I hate BT !

Palujia

The very first cache I put out,the first in a small circular "drive by" series, (my wife can't walk far, but she does like to maintain the caches) was called "Phone(y) Tree (GC28M2K). This was due to it being in close proximity to one of those mobile phone masts badly disquised as a fir tree.

To my horror, this week the sods have come and taken the mast down. This not only invalidates the Cache title, but also the clue. Should I try and re-name it, or archive it and start again. It's a good location for a cache and the start and/or end of Judith's circlar drive ! I have had some logs (when the "Tree" was still up) saying that they did not understand the clue - How can you miss a very large, very badly disguised Fir tree mobile phone mast ?? so I'm tempted to leave it as it is ?

Firstly...How very DARE they???!!! :laughing:

Good idea of mickyz to use a photo of the mast and work from that. You could use one of thse jigsaw puzzle ideas for a cache and then ask them to spot the difference at the cache site! :laughing: (Just a suggestion.) No need to move it, but you will need to think of a way for the hint to match the find. You could perhaps find a fir tree mobile phone shaped tin or plastic box as a cache container (No, maybe not. I'm barking up the wrong tree there. OK, maybe I'm just barking with that one).

Firstly...How very DARE they???!!! :laughing:

Good idea of mickyz to use a photo of the mast and work from that. You could use one of thse jigsaw puzzle ideas for a cache and then ask them to spot the difference at the cache site! :laughing: (Just a suggestion.) No need to move it, but you will need to think of a way for the hint to match the find. You could perhaps find a fir tree mobile phone shaped tin or plastic box as a cache container (No, maybe not. I'm barking up the wrong tree there. OK, maybe I'm just barking with that one).

Complain to OFCOM.

You can rename it. This came up for me as I have a hamster cache in the planning but I didn't put 'hamster' in the cache title in case it got stolen and I later want to replace it with just a smaller, more usual cache with a trickier hiding spot. After a little discussion, I found out that it is possible (rare though) to rename a cache after publication (given the type of reason you have) but it does help if you can have some reference to the original name (e.g. "Concrete Slab (was 'Phon(y) Tree)") (Felled Tree (was Phone(y) Tree)). If someone has done one or two of the caches in the series and returns months later, it helps them see what is going on.

I thought that was helpful, so decided to change the name of the cache to include 'Higgy Hamster' and if it gets muggled, I will either rename it or archive it and place another one.

There will be some who have got the old info on their GPS as pocket queries and I don't think you can do much about that. It just means you get people turning up now and again not realising there has been a change and being bit confused. If they use a smart phone as well, they'll have updated cache pages so perhaps that happens less often now than it did.

Why not Phone(y)Tree No More

Add a piece to the description explaining what used to be there, and the fact that you have kept the cache going due to the views/location etc.

Let people know clue has changed by note, in body of page or in clue itself (now under pile of sticks).

That way you are still keeping most of the name so as not to confuse. Not a lot else you can do if cachers working from old PQ's.

Wouldn't archive/start again unless absolutely necessary as you are just making previous finders return to the same spot.

Edited by perth pathfinders