Found/Not found/Note counts

martinp13

I sure would love to be able to see something like:

Found: 27, Not found: 4, Note: 6

at the top of the cache logs. Something so I don't have to scroll down the list to see how many people have done it, had problems with it, etc. You could even change the words to the appropriate icons:

icon_smile.gif = 27, icon_frown.gif = 4, icon_confused.gif = 6

Maybe even add a "last 10" feature so you could see not only the overall history, but recent history:

Last 10: Found: 2, Not found: 4, Note: 4

This data is readily available, so there wouldn't be much "computing" to do. Gosh, it looks like it would take just a couple of print statements! icon_wink.gif Yes, I know, we'll just add it to the "honey-do" list. icon_biggrin.gif

Any other thoughts on this idea?

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by martinp13:

Maybe even add a "last 10" feature so you could see not only the overall history, but recent history:

Last 10: Found: 2, Not found: 4, Note: 4

I think I'd rather see the "last 10" in order

rather than summarized. That way, I could easily

tell the difference between this:

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_frown.gificon_smile.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_frown.gif

and this:

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

One of those caches might have been plundered. The other one is probably just hard to find.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

But your picture on your profile scares me icon_eek.gif

You think that's bad, you should see the other guy... gal... um... You should see Warm's profile picture.

I'm working on a better picture with fewer JPEG artifacts, but that's what I had handy.

I'm sure I'm repeating another post but I'd like to see two ratings:

An Average User Rating based on what the user thinks of the cache.

A found/notfound rating so I can see if this cache is really hard or easy based on the percentage of finds.

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Me too. I would also like to see this info in folks' profile, along with found and hide.

Well, it would appear that "found" is already there, so... you want to add "not found" to the list of stats? Aren't you afraid that will just encourage people to delete their not-found logs, or never make them in the first place? One of the nice things, IMHO, about the current system is that nobody knows how many caches I haven't found. (That'd be 2, but one of them we found on a subsequent trip.)

There are two issues here and they are beginning to overlap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original intention of the thread was to note how many times the CACHE has been found, not-found, and noted. Not the cacher. Seeing how many times a cache has been found or not found is actually very useful. Also having the summary icons for the last ten found/not found logs in order ( icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_smile.gif ) seems like a nice idea too.

As far as the info on the cacher, as stated above, you can already click on his/her profile and see how many found - and I agree, there's no point in counting "not-founds" as I always intend to make additional log entries later and claim the same cache as found.

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

...you want to add "not found" to the list of stats? Aren't you afraid that will just encourage people to delete their not-found logs, or never make them in the first place?

Hmmm, unfortunately, you have a good point. If this were my perfect world, everyone would post their not-founds and that would show up on their profile... I guess I've been a big proponent of people logging not founds, and since making that information public would discourage some folks from doing just that, I retract my suggestion.

I do think there should be that sort of info for the each cache, though.

Jamie (8 not-founds)

Wow, this thread has really gotten off track. The idea was not to display an individual's found/not found numbers, but to simply display on a cache page number of found, not found, and note entries for that cache.

I'm all for it (though I don't really care about the number of notes). My first cache hidden is over a year old, and has been found 69 times. I had to long ago stop counting smiley faces - it made my eyes hurt. When I want a count, I copy the cache page source into UltraEdit, and have it count the number of times it finds the string "icon_happy.gif".

I'd much rather just see the numbers listed on the cache pages.

As for a string of the happy/sad faces showing the last X number of entries, well, that strikes me as screen clutter. It's not really that hard to scan the top few entries.

PS_sig.gif

I think this goes right back to the idea, discussed several times in the past, of not having ANY log entries at all appear on the cache descriptoin page but rather just a summary of the last "X" number of visits in the format...

icon_happy.gif 03/16/02 by Joe_cacher.

icon_happy.gif 03/15/02 by Jane_cacher.

icon_note.gif 03/14/02 by Cache_owner.

icon_sad.gif 03/13/02 by Jane_cacher.

icon_happy.gif 03/10/02 by Bill_cacher.

icon_happy.gif 02/28/02 by Betty_cacher.

Etc...

Each summary log entry would be a link to the text of that cacher's log entry and at the bottom it could be followed by...

Click HERE to see all the logs for this cache.

We already have to click a link to see more than the last 5 or so log entries, why not just remove the logs from the cache description page entirely and replace them with the summary log entries?

This way the initial cache page displayed would be print friendly (no logs), it would display all the information you needed (i.e. date last found, who found it, date last not found, date of last maintenance visit etc...), but would not reveal any potential spoilers.

Oh, one other option I'd like to see on the "log a find" page. In addition to the "found", "not found", and "note" icons what does everyone think of a "maintenance" icon? Maybe like a .gif of a little wrench that one could use to indicate maintenance or repairs were performed on the cache.

Regards,

Tedoca

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

(though I don't really care about the number of notes)

It would be useful for event caches, where only notes are posted before the event. Otherwise you're right... there isn't much use. icon_smile.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Tedoca:

Love em both!

The no-logs-unless-requested idea would help Jeremy on bandwidth (people wouldn't be forced to read my long-winded logs!), and would save on paper. icon_smile.gif I'd still like a total count at the top of the section, tho.

And I like the wrench icon too...

> Martin (Magellan 330)

quote:
Originally posted by Tedoca:

I think this goes right back to the idea, discussed several times in the past, of not having ANY log entries at all appear on the cache descriptoin page but rather just a summary of the last "X" number of visits in the format...

Sorry, but I think this is a move in the wrong direction. A bunch of icon_smile.gif and icon_frown.gif icons with names beside them really don't do much to indicate the caching experience.

Most people want to see the logs when they visit a cache page. A scheme like this would not only mean more clicking for the user, but would actually increase site traffic, as the header information would have to be transmitted twice (nobody's going to click a link for each log when they can click a single link and get all of them a once).

Personally, I'd like to see a profile setting that allowed you to set the initial number of logs displayed on a cache page. Don't want to see the logs without clicking a link? Then you could change your setting to 0. Best of both worlds.

While I'm on a soap box, I'd also like to see an Auto-Decrypt setting. Turn in on, and it will automatically decrypt any cache page you view that you've already logged as found. (Yes, I can see you nodding in agreement right now...) And that could be carried over to watchlist emails as well.

PS_sig.gif

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on March 18, 2002 at 03:15 PM.]