Drag & Drop GPS Units

I have a Magellan Explorist GC. It's my first Magellan unit and so far the ability to simply drag and drop a GPX file and go has outweighed the fact that the GPS really doesn't impress me functionally.

I want to keep the drag and drop paperless simplicity but consider some other options. What is out there now that gives you the same drag and drop paperless.

To explain:

- I connect the GPS to my computer by USB

- I select "connect to computer" on GPS

- GPS appears as hard drive on computer

- I can drag a GPX file raw (no GSAK, etc.) from my computer into the mounted drive

- Disconnect

- GPS processes copied GPX files

I put 2000 points on my Explorist GC tonight in under 3 minutes. I've never had a unit so easy to use like that. But the actual GPS seems a little "rubbery" to me and I wish it did routing as well.

Thanks for any help.

Outside of the explorist it has been about 6 years since I bought a handheld. What's the water mark for these more modern Garmins? When did it start?

Budget wise I'm thinking 300-600 would be ideal but if something awesome is just above that I could be talked into it pretty easy.

With that budget you can get just about any unit. The Garmin Montana is the new "do it all" GPS that has just about every feature (except Wherigo.) Amazon has the entry level unit for $337 right now with the high end at $576. Also check out the 62 series if you like units that have buttons and not touch screens.

Outside of the explorist it has been about 6 years since I bought a handheld. What's the water mark for these more modern Garmins? When did it start?

Budget wise I'm thinking 300-600 would be ideal but if something awesome is just above that I could be talked into it pretty easy.

watch for sales and you can get an Oregon 450 way under your budget, last time it was on sale it went for $229...