Downloading maps to Montana

I tried to download my city navigator and some trail and topo maps to my Montana. First it took about three or four attempts before it finished the process. Then after I got it to go all the way through it doesn't show the topo maps . And all the maps I downloaded at the same time are grouped together on my Montana and can't be separably enabled. On my old Oregon 450 I had to download all the maps at one time to get them all on their. It seems to be a different for my Montana. Should I download each map one at a time? Or will each map override the other? Not sure how to get each different maps on it so they can be enabled separably. Thought I'd post here before I call Garmin.

I download each map type separately. It will create a file in <device>:\Garmin called "gmapsupp.img" or something like that. I rename that, to say "topo2008.img", then do the next map, etc.. At the end I have separate .img files that show up as separate maps and can be enabled separately.

I download each map type separately. It will create a file in <device>:\Garmin called "gmapsupp.img" or something like that. I rename that, to say "topo2008.img", then do the next map, etc.. At the end I have separate .img files that show up as separate maps and can be enabled separately.

It would be great if Garmin would supply a decent map download tool, but since they don't I just keep a window open on M:\Garmin and rename the file at the end of each transfer, and then delete all the segments from the map list, choose the next map and repeat.

I swear, I think the developers at Garmin must never use any of the stuff they write.

I had all my maps downloaded to a 8 gb card. I tried downloading the topo map to my Montana. But it still doesn't show the topo lines. Not sure where the problem lies? Do you download all your maps directly to your unit or to a card? When I downloaded them one by one to my card , each map would erase the previous one. Ar least that's how it worked on my Oregon.

If city navigator is active, it will overlay over the topo maps causing the lines not to show.

That's why I have them set up the way I do, so I can enable whatever I need at the time. Garmin's "combined in one file" scheme is lame and as with most Garmin software doesn't really work well when you get out in the real world and actually use the product.

Thanks everyone . I have successfully reloaded all my maps one by one and renamed them as I went. I have northwest topo with trails and Washington topo and Northwest trails. When I enable both Northwest topo , washington topo and Northwest trails the trails are not exact. Any one have a opinion which set up is more accurate?