Travel Bug Race - National Trust

Hi there all, my first post on here so please be nice.

I've recently set up a series of caches at Arlington Court in Devon and am really enjoying seeing how many people are visiting to find some or all of them. One idea that I've had, off the back of finding a TB with a stopwatch attached was to have a Race between several NT properties to see how many NT properties a TB can travel to in a certain amount of time. This could mean several TBs being dropped all at the same time in various parts of the country and creates a bit of fun for those who find them.

Anyway, my point in posting is that I'd like to know if anyone knows of similar types or races taking place?

Did they make the finds more fun?

Would you travel specifically to a local cache, should it contain one of these TB to help it on its way?

Have you got any hints and tips for me to try and make it a success?

I'm fairly new to setting these up and really feel it's an excellent way to promote access to NT properties.

Many thanks

George Holmes

Ranger

Arlington Court

Travel Bugs don't move very fast, a stop watch probably isn't going to be the ideal method of tracking the time it takes to move them. The website will do that for you (assuming the bugs get logged correctly).

Also trackables have a tendancy to go missing for a while, or head off in random directions.

Well placed caches would be a great draw for your area. And if you have the money a Geocoin for finding some (most?) of them could be a fantastic way to get cachers to visit.

Travel Bugs don't move very fast, a stop watch probably isn't going to be the ideal method of tracking the time it takes to move them. The website will do that for you (assuming the bugs get logged correctly).

Also trackables have a tendancy to go missing for a while, or head off in random directions.

Well placed caches would be a great draw for your area. And if you have the money a Geocoin for finding some (most?) of them could be a fantastic way to get cachers to visit.

I got the idea from the stopwatch, but wouldn't use one. The item would be something related to each property the TB originated from. I shall look into Geo coins also.

Cheers

George

Would you need to be NT members to take part?

Don't forget that the NT (and NTS) also own land, which the public may enter without charge (some may have chargeable car parks).

Have a look at our TB - TB331PG. Its page can be found here.

We set this go on NT land with the hope that it will travel around the UK visiting as many NT properties as possible.

Mnementh

Have you got any hints and tips for me to try and make it a success?

I'm fairly new to setting these up and really feel it's an excellent way to promote access to NT properties.

a stop watch probably isn't going to be the ideal method of tracking the time it takes to move them. The website will do that for you (assuming the bugs get logged correctly).

This page in our Knowledge Books might be helpful:

2.2. Displaying Several Trackables on the Same Page, Good For Races

And perhaps other folks in this forum may like the idea and use it for their own purposes as well.