Colorado 300 download problems

A week ago I was downloading PQs into all 3 of my GPSrs without a problem. The only one we have, however that automatically downloads descriptions, hints and logs is our Colorado 300. Last night I was loading some local caches to possibly grab on a shopping trip, and most of the extra details didn't load. Since most of the caches that we tried also didn't even have the cache size specified, it was almost like looking blind. Not only did we not have a description to use, but we didn't have any clue as to size (which is a whole other topic of gripe). Anyway.......... Is it possible that I changed some setting on my colorado so that it is not loading the text? I seems like there were a very few that loaded everything, but not all of the did (which makes it even odder). Or is it maybe something with Easy GPS or my PQs? Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

At any point, have you loaded a non-premium member file?

Seems if you do, the unit can default everything to non premium member, ie you don't see the cache info!

Good to delete ALL cache GPX files occasionally, saves going to look for caches that have been disabled or archived!

Thanks, I will have to do that.

Running Pocket Queries?

Make sure you use the GPX files, and not the LOC files.

The GPX files are emailed (500 caches and under selected) and downloadable from the second tab "Caches Ready for Download" from this page: http://www.geocachin...et/default.aspx

(501 caches and more -up to 1,000- are only available from the download tab)

No need to use any software to transfwr the gpx files, just unzip and copy the two files .gpx and wpts.gpx in to the GPX folder of the Oregon.

(Open a gpx file with notepad or similar, to see what info is there...)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Running Pocket Queries?

Make sure you use the GPX files, and not the LOC files.

The GPX files are emailed (500 caches and under selected) and downloadable from the second tab "Caches Ready for Download" from this page: http://www.geocachin...et/default.aspx

(501 caches and more -up to 1,000- are only available from the download tab)

I am getting them from the email.

That was a bit scary. I deleted all current GPX files, installed BaseCamp, and transferred a PQ directly into Colorado. When I looked for geocaches, the unit said I had none. Tried several transfers to my unit with the same results. Finally, just now, I transferred from EasyGPS to the Colorado and the caches are there. I may not need to do this, there may be a way to skip this step, but for some reason when I skipped this step, nothing would show up on the GPSr. I could see them in the files when I was connected to the computer, but they were not showing on the unit or in BaseCamp. I was really steamed that after a hiatus of about a year, I was getting back into this and was being stymied by my best GPSr unit. I'm just glad it appears to be working again. Thanks for the help. I think it might have been that I did send some LOC files to the unit and it was defaulting to those (or maybe that was all I sent for that very local and quick run for a few caches). Up and running again --- thanks again.

I did send some LOC files to the unit and it was defaulting to those (or maybe that was all I sent for that very local and quick run for a few caches). Up and running again --- thanks again.

Maybe for your local and quick you ran it on the webpage and selected a few then the download button. Those are LOC and don't have much info. To get GPX you need to either click the GPX download button on each page or use a PQ

That was a bit scary. I deleted all current GPX files, installed BaseCamp, and transferred a PQ directly into Colorado. When I looked for geocaches, the unit said I had none. Tried several transfers to my unit with the same results. Finally, just now, I transferred from EasyGPS to the Colorado and the caches are there. I may not need to do this, there may be a way to skip this step, but for some reason when I skipped this step, nothing would show up on the GPSr

Just to clarify. If the pq was zipped (a .zip file) did you unzip it and transfer only the .gpx file? Did you put the .gpx file into the garmin/gpx folder on your unit?

That was a bit scary. I deleted all current GPX files, installed BaseCamp, and transferred a PQ directly into Colorado. When I looked for geocaches, the unit said I had none. Tried several transfers to my unit with the same results. Finally, just now, I transferred from EasyGPS to the Colorado and the caches are there. I may not need to do this, there may be a way to skip this step, but for some reason when I skipped this step, nothing would show up on the GPSr

Just to clarify. If the pq was zipped (a .zip file) did you unzip it and transfer only the .gpx file? Did you put the .gpx file into the garmin/gpx folder on your unit?

Question 1, I let the computer unzip and put all in Garmin/gpx/current folder. Maybe that is what is was.

@ Walts, I do think that is what I did, just to get a half dozen or so for the quick run.

Thank you all for so much help. Next PQ I do I will try again without the EasyGPS and unzip to a desktop folder first, then transfer to the 300.

I did send some LOC files to the unit and it was defaulting to those (or maybe that was all I sent for that very local and quick run for a few caches). Up and running again --- thanks again.

Maybe for your local and quick you ran it on the webpage and selected a few then the download button. Those are LOC and don't have much info. To get GPX you need to either click the GPX download button on each page or use a PQ

I often saw this when exporting caches out of GSAK to my Colorado 300. It would create the GPX file but I guess something was not valid in it or something and no caches would show up. After rebooting and re-export, it would work. I have seen it on a couple of occasions on my Oregon 450. Sometimes it would display the caches but no descriptions (when you try to go back to the list, it shuts down) and other times it would show No Results even though the file was clearly there in both cases. I got burned a couple of times in the field when I forgot to boot up and check a cache to make sure the descriptions where there. It is kind of frustrating at times for sure.