Street Art/Guerilla Gardening Cache

Hello Guys,

this is my first posting, I've searched a bit... and couldn't find anything.

Today I bought flowers for my girlfriend. She lives in a flat without balcony & garden, but she's got a dog and daily walks around in a near by park.

So what I did: I took a shovel, searched for a nice place and planted these flowers in a public place (guerilla gardening).

This park is HUGE - it's a mixture of a big lawn and a forest.

Now... I'd like to see if others would expand (hope that's the right wording) my idea and also plant some flowers etc. etc. - just for fun - therefor I'd setup a "cache" in form of that place + a little box where you can put your name + name of the plant on a piece of paper etc.

Would this project fit into geochaching guidlines?

How should I name it?

What do you think about the idea?

To be honest I also thought giving it a serious background - like for the vicitms of Norway, Somalia, Afghanistan - for fallen people around the world we think of from time to time. I care about these victims in Nowary, I'm an empathic and emotional person. But it shouldn't be something like a "candle in the wind" heartbreak song it should be there to really remember, what it's all about: 'bout love & peace (sounds lame perhaps, it's my truth). When you plant something, you do something active, it will grow, it will be beautiful, you give life - you'll never forget that. When you walk by, you remember...

Thx for your replies,

-Ikarus-

Iphone 3GS pics suck

flowerpower.JPG

Edited by IkarusIntense

Digging in a public park could be illegal and considered destruction of property/ vandalism. Yes your adding to the beauty of the park but your doing so without permission. Also Geocaching forbids digging when it comes to caches. They don't want destruction of property. If you want to place a cache in the park then do so. But if you want to encourage others to plant something at the park then talk to the city about it. Maybe a section of the park can be set aside for public planting with guidelines of the plants allowed. Many cities have ordinances regarding the kinds of plants in public areas. They may want to limit the plants to indigenous species only.

Digging in a public park could be illegal and considered destruction of property/ vandalism. Yes your adding to the beauty of the park but your doing so without permission. Also Geocaching forbids digging when it comes to caches. They don't want destruction of property. If you want to place a cache in the park then do so. But if you want to encourage others to plant something at the park then talk to the city about it. Maybe a section of the park can be set aside for public planting with guidelines of the plants allowed. Many cities have ordinances regarding the kinds of plants in public areas. They may want to limit the plants to indigenous species only.

Good reply, thanks for it - I'll talk to these ordinances ;-)

I've always wanted to combine my public arts with geocaching but a good deal of it falls under vandalism, so a big no go on most of what I do. But I did find one that seems to fit in with caching and I'm playing with this summer.

I do Yarn Bombing. Which according to my local bi-law guy, is ok because it is easily removable and does not fall under what most municipalities consider 'graffiti'

So I've started attaching a 'Discover Me' tag with a Trackable number on it.

I haven't put many out yet but the solitary discoverer of my random arts, really seemed to like it.

I do love the gardening idea. I've been known to carry packs of wild-flower seed to spread about.

I've also been eager to try 'Green' graffiti with using moss on walls.

Make sure if you're spreading seeds or plants around that you check and make sure they're not considered a noxious weed. One of my pet peeves is wildflower mixes that contain oxeye daisies, or loosestrife. :anibad:

Thank you for the heads-up. I suppose I assumed that no company would put noxious weeds into their mixes. Guess I'm wrong! I'll make sure to read my packets more carefully before I go all Johnny Appleseed again. B)

Would this project fit into geochaching guidlines?

To be honest I also thought giving it a serious background - like for the vicitms of Norway, Somalia, Afghanistan - for fallen people around the world we think of from time to time. I care about these victims in Nowary, I'm an empathic and emotional person.

I think the gardening thing is interesting. But a cache as you describe it, even well intentioned, would violate the "agenda" guidelines and would not be approved.