Travelling the world via travel bug

u1bd2005

There are lots of places in the world I would like to visit, and until I get a job, passport, etc... that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

So I've decided that something Travel Bug related would be a good idea, just ordered a travel bug off one of the international sites listed on the main site.

My question is, I'm thinking of making whatever I attach the travel Bug too contain my avatar and get people to upload pics as it travels the world (with certain locations in the description that i want it to visit) to the gallery of my travel bug page.

What would you recommend as a good idea to attach to the travel bug that I can easily incorporate my avatar onto?

A few ideas I had are keyrings (would be simple to do), or a small teddy bear with my avatar embroided on the chest (though may be a little costly)

Any other ideas that you would recommend?

Many Thanks

u1bd2005

Edited by u1bd2005

Cool idea.

I don't recommmend the teddy bear for two reasons. At first, the teddy bear will be too cute and too likely to be stolen (just as my Winnie the Pooh was).

Then, after a while, if it lasts long enough, the TB is sure to be left in a cache that gets wet inside and the teddy bear will turn into a soggy moldy mess.

How about one of those embedded in acrylic thingies?

Have fun, and good luck!

The best part about tracking bugs is you can attach them to just about anything. My favorite was a can opener, but some people on here have crazy stories of things they have found attached to bugs. I recommend not making it a toy, otherwise someone might want to take it. Just walk around your house and look for things that would fit in a cache that you do not need. Think outside the box and be unique.

The best part about tracking bugs is you can attach them to just about anything. My favorite was a can opener, but some people on here have crazy stories of things they have found attached to bugs. I recommend not making it a toy, otherwise someone might want to take it. Just walk around your house and look for things that would fit in a cache that you do not need. Think outside the box and be unique.

+1

What he ^ said

ETA: forgot to type, doh

Edited by enola05

Also, size matters. Even a small teddy bear won't fit in a smaller cache. Consider something that will fit into a smaller container and those the pick it up won't hold onto it for a long time because they can't find a cache big enough to put it in. When launching a travel bug, be realistic with the fact that many, if not most of them eventually go missing, and you probably won't see it again. When writing up the trackable item page, be clear but flexible about the goal. I picked up a TB a few years ago that was a small lion with a goal to visit all US states. After contacting the owner I took it to Rome and got a photo of it at the Colosseum. In that case, the TB owner hadn't considered the possibility that it might travel abroad. In another case, I picked up a TB that wanted to go to a specific waterfall in Thailand. I wasn't able to bring it there but I did take it to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe.

Yeh kinda expecting it to go missing eventually, but who knows, I may get to most of my targets before then.

But I've had another idea too, make an impression of my thumbprint into some clay or something, then put it in a small clear container and seal it shut.

Would that work well do you think?

I recommend sending out several. Almost all of ours have gone missing. :sad: Muggles, new cachers who don't know what they are, and TB/coin collectors get a hold of them. My kids were bummed as they wanted to see their bugs travel around. We'll send out more anyway, just because it's fun. And one is bound to survive at some point.

I wonder if there are any travel bugs out there still traveling for a long period of time... does geocaching.com have any of those stats? I know we can see our own, but I mean overall.

Well, the travel bug i found today has been traveling since 2006 according to its page, and has been throughout various parts of the world and traveled nearly 3,500 miles. yet its current location is only 50 mile or so from where it was originally released 5 years ago lol.

I just came back from my vacation (went to visit my wife's family) and managed to find two TB's that have ben travelling together for nearly 1k miles. I dropped them off, and tacked on another 808 miles for them ;-) I also dropped my first TB in a local cache before we left. It's still sitting there, but I'm patient. When I dropped mine, it has no attatchment. Just dropped him in the cache. I DID however make sure it was a cache that is highly unlikely to get muggled. It's in a 6" x 6" container that took me three tries to find. It took me so long because it's well off the trail, well hidden, and well camoflauged. I do like the thumbprint idea though. Very cool.

We moved a TB that wanted to go back to Australia - attached was a gorgeous wooden manta ray. Well, that's what it looked like to me...we took a pic and uploaded it to the bug's page. You can request photos, some will honour that request, others may be unable to do so. Be prepared that the bug may stall - mine never made it off Vancouver Island..its mission was to go across Canada, then the world. I have no idea where it may be now. I hope you have better luck with yours, and get a lot of photos.