IF I change my Geocahing Name?

LordShamrock

I've been debating on if I wanted to change my geocaching name or not. I had a few questions on if I did change it..

1. Would it automatically change on the forums here? ( I don't recall if i had to register separately)

2. Might owners delete my online logs if the physical log had my old username on it?

I only have 40 finds so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to post a note on 40 logs saying Changed username from this to this...

I would like just to know what the proper geocaching etiquette would be in the situation.

I've been debating on if I wanted to change my geocaching name or not. I had a few questions on if I did change it..

1. Would it automatically change on the forums here? ( I don't recall if i had to register separately)

2. Might owners delete my online logs if the physical log had my old username on it?

I only have 40 finds so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to post a note on 40 logs saying Changed username from this to this...

I would like just to know what the proper geocaching etiquette would be in the situation.

As I recall when i changed my username long ago CO's will not delete your logs.

and i think gc.com and the forums are connected. Meaning they use the same username.

Even the cache owners who like deleting logs probably won't delete yours. If any do, just send them an email and explain. Name changes aren't uncommon around here.

When I began considering breaking off from my group account (which leaves the same issue) but hadn't done it yet, I started signing the physical log with both my old group name and the name I was planning to switch to. That helped me migrate over more gradually.

I changed name.

IF it bothers you, put your old name on your profile page. "Previously known as ..." or such.

Forums are linked, but you will have to log out of the forums, then log back in.

Name will change across the system, but your first post at the top of this page will keep your old name.

If it really, really bothers you, go and re-log all your finds with your new name! :laughing:

The change over is automatic. You will need to sign out then back in on both GC and the forums. I would not worry about any one deleting a find.

Remember though that you can only do it ONCE on your own.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=115

It doesn't say anywhere that you can only change your username only one time.

If it really, really bothers you, go and re-log all your finds with your new name! :laughing:

If the system automatically changes your username on your online logs, wouldn't going back and re-logging under the new name give double numbers?

Re-log, in the log book, with your new name...

:P

Oooh, that would make one a Puritan Extraordinaire! :lol:

:P backatcha.

:lol: