UK Benchmarking (Trig Points)

Chris n Maria

When the benchmark database was in beta I sent Jeremy the database of UK trig points and he said he would add it to the site, then I sent it to him again recently when he requested it on the UK forum.

Wonder if there is a technical problem with implementing it, wish we knew.

I wish someone would tell us what, if anything, is happening. If this has been put on a back-burner due to other priorities then thats fine, but could someone at least let us know if this is the case?

Thanks a lot.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

I think we're going to have to give up on any hope of this being incorporated, or of getting a comment on the state-of-play.

Its a pity, given the enthusiasm for the idea in the UK and the work that people have already done in providing the list of points for Geocaching.com to use. It would have been nice to at least receive an acknowledgement, but I guess there are other, more pressing priorities.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

I emailed geocaching.com about the lack of response to this thread and whether the UK benchmarks were going to be incorporated into the site. I got a reply from Jeremy which he said I could post here:

"Yes, we will add them but unfortunately due to the amount of time we currently have it won't occur for a while. We have more pressing issues with keeping up with traffic on the site, so we have to convert some code over. We are still planning on offering it, however.

I do not monitor every forum, so it's not my ignoring certain posts. I just don't have the time to read everything in the forums nowadays.

Jeremy"

So now we know!

I guess the reason adding UK trig points to the site is such a low priority is that, unlike the NGS, the Ordnance Survey can remember where they put them... So we Brits don't need to go around, ahem, "rediscovering" our benchmarks :-)

Still, having been going GTB'ing (gratuitous trigpoint bagging) for many years now, it'd be nice to have somewhere to record my eccentricities!

quote:
Still, having been going GTB'ing (gratuitous trigpoint bagging) for many years now, it'd be nice to have somewhere to record my eccentricities!

The new UK geocaching site here is, I believe, aiming to host the logging of these in the future given that nothing is happening here. A bit of healthy site competition should be good for things I think.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Jeremy's email originally posted by Gary & Jane:

"Yes, we will add them but unfortunately due to the amount of time we currently have it won't occur for a while. We have more pressing issues with keeping up with traffic on the site, so we have to convert some code over. We are still planning on offering it, however.

Jeremy"

I like the changes now made to help speed up the site and can see why they were a necessary priority over this so many thanks for them.

If the changes are now working OK, is there any chance of getting the UK trig points issue put back on the "to-do" list?

Thanks a lot.

Rich

mobilis in mobili