread about forgotten caches

There are three other UK ones that I know of:

GC2HD75 Surrey Resuscitator - Challenge Cache

GC2K3H6 Chorley Challenge #1

GC2Y2ZV Northants Resuscitator Challenge Cache

We even had an email from a South African asking if we minded if he copied the idea!! B)

GC315RW Cape Resuscitator - Challenge Cache

It's amazing many forgotten caches get lots of visits once they have been woken up again

Mark

After coming on here and reading the posts last night I did a search on my local area and found a page and a half of caches requiring a visit.

So The Halflings will be out and about or we could if Delta 68 doesn't mind :ph34r: pinch the text and set a resuscitator ourselves.

Halflings dad

Yeah sure! Go for it! :)

When we set ours it wasn't possible to sort a PQ Preview by 'date last found' so it was a lot harder to spot them than it is now...

How do you get a list of the caches not found in over x long ? (say a year)

You can do a normal search (e.g. stick in your postcode and say 20 mile radius). On the result screen, click the Last Found column heading (first click sorts on latest first, second click sorts the other way round). After the first few unfound caches, then you start to see old dates: the Resuscitator candidates.

Didn't find it :(

Stymied by illegal barbed wire, straight across a footpath (which was labelled as "Public Access land" no less).

Maybe next year...

But I have set up a PQ for local caches which haven't been found and the Surrey cache is on the way home from a meeting in a few weeks time, so might still manage my little self-set challenge.

Edited by family brown